Trickster is not the worst killer

Chocolate_Cosmos
Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735
edited July 2021 in General Discussions

He is not. He is like top 5 worst killers for sure. I am not saying he is good or balanced. He is very weak however he is far from worst.

He can shutdown anyone in open loops quickly. If he catch you in the open you will be stormed quickly. Some loops or strucktures are good for him as well where he can trow a lot of daggers on you. While you locked in animation (windows, pallets, etc.) he can hit a lot of daggers.

I think people underrating him a bit. But he is still on the weaker side for sure.

Comments

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn
    FrndlyChnswSalzmn Member Posts: 705
    edited July 2021

I dunno. I have seen a few Trickster mains who seem to do fine or even consistently dominate at red ranks, which tells me the problem is most people suck with him but he's not generally bad.

Edit: Which is the conclusion I came to because I main 'weak' Killers and do fine with them. Some of y'all are just too lazy to try anything even remotely difficult.

• Verconissp
    Verconissp Member Posts: 1,587

90% of red ranks / purple ranks Aren't the best...

That's where trickster dominates...

....That's it,

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn

Well of course most players aren't the absolute best. If they were then they'd be average and whoever was better than them would be the best; that's how it works. What I'm saying is he's nowhere near as bad as everyone claims. Same as Myers, Nemesis, Trapper and all the other allegedly 'bad' killers. I have found in every instance that the problem is people sucking at the game and refusing to adapt to a new playstyle. Every case; and that's understandable, because not every Killer will click with every player.

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn

Much worse, yes. But not unplayable and he can still win. Fact is, some maps suck for certain killers and other maps are great for them. What DbD needs is a wider variety of maps that is also balanced layout-wise. In fact, this game just needs more maps period. I'm sick of doing nothing but Coldwind at red ranks.

• Chocolate_Cosmos

There are some rly good maps for him and of course some that are not great.

I think he is better than Legion or Trapper (at least if you are decent Trickster).

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378

Name me two killers that are worse

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628

I tried him the other day for my daily for the 1st time (I mainly wanted Starstruck lol)

I haven't played any projectile user since I'm on console (I love Doctor, Demo, and Myers). The speed is a little rough but I could see how he can end chases fairly quickly. Missing blades isn't as punishing as say Deathslingers 1 shot or Huntress' 5 hatchets. He didn't feel terrible, just really different than other killers.

I'm not a fan of Nurse or Blight who are considered top tier mainly due to the mechanics of their powers.

I think most killers can be effective (not overwhelming domineering, but capable of forcing pressure) if you put enough time into understanding their powers and mindgaming properly.

I played Nemesis yesterday for 1st time. A missed tentacle attack which only contaminates seems to be more punishing imo. Not only would you not injure them on 1st strike, but you missed lol

• Verconissp
    Verconissp Member Posts: 1,587

Legion and Trapper are 100% Better than him in every situation...

The fact that i can abuse him at a T / L for a very long time. then move onto shack which is his biggest weakness.

No other killer struggles with Shack. than trickster..

• WexlerWendigo
    WexlerWendigo Member Posts: 1,867

Trapper is easily the worst

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

I think it's fair to say Trickster is in the top 5 worst without being the absolute worst. He had some strengths, and can function a bit beyond being a standard m1 killer. He's still weak as hell and needs fixing, though.

• Entity_Lich94
    Entity_Lich94 Member Posts: 320
    edited July 2021

With any bag addons, he's easily the worst killer. Having to go to each individual trap and set it just to get some value takes way to long even if the survivors are not being that efficient on gens

• Razorbeam
    Razorbeam Member Posts: 594

I mean trickster isn't good, but there's something so incredibly relaxing playing him, maybe it's because you go in with such a low expectation.

• Chocolate_Cosmos

Trapper is one of my offten picked Killers so I know what I am talking about.

Face any decent Survivors or SWF groups and you are M1 killer with 0 power. You need to waste time to set up your power that might not even work. Survivors can dead hard traps, call them out, sometimes even run next to them without being hit by the trap (slidding on a side if there is enough little space). He NEEDS addons every game (Bag is a must) otherwise he is even weaker. He is very RNG depending. Even if you catch someone in a trap they can escape first time ezi with a luck or help.

I don't know what trapper are you playing but Trickster is at least not RNG heavy and can quick shutdown some loops.

• Entity_Lich94
    Entity_Lich94 Member Posts: 320

Fully agree with OP. While he's definitely a weak killer and needs some buffs, to say he's the absolute worst I think is just an aftermath taste people got from the PTB. Trickster can get multiple people down if they all rush in front of him out in the open, thus isn't something you can ever see trapper or legion pulling off

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn
    edited July 2021

This is a you problem. I played five Trapper games last night at Rank 1 against almost all reds and dominated HARD in every game, and four of those five were on Coldwind maps, mostly Rotten Fields (2 Rotten Fields, 1 Thompson House, 1 cowshed). Had 1 escape.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    edited July 2021

Legion and Trapper. Legion has no chase. With a power countered by basics that hurts him in particular. And Trapper will have some his power denied by being on the other side of the map. And a slow start with less payoff then Hag.

• Chocolate_Cosmos

Facing red ranks is not the same as facing a decent / good Survivors. I play on red ranks all the time and I can get even babies who can't even loop well.

I am not saying I am some good trapper but it's rly up to Survivors.

If you would play againts decent Survivors on these maps you would be happy having 1K.

• Northener1907
    Northener1907 Member Posts: 3,012

Legion is weak killer but at least he can make game really so slow with some perk combos. So i really do not think Legion is weaker than Trickster. But Trapper is weakest killer in game.

• Altarf
    Altarf Member Posts: 1,045

Trickster has the worst mobility and time efficiency in the game, rivaled only by Slinger. He also has no map pressure and a lullaby that prevents stealth. What does he get for these hefty flaws? A below average chase power which can't be used to spread damage, isn't worth using at range, and that is virtually useless at a majority of loops. One with random recoil, knife spread, needs to be reloaded at lockers, and has enough windup and winddown time to limit the times you can actually hit people around corners and the like.

Oh, yeah, and Main Event, which takes ages to build up, can't be held and often pops in bad scenarios, and in almost every situation is worse than just continuing to throw knives normally. And gives you a fatigue.

Any 4.4m/s killer that is better off NOT using their power in most situations is a fundamental design failure. He is quite literally just Huntress but infinitely worse. Easily the worst designed killer in this game, from a conceptual and arguably gameplay standpoint. At least Spirit has an interesting power concept.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911

No more maps please every new map is just awful. Holy crap. What has it been now ormund, rpd, midwich, Dead dawg saloon(though I like its layout feels way to huge imo). Don't even get me started on breakable walls good lord. I like the new map looks and design but I have yet to see one actually be good gameplay wise.

• Piruluk
    Piruluk Member Posts: 995

I think Trickster is the worst.

Even though Trapper and Legion both terrible.

Especially Legion but at least their base speed is higher.

While Trickster has no power and only 110% speed

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn

Um yes new maps. All the maps you mentioned there are my favorites: Lery's, Hawkins, Midwich, Dead Dawg and RPD. I prefer indoor maps; they're scarier to me and more fun. Looks like you might be a Hunterss main though So i can see why you dislike them, but thats all the more reason why we need more maps: wider variety of maps that favor different Killers in different ways.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016

Yeah I've seen trickster mains who do better than some huntress mains , there fun and annoying to go against

• Piruluk
    Piruluk Member Posts: 995

Yeah, Nemesis has 115% speed.

Has 2 AI bot free pressure or free downs,at least waste survivor time.

Instant destroy of pallets.

Trickster only has 110% speed, no power, most of time the m1 is better than trickster power.

Nemesis miles ahead of Trickster.

Nemesis is Nurse compared to Trickster

• Chocolate_Cosmos

I would like to see such Trickster againts decent Survivors. Than it might change my mind about him.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911

Ah yes I love loading into a map where my power is awful. Why don't we keep making more maps that effectively immediately define how screwed a killer is. Nothing more exciting then lerys blight right. All I get from this statement is you want nicer wallpaper at the expense of absolutely gutting half of the killers available. At the very least make it so certain maps don't appear when your playing certain killers. The game proved we can have good indoor maps just don't make them narrow hallways its really bad for dbd especially when it means the killer has no nuanced way to cut off the survivor so the games just boil down to hold w and pray. Your fun is coming at the expense of a third of the rooster. That's not acceptable. A player wants to have some sensation that they can have some impact if they load in observes the surrounding's and realize the games already over that's not acceptable. Hell even if you somehow pull a w from it were you really playing the blight or was it just trapperless trapper with a cane.

• zeplore
    zeplore Member Posts: 95

Somebody who does well consistently as Trickster while using Ruin/Undying/Pop/Corrupt is not a Trickster main, they are a Ruin/Undying/Pop/Corrupt main. Anybody can have success with any killer with these zzzz perks

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn

I mean, I main nemesis since his release on PTB. Still red ranks, still averaging 3-4 kills, often with no more than a single gen done.

It's okay if most people suck with him; I suck with Nurse. Can't play her well. But that doesn't mean Nurse is bad; it means i am bad with her.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267

I don't know man. I managed to win vs 95% of trickster I faced. Most of them that I see tend to get 1 or 2 downs in the entire game. I managed run a bunch tricksters for 5 gens. Yesterday we beat a trickster despite having a survivor DC with 5 gens. And all us 3 survivors managed to escape. But I guess he is not the worst.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,033

No, Trickster is the worse killer. He is 100% incapable of handling TLs and shack. Basically any L shaped wall with a window wrecks him.

Another problem is his spread is really high so you have to be close enough to m1 for accuracy purposes and then leaves you wondering why “I didn’t just m1 anyways?”

• Haddix
    Haddix Member Posts: 1,046
    edited July 2021
  • Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,033

The problem with making Trickster 115% is it deincentivizes the killer player from using the killers power. The power needs more buffs because as many people have accounted for in this thread, he cannot utilize it effectively in too many scenarios.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Being better than Legion and no add-on Trapper isn't much of an achievement, but yes, he isn't the worst.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

Nemesis has a power that results in 3 hit chases. It needs to be ranked up to get good and Survivors using the vaccines can really take the wind out of your sails. The zombies are fantastic. Best part of his power, but they are a smidge inconsistent. In all honesty, Nemesis has a bad early game... and the payoff is... eh? A power that's weaker and harder to use than Pyramid Head's. The one upside is that you can easily get away with running zero info perks on him because the Zombies help a ton with that.

Trickster is 110% but he has a power that makes holding W and most non mindgameable loops completely worthless. Like seriously... you do not want to face Trickster on Midwich because you can't abuse the hallways and most of the pallets also suck vs him. Several times I've had Survivors try to get away by holding W with the injury speed boost expecting to get behind a wall or something and they just don't make it because I never stopped chucking knives. Survivor's normal tactic of convoying the last hooked person to the exit gate frequently doesn't work very well because without cover, Trickster does damage faster than every single killer who doesn't have an insta down. Also, Trickster has these upsides from the word go.

• WexlerWendigo
    WexlerWendigo Member Posts: 1,867

Otz, one of the best trappers had him as the worst, is he either of the above?

• KillerKirby
    KillerKirby Member Posts: 79

I just feel bad for him in the new map. That map is a direct counter to any and all range killers I thought the tight halls would help but the rooms be so tiny and close together that I cant imagine getting anyone downed with him in that bad boy.