How do I ditch a killer who has already spotted me?

I am new to the game, and it seems like when I play a survivor, its absolutely impossible to ditch the killer once they find me. I would think there would be a way to get out of their vision, or to duck and hide in the bushes or around a corner. Am I missing something, or are you pretty much caught as soon as the killer targets you? I have seen people run around, but never actually ditch the killer once they are on their tail.

Comments

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

sometimes if you run the killer long enough they'll jump off you because your wasting their time. I personally I have a build set up on losing killers. you'll want to use your environment to your advantage try to confuse the killer. scratch marks are also very important if a killer loses those or the scratch marks lose you the killer will likely be lost and have to search for another survivor. Losing the killer is a very delicate art which is why there are perks to help with it.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,059
    edited June 2021

Ditching the killer is pretty dependent on the killer themselves - some are going to be more committed than others, and some are going to be easier to pull visual tricks on than others. The important thing to know is that you leave bright red scratchmarks while running and the killer can see these or hear your sounds, especially when you're injured. So as long as you run, the killer can see where you've been... unless you make your scratch marks themselves confusing, like running in a complete loop around a walled structure, then doubling back the way you came or walking around a corner and slipping away. As long as the killer doesn't physically see you leave, they'll likely keep chasing the scratch marks in a circle for a while.

That takes some practice, though. You can run perks like Deception, Quick and Quiet, Lucky Break, or Dance With Me as things to trick the killer mid-chase by hiding your scratch marks or giving the wrong cue. Some maps have thicker, darker foliage than others, and you can quickly disappear into it if you've broken LOS and your scratch marks won't give you away (so you didn't run straight up to the bush and stop.) Yamaoka maps, Swamp, and Dead Dawg have the most impenetrable bushes. The other thing you can do is make it not worth it to chase you. To do this, you need to show that you can loop the killer for a bit; keep looking behind you so that you can predict what they're about to do and cut off their mindgames. The big way to lose a killer is to move to a very strong tile - shack is the best one - and if they can't catch you immediately, they may decide this chase isn't worth their time and leave. However, very new killers won't understand that they can't chase a player forever and need to check on gens, and this may not work - though they're also the killers you can loop the longest.

Keep in mind that if you've lost a killer by getting into a locker/a bush/etc, you may to need to move around and switch hiding spots. If they give up and leave, you're cool, but if a killer starts checking every hiding spot in the area, they're going to find you eventually - you have to switch for a spot they've already checked (be very careful with lockers, exiting and entering produces a distinctive sound cue that nearby killers will hear) or try and slip away from the area while they're searching the wrong spot.

Also be warned that experienced killers are going to know the most likely hiding spots and check them on principle. Sometimes crouching behind a big rock and just moving to avoid the killer's line of sight is smarter than hiding in that tiny corner behind the door.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
    edited June 2021

The perks deception (Elodie), lucky break (Yui) and quick and quiet (Meg) can sometimes lose the killer if they're not expecting it, but it's not foolproof. Keep in mind that you're playing against a human opponent, not a computer. They know what you're likely going to do, ducking behind something after they've seen you is never going to work. You have to be tricky if you want to lose a killer like that.

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259

First of all, welcome!

2nd, you’re going to get a lot of suggestions about useful perks in this thread, and they’re all going to be valid. But the downside is that you won’t have access to most of these perks since you won’t have much progression on the different survivors.

For this reason, I want to suggest something that may seem strange at first: play a few matches as the killer! I know, that may sound intimidating knowing that those are other human players you’re hunting, but you get over it pretty quick. Expect to lose, no biggie.

The point is to see what the killer sees. Learn how scratch marks work. Learn the speed differences between survivor and killer while running, while vaulting, while dropping from heights, etc. Watch what the survivors do to try losing you. What works? What doesn’t? Do they camp at pallets to stun you when you approach? Do they run through without pulling to make you chase them around a few times? Do they go behind a wall and then change direction when you try cutting them off?

Learn what works against you when you kill. Then use that info to your advantage next time you survive! As an added bonus, you’ll learn the limits of the killers you use so that you can better survive when you face them! Playing both roles is by far the best strategy!

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

Definitely unlock Iron Will from Jake. This is an extremely powerful perk that everyone has access to and it can actually help you lose killers in chase without even trying since you make virtually no sound while injured. Breaking line of sight with them can really make them lose you.

Otherwise cheeky tricks like ducking in a corner after breaking line of sight or getting behind a tree can work but they're risky.

And then you have the perks that help additionally like scratch mark erasers (I find these pretty unreliable and predictable as a killer) or Quick and quiet which I think is better than those. Quick and quiet counters I'm all Ears and can let you lose a killer if you break line of sight then fast vault before they see you do so.

Lastly, a flashlight can potentially help you lose a killer but you need to be strategic in how you use it. Getting pallet stuns and blinding the killer can buy you a lot of time to get away or even blinding a killer as they approach you if you have no other options can work and make them miss. Just be careful with flashlights as some killers think of it as a challenge to take down flashlight users but others may leave you alone if you use a flashlight it just all depends lol

GGood luck in getting better! It's a long haul to improve at looping and trying to pull tricks on killers but it's so satisfying and fun once you start getting even just a little bit better. I recommend watching really good survivor players! That's where I get all my tricks from

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Strong tiles and line if sight breakers are key. It is also useful to understand how scratch marks work and where they can be muddled to mask a breakaway. There are also multiple perks to aid in this but efficiency can vary with each killer.

Currently the most common go-to option is trying to run loops until the killer gives up or your downed, can work but also the fastest method to feed the killer a snowball.

• CoalTower
    CoalTower Member Posts: 1,730

Although this isn't what you asked for, I'd recommend watching looping tutorials. Although it's possible to lose the killer, not every killer will lose you. It's much safer to learn how to loop, so that you can survive a while before dying.

• Zeus
    Zeus Member Posts: 2,112

It's not always about losing the killer. You can waste killer's time long enough by using pallets and windows and give enough time for other survivors to finish generators or recover from a bad spot. A good killer will usually leave you if you go towards a really strong loop that can potentially waste a lot of his time.

• Sadsnacks
    Sadsnacks Member Posts: 677

Practice doing the opposite of trying to end chases. Bring a flashlight. Chase after them with it and click it nonstop. Whenever you drop a pallet in chase blind them. Whenever you vault something and see them on the other side try to blind them. If they're in chase with someone else pursue them with the flashlight. Take protection hits for other survivors. Continue clicking the flashlight.

After burning through 5 or so flashlights go back to playing without one. Notice the difference.

This is the way.

• Mdawgu
    Mdawgu Member Posts: 408

if the killer wants you he will eventually get you. It’s all about running him around as long as possible to buy your team time on the objective.

You can lose them but it’s very difficult. Relying either on a combination of perks or some sneaky moves when line of sight is broken.

• Avignon
    Avignon Member Posts: 133

Weeeeeeell , while there's some good advice in this thread and it will certainly work, my advice is... DONT. Loosing the killer in a chase can sorta be detrimental if he wanders off and chases your teammates off of doing gens. At low levels you'll get tunelled or face camped, once you start climbing ranks it's rare for a killer to actually chase you for any significant amount of time (depends on how much pressure the rest of the team is applying but that's another discussion).

So yeah, i'd learn to get good at looping and wasting the killers time and they'll eventually leave you alone. Also get accustomed to the ancient mystic art known as "Hold W". It's stupid but against most of the roster BOLTING in the opposite direction in a very obvious manner once the killer gets close to the generator you're doing is a fairly effective tactic. Bonus points if some gens have been done already and you lead the killer to a zone of the map devoid of objectives.

Now disregarding what i've said previous if you actually wana loose the killer ASAP one relatively simple technique is looping a tile once or twice. drop the pallet, run in a way that looks like you're going for another loop around but instead just leave the loop. Anything up to a mediocre killer will get confused and loose you allmost imediatly, even decent killers might take abit to figure out what you did , and while they can relocate you, you'll usually be far away enough that the chase isn't productive for them anymore.

Utilize your scratch marks but for the love of god don't just RUN then sudently round a corner and duck in a little nook or something. Again might work 50 - 50 against bad killers but you're just asking for it puliing stuff like that and god help vs one shot killers that can body block you in your little nook.

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920

I think since so many survivors are bad at the game, killers won't drop chase because they won't be able to find anyone else. The good news is that you can use this to your advantage. Being good at DBD is being good at being chased, so you can give your dogpoop teammates all the time in the world to do gens. I'd watch some survivor mains on Youtube or Twitch to see how they loop. I learned tons from them and with 1,500 hours in the game, I still learn from them.

I get found first most of the time, and I'm glad for it. I'm often able to keep the killer busy for 2-3 gens.

• Kalinikta
    Kalinikta Member Posts: 709

There are some perks that can help you out as people stated, other than that mind games. Yet the game isn't designed about you losing their attention till they have other aspects to consider such as your teammates and the gens.

While I myself am not great at it or anything, it is important to try and loop, run, the killer for as long as possible. How to use windows and pallets to extend the chase, but eventually you will go down... you have 3 hooks and teammates.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    edited June 2021

Just in case you weren’t aware, whenever you are running you leave a temporary trail of bright red scratch marks on the ground. Only the killer can see this, and they can use it to keep track of where you are going.

You need to use as many line of sight blockers as possible, and mix it up by stopping running, and resuming walking whenever the killer doesn’t have sight of you.

The killer also has a very tight, limited field of view. So you can also attempt things like turning a corner, dead stop, hug that corner tightly (either standing or crouching), then double back the moment the killer passes you. We call this a juke. (There are many types of juke. This is one of them).

Of course attempting either of these is much more difficult when you’re injured because of the noise you make, and the blood trail you leave even when not running.

Best of luck. Hope this helps.

• Habaneropeppah
    Habaneropeppah Member Posts: 8

Wow, so many terrific responses. I really appreciate it. Here are some things I have already done:

1. Changed my expectation from entirely ditching the killer to distracting the killer to buy time.
    2. Considering the perks that I have access to, which will help me be more aware of where the killer is, or to help me be more elusive.
    3. Become more active in getting gens or helping teammates when they take a fall or hook from the killer.
    4. Watch YouTube videos of how good survivors work, and what the game looks like from the killers perspective.

Some things I havent done yet:

1. Play as the killer. Its till pretty intimidating to consider playing this role honestly. I could probably get a couple survivors, but I really don't think I could try to prevent them from doing all the gens and escaping.
    2. Voice chat while playing. I feel like I am so panick'd and focus on doing skill checks or avoiding the killer, that its super hard for me to have useful communication while I am playing.
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Stand still. Their eyesight is based on movement.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Break line of sight, see if you can hide, try and pretend to go one way and then go the opposite, be creative :)

• HaunterofShadows

another thing I would do is if you do a gen and the killer is near you don't run because that will make it easier for him to find you. if he's near you when you finish a gen try to get behind something.

• HaunterofShadows

the final option for losing the killer is the last resort of lead him to your teamates.

• AlexisFox
    AlexisFox Member Posts: 127

In general you want to learn how to create distance. This is accomplished in a variety of ways and the more creative you are with it the more effective it tends to be since it catches the killer off guard. The more specific tactics are used the more killers tend to watch for those tactics. Don't be afraid to try something stupid from time to time, you never know when it's going to work. I suggest playing both sides so that when you are playing killer you can see what survivors do that loses you and then you can try to learn that trick as survivor and you can also learn how a killer can counter different tricks so you can develop ways to predict if a killer knows the counter or not or be able to refine the technique to make it harder to counter. Definitely take some time to watch streamers playing the game as well. They play the game for a living so learn a lot of tricks along the way. Just remember that they are people too and not everything a streamer says is right. They make mistakes just like everyone else. Listen to what they say and assess it, don't just accept it blindly.

• TheClownIsKing

This reminds me of the one time as David, dressed in dark colours, was in Ormand against Deathslinger. I was out in the open, one of those dead zones with next to nothing. I hear the TR, and all I do is crouch. I finally spot Deathslinger, and he’s kind of heading in my direction, but hilariously doesn’t see me.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,059

Trust me - I was terrified of playing killer at first too. Everything I'd seen on youtube told me it was the harder role and I felt like it'd be immensely stressful. I didn't want to touch it because it felt like there'd be too much pressure on me.

There's two nice things about playing killer for the first time.

1.) You'll be in grey ranks. Grey rank survivors are just as confused as you are and you'll have plenty of time to feel out the basics, and they haven't learned to be toxic yet, so they won't be doing stressful things like tbagging you, relentlessly trying to get your attention, or looping you in ways where you just cannot catch them. They'll be scared and hiding instead of doing gens much, so the game isn't on a tight time crunch; you'll be missing your swings as you figure out the distance you should be hitting survivors at, but those survivors are going to be running around blindly without any idea of where they should go, so your mistakes won't matter much in the grand scheme of things.

2.) It is a massive boost to how you play as a survivor, once you familiarize yourself with what the killer sees, how they think, etc. I can't stress enough how much it improves your game to play the other side. The same is true for people who only play killer; playing survivor makes it easier to guess where survivors will be and what ways they'll run (so you learn to cut them off.)

Don't focus on getting a 4k the first time you play killer. If it happens, it happens, but your main goal is just to map out how to play. Unless matchmaking flubs up and gives you a high rank squad with a smurf account meant to fish out new killers, you'll do better than you think you will.

(Anyway, with the perks you have available at the start of the game - definitely invest in Jake's Iron Will. It's one of the best stealth perks even at high level play; being silent while injured makes you much harder to track and makes hiding a possibility no matter your health state. Sprint Burst can also be nice to buy a lot of time cheap, and sometimes discourages the killer from following you if you were working on a gen and suddenly shot off into the stratosphere. Some killers will just kick the gen and move on.)

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

You dont you loop windows and pallets to waste as much time as possible

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,553

Line of Sight is very important for both sides, but in the topic of losing the killer is exponentially more crucial. The moment a killer can no longer see you physically , it becomes far more difficult for them to stay on top of you.

If you know for a fact you've been caught, find tall objects that you can run through, a killer will not know if you're waiting for them to continue looping or if you've ran past until they've closed the distance, especially if the Line of Sight blockers is wide enough to hide scratch marks as well.

Either way, during this time, if the killer is distant enough you can walk away if you can handle the stress, just make sure you stop running at a place where they need to fully check out the area. By the time they realize you're not there you could already be in the clear.

• TheClownIsKing
    edited June 2021

Something else I forgot to add earlier.

There actions that you can do as survivor that if it makes a load noise will the killer either an onscreen visual notification of the location of that noise, or an off screen indicator telling the killer where to turn.

Most are tied to actions you perform while holding the run button, such as:

• Vaulting while holding the run button.
    • Entering a locker while holding the run button.

You also give the killer one of these location notifications whenever you:

• Sabotage a hook.
    • Drop a pallet.
    • Fail a skill check of any kind.
    • Unhook a teammate.
    • Anything that causes you to scream.
    • When you remain idle, or remain within a confined area without doing any action for a period of time. Crows will start to circle overhead. When you have 3 of them, the killer will be told where you are.

You can sometimes use this knowledge to your advantage to either trick a killer, or draw them away from important areas.

Again, hope this helps.

• TheClownIsKing

Sorry for the spam, but I love to help newbies.

Another tip until you feel much more experienced as a survivor is to never let yourself stay injured. Always heal or get healed whenever you can because eluding the killer is much easier in the healthy state.

This is why it’s a good idea to stick to one of the 4 beginner friendly survivors, as they each have ways of mitigating some of the dangers of the injured state.

Dwight - Bond + Leader means you can always easily find someone to heal you, and be healed quicker.

Claudette - Botany Knowledge + Self Care means you will always have a way to heal yourself if nobody else can help.

Meg - Sprint Burst + Quick & Quiet increases the probability of avoiding getting injured in the first place because of the extra distance you can create between yourself and the killer, with the slight chance of giving them the slip when you perform your next rushed action.

Jake - Calm Spirit + Iron Will allows you to be stealthier whether in the healthy state or injured state.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

The normal outcome of a chase is that you get caught. That's something I didn't really get when I first started the game, either, since the premise makes it seem like you would be trying to lose them and hide.

However, if you burn an exhaustion perk at the start of the chase -- like Sprint Burst or Lithe -- sometimes the killer won't bother following you, because it seems like too much trouble to catch up, especially if there are other people around. So, if you're having an issue where you get chased and go down immediately whereas your teammates can extend the chase longer, Sprint Bursting away can be an okay strategy.

Losing the killer in an active chase is hard without knowing the maps super well and being able to lead them to a place where you can fake them out and double back while walking.