The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

I don't get the hate for breakable walls...

Sandt21
Sandt21 Member Posts: 761

Breakable walls were added to bring an end to "god loops", powerful loops that never should have been added to the game to begin with. Break the breakable wall, and the god loop is gone, simple as that. In that regard, they are working as intended.

The only reason I can think of killers hating breakable walls for is because they wanted the god loop gone without having to do any work for it.

The only reason I can think of survivors hating breakable walls for is that it removes an an overly powerful defense of theirs.

Breakable walls serve a purpose, and they are doing it well. So I must ask, why all the hate on breakable walls?

Comments

• Northener1907
    Northener1907 Member Posts: 3,012

Boring.

And if you were not spawn near to them, they are waste of time. Survivors can force you break it in chase and when you break it, you will lose time + distance.

And most them are not destroy God-Loops. For example, i never breaking wall in The Game map because all of them dead ends for survivors. But on Saloon i am breaking 2 (Shack & Main Build)

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    edited June 2021

I don't get it either to be honest. To me it seems to be a fair compromise between giving weaker survivors a strong place they can use, but preventing the loops to be in play the entire game where they can be abused by the good survivors

Game isn't always about experienced players - you have to give the weaker survivors a place they can catch a temporary breather.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,120

The walls are fun, but the execution was poorly implemented across the maps.

They first came about during the Dead Dawg Saloon, and those are the standard as they ought to have been. The breakable walls were placed in various areas to cut loops down, yet also be tactical as to which walls to smash and which to leave. The shack had breakable walls which made sense and stopped long loops, but also was fair on the survivor to still use the shack, but not continuously loop around it. On Dead Dawg Saloon, it works well.

However, on most other maps ot was very poorly implemented. Badham is a prime example with the school. They didn't create any new areas for breakables walls; instead just slapping them on existing doorways, which ironically was better to keep as is for the killer. This also happened on various other maps such as MacMillan.

The Game was remade and the walls in that work fine. There are some clever areas to use as an encatchment. Midwich some so-so placement.

So, for me it's not that they're unfun or useless. It's because it feels like there was so much potential, but it was poorly done on existing maps, a little like a rush job with no meaningful placement. With exception to Dead Dawg Saloon and The Game, I rarely smash them up as it doesn't give me much in return on other maps.

• lemonsway
    lemonsway Member Posts: 1,169

That's the problem itself, you're giving bad survivors a tool that can be exploited by good survivors wich forces killers to have to deal with the wall first instead of teaching bad survivors how to loop, instead of fixing the map so it isn't exploitable.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,048

They're either pointless, or a chore the killer has to perform because they enable a broken loop that shouldn't have been implemented. In most cases they've been used, they're not an interactive mechanic.

It's way more than two seconds. Either you go out of your way to break the wall early, which can be a significant detour, or you risk your first time encountering that wall being in a chase, and the survivor makes significant distance on you while you're stuck breaking it - which ends up being more than two seconds lost unless the survivor really mucks it up.

There are some maps with breakable walls that feel like an actual choice - mainly Badham and Saloon (though Saloon has 3 god loop walls that are mandatory breaks, too, and plenty more you shouldn't be touching.) But for the most part, they're either things you'd rarely/never want to break, or things that shouldn't be there in the first place and you have to go out of your way to break them to be able to play the map.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

Because breakable walls work one of two ways, they either create a dead end that survivors get stuck in and inevitably get punished for, or they create an incredibly strong loop that the killer is then forced to break the wall and it isn't a choice then you just have to do it, they're awful, balance the buildings better and get rid of the breakables.

• lav3
    lav3 Member Posts: 758

I think its inconsistency is problematic.

Some breakable walls are mostly better broken but some are like no reason to break at all.

Also some breakable walls are like "Why are they here?" "Why there's no breakable wall here?"

(2 breakable walls in Dead Dawg Saloon's prison room, no breakable wall next to Ironworks of Misery's 1st floor window)

I can't erase to think it is very poorly designed mechanic and was made too suddenly to be honest.

• yeet
    yeet Member Posts: 1,832

they're just chores for the killer to have to waste time on when he can't afford to waste time on them

• FrenziedRoach

Less than 3 seconds. 2.6 to be exact. My mistake for making estimations without looking it up and using the word "Literally". I'll own that.

But still, a minor inconvenience we have to deal with so that most of the survivor base (which, lets be honest, is BAD) can have a breather. Because let's face it, the game NEEDS strong loops for the weaker survivors. But we can't let these loops be permanent. This is the best compromise we have.

People need to stop listening to certain streamers that prattle on about "high level play" and look at the big picture.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,950

I dlsike the factor how some are basically mandatory to break and some you literally never break cause it would put you as a disadvantage

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Think of it, what if there are some resource to collect around. You can carry "1 wood item" at a time. Place on breakable wall location, build up for 3sec. If the place has enough "3 wood items" will become a breakable wall.

That would make breakable walls have some interact between both side, survivors have to use it smart to make a good use of "god pallet"

• Laluzi

I'm not talking about the time it takes to perform the animation. I'm talking about the time you take to go to that location near the start of the match instead of starting the gen hunt, or the distance a survivor makes towards the next tile and how much longer they can loop you for if you didn't neutralize the threat early. 2.6 seconds in a chase is only 2.6 seconds if the survivor stands perfectly still. The only case where a breakable wall actually only takes 2.6 seconds is when you take the risk, don't find anyone that runs to the strong loop area, and patrol the breakable wall spot for the first time when there are no survivors nearby. Then yes, it's just a few seconds to approach the wall and break it.

It's bad design. Breakable walls rarely fall into a happy medium of being something the killer might want up in some situations and might want down in others. 95% of the time, they're something that has to be removed immediately or should never be touched.

I've never watched any video on the subject. My opinion on them being a PITA is wholly from my own gameplay.

• Midnght
    Midnght Member Posts: 65
    edited June 2021

Well i hadn't played in a while so i didn't know they slapped up these breakable doors and walls that caused me some losses but now i know they are there they don't bug me in fact i like breaking them lol i actually wish i could break palates before they are dropped that'd be a fun mechanic :D

Plus two or three loops they're not worth my time or chase blood points i leave em hanging lol

• nick_larking
    nick_larking Member Posts: 31

Its to punish new killers who dont know that some breakable walls should not be broken.

That will teach them! break the wrong one while creating an infinite for survivors. 10/10

• FrenziedRoach

If taking a moment to break a god loop destroys the game for you, then you aren't as good as a killer as you think you are.

We are not so strapped for time against most of the playerbase that this is going to be a make or break mechanic for most of the games we play. You are blowing this out of proportion.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

Id like a survivor perk that can break them

• Laluzi
    edited June 2021

When did I ever say that? You're projecting. Losing an extra tile in a chase or giving the survivors 20s of free gens at the start doesn't break the game. Killers still play just fine. That doesn't make it not irritating and something I wish I didn't have to put up with, and not something that enriches the game in any way.

Most things that people want changed aren't make or break. Moris were and keys are, but even then, the game still plugs along with them.

• Sabraiz
    Sabraiz Member Posts: 566

Breaking the breakable wall on Groaning Storehouse does nothing to affect the "god loop" that is that awful window. Killers even lose distance by not vaulting the window.

• NoTerrorRadius
    NoTerrorRadius Member Posts: 201

🤔 what if killers could quietly open doors the way survivors quietly vault and enter lockers.

Make the breakable walls doors you can interact with, for the killers. So if the survivor is not vigilant, you quietly enter the area where they are repairing generators and strike.🔪

• TruffleTurtle
    TruffleTurtle Member Posts: 614

The only map I feel did breakable walls nice is midwich. With the secret pathway going upstairs is a nice addition I wish I saw more of. And the other breakable walls are not out of the way where you feel like you are wasting so much time and going out if your way to break the walls

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

As killer I dislike them because they waste time. As survivor I dislike them because they cut off routes and make loops useless. Like I get adding an opening to weaken op loops, but usually once broken it goes from op to completely useless.

• Bullettimegod
    Bullettimegod Member Posts: 994

Tbh, i hate the time it takes. But then again i also hate that survs can keep running and predropping pallets and if you dont give up chase survs can literally win this way.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,018

Time based game, you shouldn’t be forced to break the walls just to prevent an infinite and some breakable walls even make some loops better when broken

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

They're a terrible boring mechanic that literally brought back God loops. They're just an uninteractive annoyance that nobody asked for.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

I try to see them as little extra bp treats, when the survivor take the full egc to ruin their knees in the exit and I already broke all dropped pallets.

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,409

On most maps, they're a compromise between main buildings being broken op loops like they used to be, and dead zones like they became when said loops were removed. I'm fine with them. There are some placement issues here and there however.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

They're hated because currently there are two types of breakable walls: the ones the killer is forced to break in order to avoid an OP loop (e.g. Coal Tower's main building), and the ones that are better ignored because they make the area way less safe to survivors (e.g. Bedham main building). They are also not very interactive for survivors.

Imo they would be more interesting if survivors could build them. It would give them a secondary objective and would make them more tactical.

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843

They're basically pre-dropped unvaultable pallets. And survivors have absolutely 0 interaction with them, killer either always breaks them or never breaks them. I feel like if only killer can interact with it then killer should always have some reason to, and since survivors can't interact with them they shouldn't punish survivors for being left unbroken when they can't do anything about it

I think all breakable walls should generally benefit killer when broken and benefit survivors while standing, and survivors should be able to rebuild them. Each time an individual wall gets broken it takes a bit longer to build back. And its a base mechanic not a perk, but maybe a perk could be related to it

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

You see, you can tell who is a good killer by the time they spend on each chase, so basically they are playing against time each match, a breakable wall/door however you want to call them, just wastes time for the side that is already playing against time.

How would you feel as a survivor if you had to bring 3 parts from point a to point z just to do a gen then having to waste more time because you have to build the breakable walls then you would have to waste more time to create the pallets? You wouldn't like to waste time doing that right?

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,695

I only hate breakable walls in The Game as survivor because they're placed in dead ends and I've lost chases because of them.