The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

My thoughts on the % based DC bans

I think the percentage based DC bans are flawed. I think it should be based on how many times you dc not on the percentage of the games you played. For me I have 3 reasons to DC. The DC that hurts my team the most is when I get found within 20 seconds, get hooked and then farmed to be downed again within 1,5 min of playtime. I then DC and call that a rage DC. I am sure many experienced this and in the end its a moment of weakness and you hurt your teammates.

My other 2 most DC's are 1: the game starts and it ends up beeing a 1v3 game. I refuse to play 1v3 games because I bought the game to play a 1v4 game. In a 1v4 game each survivor has to repair 125% of a generator. However in a 1v3 game this becomes 133.34% of a generator meaning the survivors have a disadvantage from the beginning. 2: the game starts and one of the teammates instantly DC's making it a 1v3 with 5 generators to go. Obviously I DC this since this makes it 166.67% of a generator per survivor.

Now that I explained that I do DC sometimes I want to explain why I think the percentage system is flawed. Lets say you have 2 players. Player 1 plays 100 games in a month and DC's 10% of its games. This mean as a maximum of 40 other players get affected by this person's DC's 30 survivors and 10 killers. Now player 2 plays 400 games in the same month but DC's 5% of its games. This means as a maximum 80 players get affected by this person's DC's 60 survivors and 20 killers. Eventhough player 2's DC rate is half of player 1 the amount of players affected is doubled. Yet according to the ban rules player 1 should be banned way before player 2 eventhough less people have their time ruined.

Comments

• DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

Of course they are flawed.
    There is a reason why any other game has instant punishments for DC that increase the more you DC. thats common sense actually, no idea why this doesnt apply to DBD

Regarding your "reasons" to DC:

• When you get farmed, simply let the killer hook you again and you are dead anyway. Problem solved, no need to DC
    • In a 1vs3 there was already a guy DCing during loading screen, such DCs need to be punished and it will occur less (tahts the whole reason why to punish Dcs)
  • Eight
    Eight Member Posts: 513

Yeah, but twice as many people had games where player 2 did not disconnect than had games with player 1.

Plus, if you play 400 games in a month, you're potentially going to have more net connection problems and random ######### happen that affect your game than the guy who plays 100.

• SanKa_Games
    SanKa_Games Member Posts: 201

@DeadByFlashlight said:

• In a 1vs3 there was already a guy DCing during loading screen, such DCs need to be punished and it will occur less (tahts the whole reason why to punish Dcs)

Most of the time it's crashes and just random disconnects. I don't think that other 4 players should be punished, if the game bugged and now you're playing 1vs3 while nobody asked you if you even want to play a 1vs3.

• AnotherRandy
    AnotherRandy Member Posts: 274
    This isn't the fault of the person, more the fault of the game code/netcode/host connection. This happens to me aswell, I just get kicked out during the loading g screen while the other 3 survivors load in. This needs to be fixed by the devs (dedicated servers, we are all looking at you for years oooff)
  • AnotherRandy
    AnotherRandy Member Posts: 274
    not_Queen said:

Hello @Shadoureon !

Let me clarify something for you.

We are not getting in detail on HOW we are setting our ban rules for the simple fact that we do not want players to abuse the system. Be sure that we thought about details like you are mentionning.

Players who are being punished right now deserved it.

I kinda understand that publishing the exact settings will lead to abusing. But at the same time, people need at least some orientation to know how close they are. Maybe implementing 24hrs softbans but a lower trigger would be a better option than a high% of DC to trigger one strike which could permanently ban you from this game. 
    Tbh, im not aware of a single game punishing so hard for leaving a match. DbD isn't even a competitive game, it's more a casual game at current state. Yet, high competitive pvp game punish not at all or just 10 minutes and stuff like that. 

Also something: most DCs comes from solo players. So devs, think about why especially solo players DC out of frustrating and work on that instead of banning. Just my opinion 
  • George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    Dudddd said:
    Another reason to DC being mori spammed , having the mori animation performed on you until you’re near to bleed out is fun right? people on here only think the toxicity resides on survivor side. 
    Mori spamming is indeed an ######### thing to do, but the correct reaction is the same ad to being tunneled, facecamped, etc: man up, bear with it and so buy your fellow survivors some extra time. 

And @Tsulan : yeah exactly. Threesome against the killer with five gens to do, that's called a challenge, and definitely not a reason to DC. 
    I'd only say if at least TWO people quit early in your game, then there should be no consequences for the last two if they DC as well. Though maybe even this could be abused with SWF.
  • fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

@not_Queen said:

######### YEAH!! That^^^^^^^^^^

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051

@fcc2014 said:

@not_Queen said:

[BAD WORD] YEAH!! That^^^^^^^^^^

People be walking in here thinking "well think about it!! it's not fair when a player gets banned for d/cing 1 game when that's all they played this season hhuehue" when in actuality they dc'd 60 games out of 120.

• DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

@SanKa_Games said:

@DeadByFlashlight said:

Most of the time it's crashes and just random disconnects. I don't think that other 4 players should be punished, if the game bugged and now you're playing 1vs3 while nobody asked you if you even want to play a 1vs3.

From my experience it is always a ragequit.
    The last time my game crashed was maybe ~6 months ago. The devs fixed a lot of the game crashes, thats not an issue anymore and if it really happens ocne, you shoudl deal with a small queue time punishment for the greater good.

• ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    edited October 2018

@fcc2014 said:

@not_Queen said:

[BAD WORD] YEAH!! That^^^^^^^^^^

People be walking in here thinking "well think about it!! it's not fair when a player gets banned for d/cing 1 game when that's all they played this season hhuehue" when in actuality they dc'd 60 games out of 120.

Lol at the steam forums, 20 hours a week and claiming they only played like 3 matches and lost connection on one or two.
  • Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,850
    edited October 2018

@Shadoureon said:
    I think the percentage based DC bans are flawed. I think it should be based on how many times you dc not on the percentage of the games you played. For me I have 3 reasons to DC. The DC that hurts my team the most is when I get found within 20 seconds, get hooked and then farmed to be downed again within 1,5 min of playtime. I then DC and call that a rage DC. I am sure many experienced this and in the end its a moment of weakness and you hurt your teammates.

My other 2 most DC's are 1: the game starts and it ends up beeing a 1v3 game. I refuse to play 1v3 games because I bought the game to play a 1v4 game. In a 1v4 game each survivor has to repair 125% of a generator. However in a 1v3 game this becomes 133.34% of a generator meaning the survivors have a disadvantage from the beginning. 2: the game starts and one of the teammates instantly DC's making it a 1v3 with 5 generators to go. Obviously I DC this since this makes it 166.67% of a generator per survivor.

None of these are acceptable reasons to DC. If you do this too many times then you should be banned. The only acceptable reason to DC is that your house loses connection to the internet. That is simply beyond your control. If you are in a match that you don't feel is fair then play to the best of your ability until you are caught and then sacrifice on hook. One reason the game has a hatch system is for situations like you describe. Getting 2 gens done isn't impossible even with 3 survivors.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522
    Food for thought, say you play a lot of DBD and you clock in several hundred games in a month. You're bound to have to leave a few games due to freak bugs (getting stuck inside a hook, for example), due to someone cheating or exploiting, etc. It happens.

Now if it was just a flat rate, a person who plays a lot and only disconnects when they need to would probably get punished. But comparatively, someone who plays less would be able to disconnect much more frivolously since they might only play two dozen games that month.

I see what you're saying, but you also have to keep in mind the matches people aren't leaving, not just the ones they are. If they disconnect from 1/100 matches, they're not really a troublemaker. You want to root out the ones that do it unecessarily, not the ones who play a lot.
  • powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

I've had the game crash a couple times in a week several games in a row, (fing Nvidia) but it's pretty rare and even when someone doesn't load in I'll still try and play. Yes it sucks when the killer just mows you all down and end s the match in 2 minutes.

But those people get less bp than if they just let a little farming go on since usually if that happens the survivors have gotten some bp . That and at least a safety pip.hopefully they'll gladly let the killer hook them and get a sac done thus giving the killer a lot more bp.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

@Lowbei said:
    stop lying to us. thanks.

How to communicate with your player-base. Lie a lot.
    Works for EA, doesn't it?

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

@se05239 said:

@Lowbei said:

Thankfully not everyone is EA and if you're still buying their products then you're proving they can lie and cheat you with impunity.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

@powerbats said:

@se05239 said:

@Lowbei said:

Thankfully not everyone is EA and if you're still buying their products then you're proving they can lie and cheat you with impunity.

I have thankfully not bought a game from them in forever. Heck, not even from Activision/Blizzard or Ubisoft.
    I simply refuse to fuel the maddened modern AAA gaming industry.