So, should you cleanse dull totems or not?

Everyone always says "just do the totems" to counter NOED, but my team always insults me in the end chat for not doing gens, even though I don't actively look for totems, I just cleanse them if I encounter them on my way from one gen to another, would it be better to just memorize their positions instead of cleansing them? Most of the time the killer doesn't even run NOED so it might just be a waste of time, What do you guys do?

Comments

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

whether you wanna do totems or not is entirely up to you.

there are some arguments for doing it (e.g. preventing NOED or the free BP) and there are some arguments against it (e.g. time not spend on gens), but in the end you should just play the game the way you want to.

Dont let anyone talk you into playing in a way that you wouldnt enjoy.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

Very controversial topic so except many different answers. But I wouldn't bother cleansing dull totems unless:

• You have a perk/build around cleansing totems
    • The game is very clearly in your favour. AKA you have plenty of time with little pressure and no one is on death hook.
    • You really want BP.
    • Your in a 3-4 man SWF that can easily communicate how many totems are left and all contribute.

People may say to cleanse totems to avoid NOED but most of the time the killer isn't running NOED. If they are, chances are you or another survivor will find it when it activates.

If it's a close game, NOED should be the least of your concerns. Those gens need to be repaired ASAP - then start worrying about NOED.

• Yogerman1997
    Yogerman1997 Member Posts: 374

Personally, i think is better just remmember where they are, and go check them after all gens are done.

Less time wasted, and you never know if at the end only 4 are broken, with noed spawning in the one without finding.

This way the chances of noed spawning in found totems are bigger.

• Torsti56
    Torsti56 Member Posts: 259
    edited June 2021

It depends. I usually cleanse if I have Inner or just spare time to do so. I usually let couple dull totems just for endgame if killer uses NOED.

Edit. But looking for dull totems isn't wise. Just play normally and you can accidentally find them

• ChopChop1000
    ChopChop1000 Member Posts: 6

Only do totems when you have to and focus on gens if you are trying to win.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

I usually never cleanse totems in solo queue because there's no communication. It does more harm than good and is usually never worth going for them.

I usually just cleanse what I pass by, but I'll never actively look for totems unless I have a build or have communication between my teammates.

• CheesyGuy
    CheesyGuy Member Posts: 399

To be honest I cleanse them whenever I see them because yes while you can do gens at that time and it might be seen like a waste of time, NOED can really punish people at the EGC, I think it is better to be safe than sorry at least that is my idea. However not many high ranks uses NOED so I feel safer at red ranks however like I said it is better for BP, earning pip and be safe.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

There is absolutely zero, ZERO reason to cleanse totems anymore since the Undying rework. I really thought Undying was too strong and needed a nerf, but I dislike how they gutted the way it worked with Dulls.

Now, no ones cleansing dulls unless they're paranoid about NOED or using Inner Strength, so the aura reading is mostly useless. And the threat of the Hex jumping is gone completely.

If you're playing Solo I would just focus gens, you need as many people doing gens at all times as possible.

• pedrolito
    pedrolito Member Posts: 50

Don't forget Devor hope, guys. This perk is rarely used, so when a killer take it, it's almost every time to late. The other survivors down like dominos one after other.

Like the people said before me, all depend of the situation, your perks, Killer's perks etc...

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

Cleansing Dull Totems is a waste of time. As long as you are not running Small Game or are in a 4 man SWF, you dont know if all Totems are gone. And the more Totems you cleanse, the more likely is it that NOED is the most hidden Totem.

Let alone that one person less doing Gens is beneficial to the Killer, regardless if they have NOED or not. But in general, cleansing Totems for a Training Wheel-Perk the Killer might not even have is a waste of Time.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,765

At the start I'll do one if I see it on my way to a gen, otherwise I'll wait until Detective's let's me know where they are. Then I plan my route to a near-totem gen, keeping in mind preventing a three-gen as well.

As others have said it's better to cleanse them when you have the game relatively in hand. Gens have priority.

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843

All I see is that big juicy +1000 BP, nothing else matters

• velosinhooo
    velosinhooo Member Posts: 295

If you are making this question, do the totem, there can be Noed in the end of the match or the killer might have undying, as you made this question, you are probably low rank, aft low ranks there are lots of Noeds, with NOED, it takes one dull totem that is alive when the hatch is closed or the 5 gen is done, and makes it Hex, if there is no totem, there will be no way that NOED appears.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

Those 1000 BPs dont mean much, it is Boldness, one of (of not THE) easiest category to max out.

• velosinhooo
    velosinhooo Member Posts: 295

You shouldnt try to find totems, if you just find one you cleanse it, unless you have perks like Small-Game, Iri Map or Normal Map with the red rope, Detectives Hunch, and the in coming Counterforce. If there is a Devour Hope then you might try to find totems as with 5 tokens thekiller get a MOri+ the 3 tokens Insta down.

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,687

Just remember their locations and you can check for NOED after all the gens are done. Cleansing all the toems is not reliable unless you're in a 4 man SWF and can work together to keep track of all totems with comms. A totem hunting build can make it reliable but totem hunting builds are bad compared to a meta build.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

If it is to counter Noed you're probably better of leaving/remembering the obvious totems and only cleansing the difficult to find ones.

If it is for bp then who cares what other survivors think. This isn't 100% a teamgame

You pipping/escaping does not always require their survival too