Can we talk about scratch marks?

Options

Ok I can’t be the only one who finds scratches incredibly buggy. Some examples are when a survivor turns a corner sometimes they don’t register, sometimes they show up in a room that the survivor never went in, they don’t show up on stairs time to time, the survivor you just downed still leaves their own scratch marks for some reason, you still can’t see them in dark grass, and coldwind and ormond is straining your eyes at that point trying to track them. As a person who already has a problem seeing this is a huge annoyance.

Comments

• Mr_Madness
    Mr_Madness Member Posts: 999
    Options

I would just slightly Brighten Scratch marks and Blood pools to solve the problem.

Not like Blood hound but just bright enough so you can see them on dark maps/cluttered maps like Cold wind or mac millians.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

Scratch marks on ormond and coldwind are barely visible

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,826
    Options

I hate how scratch marks on Ormond are damn near invisible.

And sometimes scratch marks seem really delayed, like I'll be trying to chase someone and I'll have to stop and wait for the next segment of scratch marks to appear.

• NekoTorvic
    NekoTorvic Member Posts: 766
    Options

When survivors turn corners scratch marks just dont like telling you where they went.

Your best bet, if you don't see them turn a corner, look one way for one second and move the other way, if you see scratch marks, follow them. if you don't just turn around and follow them.

Is it free distance for no reason? Yes, enough distance to make a pallet or window you otherwise wouldn't have.

It's gonna be bs in the new map where corridors are so tight, scratch marks just don't tell you which way a survivor went immediately.

• stikyard
    stikyard Member Posts: 526
    Options

I've always felt that scratch marks are too reliable. To the point that many Killer's won't even try to follow blood trails.

They should only be a clue, not a blazing trail straight to the survivor.

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497
    Options

Yes I have noticed all of this. You aren't crazy this is a real thing.

• Bonquiqui414
    Bonquiqui414 Member Posts: 222
    Options

It’s very hard to lose a survivor if they break los, scratch marks are needed especially with killers terrible filed of view

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,921
    Options

If you're having problems with them, the Wraith's "Predator" perk can help understand the pathing more. When you're used to it they'll be easier to follow.

The problem is that the scratch marks can't be too obvious, otherwise it'll be almost impossible to get the killer off your case. They need to be balanced to show where survivors have run to, yet also give some counterplay.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

It is a latency problem, and has existed since the implementation of dedicated servers.

It drives me nuts some matches. I turn a corner and momentarily stop because I think the survivor has attempted to juke me and double back, but then I see that they never stopped running, and I’ve just allowed them to gain distance for free. All because there was a delay in scratch marks showing up the way they should.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    Options

Most of the time they're fine, however laggy survivors and tall grass can both make it appear noone has run past an area.

Sometimes, they cover too large a radius too, which completely throws killers at times.

• Bonquiqui414
    Bonquiqui414 Member Posts: 222
    Options

That perk makes it worse since they don’t appear on walls

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,597
    Options

I experience what I call "magic disappearing scratch marks" all the time. The survivor never stops running, but their scratch marks for some inexplicable reason come to a dead stop, and you lose the survivor or see them when they've gotten miles if distance on you. This bug needs to be fixed. It basically gives survivors Lucky Break for free and it's been in the game for far too long. And no, I'm not making this up and the survivors aren't using stuff like Dance With Me.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,921
    Options

I never found it worse. If anything, having the scratch marks closer together made it much easier to follow, due to the intensity.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,538
    Options

Yeah I get that too, but I think in some instances it’s intended behavior, as scratchmarks shouldn’t be too easy to use as tracking tool.

but laggy scratchmarks and barely visible ones because of map textures etc can be a real problem