Why is Dead Harding over a bear trap still a thing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556
    edited June 2021
    Options

so if someone dead bards through a trap in front OR behind they can drop the pallet

no. they won't drop the pallet if they dead harded over a trap...

they either A) dead hard over a trap

or B) drop the pallet over the trap to be able to vault it

B doesn't happen unless you're bad at placing traps. so they deadhard. and now you have to go around while they gain distance.

My question to you is what does that have to with with anything in relation to how you personally feel about DH? I see you defending it so I am not sure why you feel the need to judge how I play when I was simply pointing out that IMO that is where people have issue with it?

What does the ability to dead hard over a trap has to do with me saying that you shouldn't be able to dead hard over a trap because it's unfair?

I wonder...

If a survivor is being chased and you are about to get a hit on them, I can guarantee you 110% they will not have time to both, drop the pallet and vault. Regardless of where that trap is.

I never said they had time to do it in those circunstances. don't strawman.

and if they have deadhard, we are back to the previous scenario.

Also, PS I am not sure how old you are but learn some forum etiquette. You sound very condescending and I’m not just talking about your response to mine.

You read my posts with whatever emotion and intention you want. You read it as condescenting, so I sounded condescenting. that is all.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • Hektic3000
    Hektic3000 Member Posts: 674
    Options

So ill go with Calm Spirit and the doctor, calm spirit prevents the screams doctor makes you do since its his power. Its a good perk for him that isn't always used since the effect of calm spirit isn't applicable in every situation. Dead hard, allows you to dodge any killer attack(basic or special) or make distance, which can always be of use, as well as dodge a trap set by the killer that you would normally have to disarm...i think that's just a bit much....

• Toybasher
    Toybasher Member Posts: 911
    Options

Again, the main reason why I hate dead harding over traps is even if you have good placement the survivor can dead-hard over it. If it's a narrow loop YOU can't go around the trap. So if you trapped something like a doorway or a narrow corridor and they dead hard over it, you've lost the chase because you have to stop, pick the trap up, (and optionally set it back down behind you) by which point the survivor is long gone.

If your hands are full with traps already, you have no choice but to go through the trap, eat the self-trap, watch the animation (during which the Trapper is looking down at his feet, so you can't see in front of you) and once the stun is over, the survivor is long gone.

Honestly at this point I don't know what the solution is. Ideally dead hard shouldn't make you immune to trapper traps but I'd settle with Trapper not being able to step on his own traps anymore. (Maybe only when carrying a survivor.)

It's the self-trapping that makes DH in this situation frustrating because without it, DHing over a trap would still be a little annoying but it wouldn't lose the entire chase.

• nutmilk420
    nutmilk420 Member Posts: 153
    Options

LOL you guys do realize this is a bait post right? Either way its funny to watch everyone rant.

• Toybasher
    Toybasher Member Posts: 911
    edited June 2021
    Options

To be honest quite a few perks were reworked or nerfed to reduce the "######### You Factor" against certain killers.

Small Game used to proc on killer belongings such as bear traps, hag traps, freddy fake pallets, etc. (This change I actually don't really agree with since it gave small game a niche compared to Detective's Hunch, but I understand the reasoning.)

Object Of Obsession used to proc on stealth killers.

Slippery Meat used to increase the chance of wiggling out of trapper traps.

Sabotage in general was nerfed. Bear Traps used to be saboable and it was absolutely infuriating at launch since originally sabo'd traps never respawned, meaning survivors with toolboxes could destroy your power entirely. (And it worked on non-armed traps too IIRC so they could get to work destroying your traps as soon as the match started.) First they changed bear traps so they respawn when sabo'd, and it was changed again so they're no longer saboable period.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • Hektic3000
    Options

Which makes me wonder why they're so adamant about trapper traps staying exploitable vs dead hard despite being a trapper main...

• FancyMrB
    FancyMrB Member Posts: 1,250
    edited June 2021
    Options

Trapper could have have both those buffs and that would great for him! Carry at least 2 traps and DH doesn't null his traps.

You are right that there are perks that counter killers powers. However, Trapper is a special case. First, his power is already countered by disarming traps... no perk required. Second, Trapper's power requires going to get his traps, setting them up, and resetting them when they are sprung. This takes a ton of time away from chases and gen defense just to use his power. On top of all that swf on coms obliterate him. They know where traps are and can pop them fast.

So survivors already have the means to counter his power. DH not only gives survivors that invincibility frame but it also hinders Trapper. That pallet you trapped that a survivor just DH through... you can't follow them. You have to now pick up your trap to get past. At this point the survivor is long gone or they are going to play the pallet further wasting your time.

With Iron Will Spirit can still phase, still see scratch marks (or blood). She can use her power. Calm Spirit stops screaming but not madness. The doctors powers still work... also who runs calm sprit? I haven't seen that used in ages. As for Spine Chill it is good against sneaky killers but it doesn't stop stalking, invisibility, or reverse bear traps.

DH is a meta perk and in most games. Trapper has a very unique disadvantage to the perk and something should be done about it.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752
    Options

So you don't want Dead Hard nerfed because of the Trapper, you want Dead Hard nerfed because if it is used perfectly, it allows you to dodge any killers basic or special power. But just because a perk does something special, don't necessitate it needing a nerf. You agree that a nerf is needed on something that is causing unbalance in the game? What unbalance is Dead Hard causing in the game that other perks aren't causing?

• Hektic3000
    Options

All of this is valid but no, since they're the trapper main and they say DH isn't a problem its ok. /s

• Hektic3000
    Options

Since you don't want to listen to me here is someone else telling you.

So survivors already have the means to counter his power. DH not only gives survivors that invincibility frame but it also hinders Trapper. That pallet you trapped that a survivor just DH through... you can't follow them. You have to now pick up your trap to get past. At this point the survivor is long gone or they are going to play the pallet further wasting your time.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    Options

I been wanting the developers remove the invincibility from DH so that survivors have to use the distance to get them to safety. Not use the invincibility to tank an attack that would otherwise down them, which would mean DH wouldn't work on traps.

• TwitchyMike
    TwitchyMike Member Posts: 759
    Options

I can see why that would make sense actually. I agree with you actually.

• Munqaxus
    Options

But you have already said that the Trapper special power isn't the problem with Dead Hard, you said the problem is a perfectly used Dead Hard can avoid M1s and Special Abilities. But again, I ask, why is a perfectly used Dead Hard a reason to nerf a perk? How does Dead Hard unbalance the game? I think we can assume you mean it unfairly extends chases, wasting killers time. But how does it unfairly waste killers times more than other exhaustion perks?

• Hektic3000
    Options

I never said using dead hard to avoid m1's and special attacks is the problem, that's something you tried to push onto me. I'm perfectly fine with people using it for that or to make distance, I have a problem with Trappers traps being ignorable when its literally the only thing he has going for him, his traps should be something you either respect/avoid or you actively disarm to deny him the benefit.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    Options

Even better when the narrow area isn't narrow enough and the survivor can face plant the wall and still squeeze past the trap, even though they step on the trap springs!

• Munqaxus
    Options

But his traps aren't ignorable. You have to specifically use Dead Hard to get past 1 trap and it's the only way to ignore traps and it only ignores traps if the survivor sees it and if the survivor is hurt and if the survivor isn't exhausted. These are extremely specific conditions to justify a nerf to a perk, don't you think? Should a perk be nerfed just because, in very specific conditions against a specific killer a survivor happens to use a very specific perk that allows a survivor to ignore a killers power 1 time every 40 seconds? Does this seem over-powered to you?

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495
    edited June 2021
    Options

I don't know why they decided that it should be a thing. It just hurts Trapper

• Hektic3000
    Options

You start by saying his traps aren't ignorable and then tell me that they are in fact ignorable....Being hurt and not exhausted isn't really that specific of a condition, its not like exhaustion lasts for minutes its perfectly controllable. Ill give you this just so you understand something, franklins was nerfed to stop nemesis players from making survivors unable to use vaccines. Instead of just changing vaccines they nerf the whole perk to do something else, instead of this one specific instance.

• JimbusCrimbus
    JimbusCrimbus Member Posts: 1,056
    Options

"Perfectly fair and balanced perk". Free distance and iframes at the press of a button when the killer outplayed you, or even more busted, for distance when there's nothing the killer could have done about it. All as a reward for failure, because you need to get hit to use it.

Fair and balanced, sure. That's what people who crutch on it say. Get better at the video game.

• Dweet_Unfairfield
    Dweet_Unfairfield Member Posts: 215
    Options

Trapper is boring asf to play as and against lol. "Ah unlucky. Locked in a rng device. Chase over"

Its realistic. If i saw a trap I'd jump over it instead of stepping in it. The real issue is survivors getting out on attempt 1 constantly while i still get held there long enough for him to cross the universe.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,660
    Options

This is one of the reasons why I don't play Trapper as much anymore. He has a dumb amount of counterplay for no reason.

• Zenro
    Zenro Member Posts: 319
    Options

Honestly remove the invincibility frames from dead hard boom fixed. The most effective way to use dead hard is for distance or to make a swing miss. Neither of those instances will be affected by removing the i frames. Only the annoying/weird ones like dead harding traps/point blank dead hards at windows and pallets. Dead harding hatchets and things while they just pierce through you. Ultimately the perk would stay the same but remove the bs. Just like the DS nerf did.

• LylakLavender
    LylakLavender Member Posts: 339
    Options

This I agree with whole heartedly. Trapper should not hit his own traps.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719
    Options

I like that "Dead Harding" is now a term. I'm being serious, I like the transformation of the title into an actual verb.

There's a character named Ace in the game. Ace can use Dead Harding. If Ace uses Dead Hard, you could say that it's "Ace Harding". Ace Harding is the name of the protagonist from a 30's-era detective game called Deja Vu. Deja Vu is also a perk in the game.

It's all coming together. The only logical inference to draw from all of this is that the Illuminati is responsible for Dead Hard being able to bypass bear traps.

• latinfla4
    latinfla4 Member Posts: 2,119
    Options

I think trapper should get enraged at a dead hard over a trap and be able to walk over his trap dead hard style if he has bloodlust activated

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130
    Options

Dead hard can counter other powers as intended so it does make sense it can dead hard over a trap. Traps need ways to counter actually. Killer mains never say how powerful trapper is for stopping loops.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,009
    Options
  • C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,239
    Options

Wait for the day of a patch that:

• Dead hard no more go through BearTraps.
  • Krunga
    Krunga Member Posts: 159
    Options

Because Trapper is one of the most overpowered killers in the game, that's why. (Sarcasm)

• Munqaxus
    Options

Dead Hard works against Billy's Chainsaw, Huntress' Hatchet, Deathslingers Gun, yet shouldn't work against Trappers Trap? Dead Hard is doing exactly what it's suppose to do, dodge Killer powers. Nothing to see here.

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495
    Options

.... seeing you make a serious comment just broke me. I'm not prepared for that

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556
    Options

you mean the one you can easily deny by pre-dropping a pallet?

the one that needs to be used in a combo with enduring or it's just not worth it?

you really mean that one?

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    Options

While I doubt the devs would change this they should definitely give Trapper so many improvements Trapper Sack Base and removal of RNG from his kit.(Exceptions maybe)

• WishIcouldmain
    Options

Yeah it's true while it shouldn't change Trapper still needs buffs.

• WishIcouldmain
    Options
  • shyguyy
    shyguyy Member Posts: 298
    Options

This is probably mostly due to the fact that Victor's hitbox is absolute garbage.