Is Yun-Jin Lee a killer candidate?

Options
Ashreave
Ashreave Member Posts: 139

We know survivors can become killers, her entry mentions her embracing the darkness within herself. The Spirits obsession based perk seems to imply she dragged her father into the trials as revenge. Inspite of his egotism The Trickster does not seem like he would truly be happy with the "indie fan base" he has in the Entities realm. Given he's used to having the attention of so many more and attention is something he craves and thrives on. Meanwhile all of Yun-Jin's perks come at the expense of others. Meaning if any one survivor from the character list was a proto-killer in the making it's likely her. Sure it's also implied that the survivors have an emphasise on helping each other and working together which could potentially change her perspective in such an extreme environment where ignoring other people's suffering will get you killed if you do it to exclusion. But she's spent her whole life ignoring that stuff to get ahead so it can't be an easy habit to break. Anyway what do you guys think? Is Yun-Jin the caterpillar waiting to transform into a slasher butterfly?

Comments

• ItzZane_
    ItzZane_ Member Posts: 965
    Options

Maybe...But you kind of forgot something...The thing that seperates survivors from killers is that survivors have humanity, Like they only help eachother because it feels right, But who knows Maybe when Yun-Jin loses hope she might become another killer like blight.

Yun-Jin is very difficult to understand, I don't know if she is willing to help others

But what i think is that she helps others Just differently...It's hard to explain.

• Gruul
    Gruul Member Posts: 130
    edited July 2021
    Options

No Yun-Jin isn't actively malicious or the type to lash out at a society they think wronged them instead she's decided she's going to play by the the rules of the world but flip them and use that against them. She's the most selfish character in the dbd universe and that's why the entity chose her because she is more of a survivalist than even jake and breaking someone so incredibly resilient and proud would provide good food for the entity and because she's so selfish that even if she does make through the trial anyone trying to survive with her is pretty unlikely to make it out so the entity wins either way.

That being said this is different than being a killer and there's a reason when yun-jin figured trickster out she didn't help him cover it up nor try to stop him it's because she probably has some warped sense of morality where she doesn't actively want people to suffer she just puts herself before everyone else. You could call her apathetic to the suffering of others sure but she doesn't like suffering which is something all the other killers have in common.

• Ashreave
    Options

I mean I would not say Philip enjoys suffering, if he did I doubt he'd have killed his boss. She was complicit, for something like the Entity who seems to understand and recognise people only through the lense of death and the struggle to survive. Being complicit is likely already an admission of ones true nature. Malice is not a laws a necessary component to kill and if Yun was told she had to put others in harms way to survive herself all signs point to the idea she would. Maybe not now, but after awhile? The temptation already exists within her and it will only get stronger.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,950
    Options

Spirit wasn't a bad person at all to be honest. Yun-Jin on the other hand, isn't a bad person either, but she isn't completely innocent due to her aggressiveness and selfishness. Plus you can sorta sympathize with her anyway, she's been through enough to the point where you couldn't even blame her for being the way she is. Worked extremely hard from being a poor person to become the celebrity she is, having to deal with rivalry in her life.

Even if she's selfish as hell and unwilling to save her... friends...? (Well, I honestly don't understand why she's willing to unhook or heal teammates. But then again, they can be from alternate universes, and the original Yun-Jin would probably just do gens and leave.) Despite her selfishness, I'm not even sure if she'd be okay with killing someone, unless it's on her life, probably.

Obviously the Entity can turn anyone into a killer, but I think it prefers her as a survivor. Gives it more entertainment, seeing a survivor being selfish to her teammates.

• Gruul
    Gruul Member Posts: 130
    Options

Wraith enjoys suffering in the sense of he believes in punishing people he perceives as evil whether it's Nigerian death squads or Russian mobsters he's kind of akin to being the punisher of the dbd universe.

Yun-Jin is too selfish to be like Wraith her sense of drive comes from wanting to be successful and attain status which killing is almost antithetical to that because nobody is inviting a murderer to a social event. She is absolutely a terrible person it's just the ways she's terrible are almost more likely to keep her away from murdering than not. She would put people in harms way but she just isn't the type to pull the trigger herself as she has no motive to do so. She probably wants revenge on trickster in the the realm and then after that's done get the hell out so she can attempt to somehow salvage her career as I don't think she'd resign herself to be a killer in the entities service because she'd see it as beneath her as someone who wants to flourish among the elites in higher society.

• Ashreave
    Options

I mean that implies escape is a possibility and that the survivors we don't see in the lore actually escaped rather than being used up, recycled as killers or simply dying for real. Yun can only keep hold of those kinds of ambitions for so long. Getting ahead will give way to self preservation and self preservation will give way to the need for it all to just stop. At which point the Entity could easily dangle the ultimatum of becoming a killer.

• Gruo
    Gruo Member Posts: 129
    edited July 2021
    Options

If survivor loses all hope they are put in the void (trash bin), they don't become killers.

Talbot/Blight become what he is now because the Entity took advantage of his addiction and corrupted him, turning him into a feral beast. To turn him into a killer the Entity tortured and destroyed his memories of his past self to make him an actual killer because he didn't lose his humanity, which is the main reason he was picked as a survivor. Also the Entity saw him as a threat because he took part of the Entity personal power and used it and he was able to get out of the void and he hid himself from it, he also has a lot of information about it. The only way to get 'rid' of Talbot is by turning him into a feral beast.

It was stated that none of the survivors were supposed to be truly good people. Survivors were all meant to be flawed in some way or the other. For example we are told survivors did kill another survivor in the realm because he kept screaming, and they wanted him to shut up so the killers won't find them. David King did hurt people and the Devs told us he is an ######### long before they start using the tomes to show us the stories more clearly. Nea caused someone to die accidentally, which is something Talbot did too but all of them were picked as a survivors.

What they made it clear for us is, these people are picked to be survivors because they showed guilt and remorse and didn't lose their humanity like the killers.

Post edited by Gruo on
  • ItzZane_
    ItzZane_ Member Posts: 965
    Options

A survivor CAN become a killer (Talbot was thrown into the void then he got out and became a killer because of his addiction)

Personally I think the survivors who might become killers are: Jake Nea Feng David and Yun-Jin

Though becoming a killer when you lost all of your hope Is very rare.

• Gruo
    Gruo Member Posts: 129
    edited July 2021
    Options

Talbot become a killer because of what he have done and the Entity needing a way to control him, not because he lost hope.

All survivors who become empty husk are thrown in the void. Killers are killers because they lost their humanity and made a choice and are willing to kill, which have been mentioned in a stream.

• Ashreave
    Options

David I can see Nea and Feng and Jake seems unlikely. You can't be a killer if all you do is stealth everywhere. Nea might have accidentally indirectly caused someone's death but it's not like she did it on purpose. She wanted to expose his corruption not get him killed. I think you might be mixing player stereotype with lore backstory for those three. David I can see though violence is something he's familiar with and the Entity seems perfectly capable of drawing out people's inner monster. Jake might have the woodsman thing but I don't see him going the Trapper or Huntress route unless someone forced him into it. Him being a saboteur might be kinda combative but I think he's earned the right to that level of combativeness when he's repeatedly being killed all the time. Plus he puts himself at risk for the sake of others by sabotaging. People who do that are essentially the people on my list of "least likely to become killers" Nea's Streetwise perk implies she's at least somewhat trying to help her fellows given it's a perk that extends to others. Feng is implied to be trying to treat the trials like a MOBA as a coping mechanism but while that's certainly something to watch for nothing about her really seems to suggest she wakes up and chooses violence. Yun is ultimately selfish to her very core which is why I can see her breaking in that way the others? Not so much.