Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Is NOED outdated?

Shooby
Shooby Member Posts: 226

Aside from minor tweaks to the tiers effectiveness of the perk in Patch 2.3, the last time NOED was changed was in Patch 1.5, which changed the perk to a Hex totem, thus removing the timer and changing it to last indefinitely until the associated hex totem is cleansed.

Patch 1.5 released in late April of 2017.

NOED has stayed the same for over four years now. I find that crazy considering the horror stories of how survivor-sided the game was back then. A perk like NOED made sense then with jungle gyms with two pallets and the like, but with each new chapter and mid-chapter patch, the perk makes less and less sense considering the current state of the game, in my opinion.

What are your thoughts?

Is NOED outdated? 57 votes

NOED is outdated but should not be changed.
14%
FreddoPurgatorianYatolSpookyPumpkinPiezgammatsunamiThunderous_670AvignonSirGando 8 votes
NOED is outdated and should be changed in some way.
38%
TapeKnotJFFKeezoTaigaMrsGhostfaceFilthyLegionMainRavenTheWraithMadLordJackFrancesco044Pixel_BoomBot Antares2332xtr4meYordsBwstedGannTMDistortedDreamGuiltiiPSPTrickstaaaaaBigBall 22 votes
NOED is not outdated and should not be changed.
35%
White_OwlDemiurgGlamourousLeviathanbjorksnasWarcrafter4FFirebranddSteahMoundshroudMarc_go_sologetuy45u4iuZestySOMENINJANAME[Deleted User]KirkyladfogdonkeyButterBearSD31FengisKawaiiNathan13[Deleted User]HaunterofShadows 20 votes
NOED is not outdated but should be changed in some way.
12%
WeederickDawnMadAwkward_FiendElcopolloglitchboiArialDoritoHead 7 votes

Comments

• Awkward_Fiend
    Awkward_Fiend Member Posts: 687
    edited June 2021

The problem with the perk isn't that it's outdated, it's that it's poorly designed. It's designed as a massive boon to the killer in the endgame to serve as a punishment for survivors who don't do bones, however smart survivors can see this perk coming from a mile away, and will keep track of every totem spawn they've seen. Often times, against a strong team, you'll usually get 1 down, and against a few solo queues it just feels completely unfair for them since they have much less info to work with.

It's not even too strong of a perk, hell it's just mediocre. If you want to be super threatening for a bit, just use Devour or Starstruck.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

I think it is both outdated and poorly designed. It was literally designed as a "counter" to gen rushing back in the day.

• Shooby

I get where you're coming from. NOED's effectiveness is highly variable depending on the situation, but the 'good team' and '1 kill' arguments are wholly inaccurate and generalize the perk when it often does way more than that.

And NOED is not mediocre. No other perk gives indefinite Exposed for all survivors except Devour Hope which rewards the killer for getting hooks and not camping. Also, no other perk gives an indefinite movement speed increase. PWYF loses stacks on hits, DH is only after hooks, and Agitation is only when carrying a survivor. BHVR is careful with movement speed increases through perks because it is such a strong effect.

It is poorly designed though. NOED rewards the killer for failing their primary objective of defending generators, while survivors are punished for not cleansing 5 totems, a second objective, even a tertiary one.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267

Worst killer perk in the game. Rewards players who have no skill, or camp. Should be a perk that only activates once the endgame collapse begins. And this is coming from someone who plays both roles, so I'm not a one sided person.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 537
    edited June 2021

Just do bones

• RavenTheWraith
    RavenTheWraith Member Posts: 38

Back then, it made sense. Not anymore.

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146
    NOED is outdated but should not be changed.

Hate to be that guy but it is so easily negated. I agree that sometimes, but not often, a totem will spawn in a hard to find spot but mostly just destroy them when you see them unless it's near the final gen. Then just watch it to see if that one lights up.

There are perks that rely on bones, mostly I would say inner strength, and new perks will get added that rely on them too.

I don't consider it to be overpowered but I also don't use it as killer.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,472

Its fine, if a killer gives up a perk slot for the full game and risks never getting any value just to get 1 extra killer or a down or two is a heavy risk reward as hex totems always are

Personally I don't use it since i have better perks, and don't really care if I get hit by it because that usually means the rest of my team leaves or a teammate gets hit by it because that means I get to just leave

• DawnMad
    DawnMad Member Posts: 1,030

I don't think it's outdated, I think it was always a problematic perk but just like many other things it took a while for this to be seen.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,015

Underpowered perk that can net you a kill or two depending on how well the survivors play, but it's also very unfair. Not outdated IMO because it has multiple things built into it, being a hex perk and giving the haste status effect, but it's still a dumb perk and should be changed asap.

• Elcopollo
    Elcopollo Member Posts: 768

There is nothing outdated about NOED, but I really feel that it should reward killer for doing something pre-endgame (like hooking survivors, for example), rather than reward killer for doing nothing but waiting for 5 gens to get fixed. To put it simple - NOED in current state is pretty boring for both sides. To be fair, there is a big counter to it, which is called Small Game, so it's not OP in any way, shape or form. But it is boring. Killers should earn the NOED, rather than getting it for free by just being bad at gen control and map pressure.

And I'm saying it as a rank 1 killer, if that counts for anything.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445
    edited June 2021

NOED is fine. At the absolute most, it could use a tiny bit more telegraphing, but the general effect it has is fine.

Also... NOED should not be nerfed or changed in any way to be more based on how well the Killer did in the rest of the match. It currently stands as one of the very very few decent perks available to new Killers and is a good comeback mechanic for when they inevitably get matched against Survivors who heavily outclass them.

• Shooby

I agree. Killers deserve a second chance perk, especially one that's available to all killers in the base pool of perks.

But it's a two way street. Let's remind ourselves about the killers who outclass 4 baby survivors, and when the two survivors both on death hook barely manage to power the exit gates, they get hit with an oppressive NOED by a killer who played so well they didn't need a second chance.

I hate generalizations like these, because each game is variable. I'd rather NOED be more consistent and truly be a second chance perk like the new DS, one that only activates (and stays active) when it needs to.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445
    edited June 2021

Here's the thing though, I've had it happen the other way too. Survivors using Deliverance + DS in my face when all their teammates are perfectly OK and all the Gens are done. Or the more common instance of using BT, copious amounts of body blocking, and sometimes last man DS to get everybody out. Unless you're looking to also start disabling Survivor 2nd chance perks when they're doing well, NOED shouldn't get disabled when the Killer is doing well but the doors get powered anyway.

Does getting hit by NOED after the hatch gets closed suck? Sure. But so does picking up the guy you downed while all 4 Survivors were running out and getting stabbed by DS.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,695

No this is a perk that can only be used in the endgame. There are tools to deactivate NOED before it can trigger but survivors don't wanna do totems. I get tired of survivors complaining about NOED meanwhile they have plenty of second chance perks and this is the only second chance perk killers have.

Maybe bloodwarden but you won't get much value out of that because survivors can just 99 the gates.