The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

I don't know how you guys are getting bad MMR matches.

gendoss
gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

I feel like there's a bit of misinformation going around... My matches haven't been amazing (they actually were amazing last MMR test, admittedly it has been worse this time) but i'm hearing nothing but new killers getting matched with amazing survivors and vice versa but that hasn't been experience at all.

I'm actually getting teammates who are around my skill level for the most part and the average of my games has been around 2 kills/2 deaths which is exactly how it should be. Yeah there's a weird player thrown in here and there but it's BY FAR better than the normal matchmaking. I have almost 1400 hours and normally i'd be getting players who could have as low as 80 hours. However today i've been getting teammates that are typically above 1k hours which is awesome. I don't care what y'all say this is still miles better than the normal matchmaking and more complaining will just cause them to edit MMR and make it even worse.

Comments

• konchok
    konchok Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,719

From what I can tell, when it works, it works and when it doesn't, it really doesn't. It's kinda surprising that there is so much variance. But honestly I feel like whatever problems there are can be worked out and I'd like to see it go live personally.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Just got a rank 5 twitch team squad. Im rank 11 with Oni, got 1 but they were too well corodinated and locker diving to deal with 😅

• Guest1567432
    Guest1567432 Member Posts: 728

Killers that I haven't played I get sweaty survivors killers that I play often I get either new players or potatoes. Now is this the way it is supposed to work? We won't ever know because bhvr is so secretive that they won't tell us whats up.

• Noz
    Noz Member Posts: 176

My experience so far ( 10 matches ) was that i got beginners in my first four games and since then it gets harder and harder. Then i started losing matches. Since then I either get babies or really really good survivors.

Guess they just threw everyone in with the same mmr and since then it is calibrating. Still not working great tho.

• UseTheValve
    UseTheValve Member Posts: 350

Survivor match were great no real problems, Killer I don't main, it was team that I felt bad for, which is expected for the first few match i'll see how it improves during the remaining days, but it isn't as bad as people say.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,742

I'm somehow consistently the best player in the match (with I think one exception but I can't really call a basement Trapper with Tinkerer/NOED/Corrupt/Pop and double iris good so maybe not). I'm steamrolling my opponents and either get 3/4ks without trying or die because my teammates lack a functional brain (there was one game where my teammates were really intelligent but they were also yellow ranks which was incredibly concerning).

Last test was better. This test the game thinks rank 13s should face the killer I literally grind 3/4k win streaks on as a personal challenge

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939

My partner was playing survivor and first few games he was matched with green/purple rank survivors (he's Rank 7) against yellow rank Killers.

Then all of a sudden he was matched with a super sweaty Rank 1 tunneling Spirit- he couldn't understand why he was the only one running around unhooking, etc etc.

Post-match all his team mates were around Rank 15.

We just turned it off for the evening lol. Why bother.

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,396

It’s almost as if everyone has their own personal experiences.

• Mekochi
    Mekochi Member Posts: 942
    edited June 2021

Played three matches with new MMR so far (on my fourth as of writing)

1st MMR Match: Survivors, Red ranks (myself included), Killer: Rank 20

2nd MMR Match: My three teammates Rank 15-14, Killer: Rank 20, Me: Rank 4

3rd MMR Match: Survivors, 3 red ranks and one purple, Killer, Rank 13

First two games I couldn't pip cuz I only was getting bold points from being chased, last game I only could do gens/totems and still couldn't pip because the killer gave up halfway through, and only chased one person only to be unable to land a hit

Edit: was playing solo

• Verconissp
    Verconissp Member Posts: 1,587

i played for 7 hours today...

All my matches were Rainbow ranks but like... 3-4...

And that's across like 14-16 killers today,

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

Why not just say "Here's what my MMR experience has been like"? What's the point in discounting people who have different experiences that you obviously know nothing about because .. you're not experiencing it?

• gendoss
    edited June 2021
  • Animal_Mother
    Animal_Mother Member Posts: 149

I've only played a few games today, but they've all been super tough sweat fests. I had a headache after about the third game. Definitely seems much harder right now.

• EngineerDispenser
    EngineerDispenser Member Posts: 52

Yeah. That's the Rank 1 Experience during the evenings and that whiplash really gives you a headache.

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497

I just keep getting gen squads. No one who is actually good, it's either W or M1 all game, even to the point of letting people die just to finish gens. I gotta admit it's extremely boring. I either slug everyone as fast as possible or all the gens get done in 3min no in-between.

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,395

First few matches of survivors were against yellows and it normalized after a while, teammates were good as far as randoms go.

Only played 1 killer match as bubba, there were 2 yellows and 2 guys who knew how to loop, got 2 kill because they made a mistake at endgame, it would have been better if I hadn't insisted on using the chainsaw when I could just m1.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

So what I'm hearing is because your personal experience was positive, that means that every person who has had a negative experience is spreading misinformation and complaining about nothing.

I don't care that it works for you, that doesn't change the fact that many people aren't having the same results. Don't discredit other people's criticism because you haven't had to deal with the bad side of mmr.

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093

My own experiences tonight -- taken as simply what they were, my experiences. Yours may obviously vary.

Almost 6 hours of killer gameplay, starting in late afternoon and stretching into later evening. I came in Rank 1, FWIW. I play more Pig than anything, and I would say that she's the killer I not only play the best, but that I am the most successful with.

I played the following:

3 Pig rounds. Again, my "best" killer.

3 Huntress rounds. Huntress I hardly ever play, and I have been learning her only recently. Over the time MMR has been collecting data, I've had 1 4K with her, and a ton of bad matches/4 person escapes/depips/

1 Wraith round. I've played a lot of Wraith since the rework, and I've done incredibly well with him.

1 Myers round. I'm a decent Shape player, but not ridiculously good.

1 Hag round. I rarely play Hag, though when I have, I've usually done well.

3 Trapper rounds. I'm an average Trapper. Decent enough when I play powerful add-ons, but nothing spectacular.

2 Nurse rounds. Much like Huntress, I'm practicing with her. Aside for 2 4K's the last two times MMR was a thing, every match against anyone decent has almost always been a depip/4-person escape.

1 Demogorgon round. I almost have never played Demo, but I'd like to give him a try. Almost no data in my time in the game that MMR could use to come up with a match, I've played him so little.

I play almost everyone, but I didn't get a chance to play Freddy (who I'm solid with), Doctor (who I'm okay with), Pyramid Head (who I struggle some with), or Ghostface (who I also do pretty good with normally).

If I had guessed how a properly functioning MMR would have matched me tonight, I would have guessed my toughest lobbies would have been Pig, then Wraith. Myers and Trapper would have had solid, decent, but not spectacular opponents. Hag would have been a wild card, and my Huntress and Nurse rounds should have given me relatively potato survivors. Demo should have, in theory too, since I'm essentially a brand new player with them.

How it went? It wasn't even consistent on the same killers, lol. Understanding that the "rank doesn't matter", I'll still mention it here for reference.

Two of my three Pig rounds were against Rainbow lobbies that played like it. I 3K'ed both matches, giving a mercy door in one and the last survivor found hatch in the other. In neither did I ever felt pressured, and I saw survivors do things that I would have expected yellow/brown ranks to be doing. The third match, however, I went up against a 4-man sabo/flashlight/Breakout squad that was one of the sweatiest matches I've had in a while. I got a 2K -- the two who lived got out hatch with a key, because, of course. The fact that I could have such divergent match experiences with the same killer literally a match apart made me skeptical already.

But everything else? My Wraith game was a slaughter, again with a Rainbow lobby that arguably played worse than their ranks. My Trapper lobbies were all solid ones, with arguably better competition that I had with Pig or Wraith (even though my skills with Trapper aren't as good, IMO, and neither have been the results over time). The Hag round I played terribly and still 4K'ed -- the rankings of the survivors didn't match up with their skill level. One of my Nurse rounds was on Hawkins, where I was completely lost -- the other was on the farm, where I 4K'ed against a lobby that actually looked like the ones I had in prior Nurse MMR games -- newer survivors who I could make mistakes against regularly and still do okay. My Myers round was against two Red Ranks/two Purple Ranks who played to my level, and that was probably the most "fair" matchup I had all night, for both sides.

The "shake my head" matches came when I played Huntress and Demo -- two killers I should, if MMR functions properly, have survivors who aren't going to be top-tier, based on my past results and play (or lack thereof) with them. All of those matches I had were against all-Red Rank (or close to it) players -- usually with multiple Rank 1's in the lobby -- who legitimately played like they deserved those ranks. My last Huntress match, I watched a Rank 1 Quentin play beautifully (like all of his teammates did as well) -- knowing where Hatchets could go and where they couldn't, conserving pallets the entire match, running loops effectively, and essentially playing exactly like I'd expect a Rank 1 to play. His teammates were all as capable. I was completely outclassed and knew it. The Demo match was even more inexplicable, as I ran across a team that destroyed my Ruin totem in seconds to start, blew through 4 gens in a little over 5 minutes (even as I'd gotten a couple of hooks), and ended up with a 3-person escape with relative ease. These were all really good players, which based on my complete inexperience with Demo, and lack of results with Huntress, I shouldn't have been seeing at all.

Overall, I felt like maybe three matches out of the fifteen I played actually had "correct" matchmaking (the sweaty Pig game, the Myers match, and the Nurse match I 4K'ed). Everything else was a confusing mess. I had better opponents playing the killers I'm literally learning and have done the worst with over the last few months than the killers I got to Rank 1 with and have beaten good solid teams with. Tonight didn't fill me with any confidence that this is going to work, but I'm going to play tomorrow and Friday morning (and see how my survivor experiences go) before I pass my own judgement.

Again, your experience may vary. This was mine.

• ThePartyProbe
    ThePartyProbe Member Posts: 8

I just started playing 2 days ago, my killer rank is 18 and my Wraith is level 12 and the first 3 games I’ve played today have been against red rank survivors; they were all one sided, I had no chance at all, honestly. I’m not playing again until the test is over.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,014

It's sort of an on & off thing. Works some of the time, doesn't work some of the time either.

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203

I agree, last test was absolutely great to me. This one isn't the same, I'm often paired with new players. Sometimes I got people from my skill level but I can count these ones on one hand.

• Red_Beard
    Red_Beard Member Posts: 550

Why do you say statistically speaking? What data are you using you are getting stats from? This is a feature that is still in development so it is reasonable to think that it isn't working as intended, which seems to be the case reading how mixed people's experiences are.

• Yankus
    Yankus Member Posts: 638

I had one game with 3 rank 20 survs(Two didn't have any perks) and a rank 19, the very next game I played against 3 rank 1s and a rank 2...

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

I think the issue could be that you need to play the same killer multiple times for it to get good. If you switch killer it starts over with that killer.

Also when playing survivor, you need to face the same killer multiple times for it to work good. It is learning how well you play against the specific killer.

• gendoss

It can successfully predict the outcome of most games, that's the point of it. So statistically it is successful at matching people up because it can predict the outcome.

• Red_Beard

How do you know it is successfully predicting the outcome of most games? Do you work for BHVR and the data you are collecting is showing that to be the case?

• gendoss

No but they were confident enough to make it live for a while so it had to have been working.

• Red_Beard

They sent it to live to test it. This is the third time they have done so. With your logic, when they tested it the first time, they should have been confident it was working then. But it wasn't working as intended, so they shut it off. Theoretically, people should be getting matches against players of equal skill. But what is theoretical and what is actual are 2 separate things that can be completely different.

• gendoss
    edited June 2021

No they originally had it live and then they took it back for some tweaking because people were complaining and have tested it twice since then.

• Red_Beard

I can agree with this. That still doesn’t mean it is statistically working as intended, otherwise it wouldn’t have needed tweaking.

• DangerScouse
    DangerScouse Member Posts: 989

I've played 25 matches as killer (rank 13) and have had all or at least 2 red ranks in all but 1 game (which was 1 red and 2 purples).

One of these was on a killer I'd never used before!

Hence why I am now having fun camping and tunnelling. These red ranks rwally hate getting that from a rank 13 (soon to be 20 probably)😀

• DangerScouse
    DangerScouse Member Posts: 989

So why, when it is "learning" doesn't it at least put you woth players around your own rank until it can determine if this is your level or not? What I'm seeing is constant rank mismatches, which are also actual mismatches too.

• WexlerWendigo
    WexlerWendigo Member Posts: 1,867

Hasn’t worked for me once out of 10 games, constant brown rank teammates and baby killers

• Luciferr_2nd
    Luciferr_2nd Member Posts: 911

It's quite interesting hearing about other people's experiences, I'm personally getting pretty good matches apart from a few anomalies.