Signs of a swf

Options

Curious since I'm dipping my toe into killer, what are the signs of a SWF that I should avoid?

I've been avoiding lobbies that suddenly load in all at the same time as 4 PC players, and lobbies that carry a map & key or multiple flashlights.

Any other signs?

Comments

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

There are no signs of people being swf, I use this name when I play both sides, and people still call swf when my teammates do great.

But yeah, I usually don't care about swf, I care more for ttvs (I usually avoid them so I check their profile to see if they have a twitch link).

Not because they carry items means that they are swf.

But sometimes pay attention to their name, I've encountered people actually referencing the other players names.

• ringwinning
    ringwinning Member Posts: 552
    Options

Yeah I watch for that too, I noticed as a survivor when I glance at peoples names.

One time there was a couple that was "Prepare for Trouble" and the other one was "Make it Double." Cute.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,179
    Options

not playing the game is the ultimate counter

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,256
    Options

If they all load up around the same time, like instantaneous that could be a sign that they are an SWF. And also if they all have the same name, or a name similar to each other like fza_. Basically if a name suggest they are in a group or clan. And also if they all dress the same it could a sign as well. But other than that it's almost impossible, I also use my instincts if I feel they are an SWF.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,639
    Options

i’m not great at predicting SWF’s but heres a few guesses.

1. everyone is playing as the same character with the same outfits or different outfits.
    2. everyone is on the same platform.
    3. everyone is carrying an item.
    4. two survivors burn a hatch offering and a map offering that has a killer shack or main building.
  • WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,179
    Options

I kind of dread playing with SWFs as a solo queue. You're treated as a meat shield and the killer has extra incentive to play extra 'hard'.

On a serious note though, that's pretty much all the signs. But they don't always work 100%. Some times swfs will load in more slowly rather than the insta-join and some times solos will jump in all at the same time.

That and the higher in rank you go, duos become pretty common.

• ringwinning
    Options

I may or may not be petty enough to bring Franklin's if I see two or more flashlights.

• CamaroThunder24
    CamaroThunder24 Member Posts: 10
    Options

For me it's hard to tell in the pre game lobby, but it only takes me a few minutes once in the game. When they all crowd around you for no reason, blinding you with flashlights constantly.. including every time you pick up a survivor, instant rescues off a hook in your face with everyone having BT. Now it might not ALWAYS be a SWF team, sometimes it might be just damn good solo survivors, but with their play style it's definitely a big sign.

Just do your best when you play against a SWF group and at the very least try to get as much BP out of it as you can.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624
    edited July 2021
    Options

First check if they showed up in the lobby all at the same time or not. If they all showed up at the same time good chance it's an SWF.

Next obvious signs are the player names. SWFs will often have matching or complementary names.

Next they may dress up to look the same.

If someone brings a key and another brings a map it might be an SWF.

If someone brings a key, someone brings a hatch offering, and someone brings a map offering it's probably an SWF.

Next, in match if someone has OOO it might be an SWF, but ever since the nerf nobody actually uses OOO anymore.

Well that's it really. Some people are super paranoid they check out the Steam ID of each player and see if they are friends. Neurotic bunch of killers all.

In most cases SWF doesn't matter. If you're at a point where you are so newb to killer that you have to ask, you are not going to be facing any SWF commando squads. That only happens when you're a Rank 1 killer. Any SWF you run into will be a bunch of newb survivors who have no idea what they're doing and are hiding in the corners whenever you come near.

If the enemy team performs well and seems coordinated taht isn't necessarily an SWF either. I've been accused of SWF just because I bring Blood Pact, Aftercare, Kindred and Open Handed. This build gives so much information to your teammates they can perform really well if they know what they are doing. Experience solo queue survivors can act in extremely coordinated ways if they have aura information to work on.

• ringwinning
    Options

I am definitely so n00b to killer that I have to ask.

Thank you for the detailed info.

Actually, thanks everybody; these are all good tips and while I don't plan on dodging them forever, right now it's just ... better for my own learning.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,851
    Options
  • VioletCrimes
    VioletCrimes Member Posts: 878
    Options

If most of the survivors are carrying flashlights, I assume they’re a trolling SWF.

• Jasix
    Jasix Member Posts: 1,245
    Options

Meh most SWFs are just friends playing together and not the boogeyman the forums want you to think they are....

As a killer I don't dodge even obvious SWFs - I just don't see the point. A SWF doesn't make a team God-like even with comms. I have beaten down many SWFs who come to my channel after and GG me and I have gotten my butt handed to me by 4 solos. Part of the fun as killer to me is the challenge - whether that is 4 solo players who are great at the game or 2-4 friends playing together.

• Apollos
    Apollos Member Posts: 1,052
    Options

If they're spinning around in circles and pointing at each other lol

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    edited July 2021
    Options

More often then not gouging your eye out with a spoon would be more entertaining then playing against swf at red ranks.

They are not "friends" they are random people who added each other from in game to win and talk #########.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,784
    Options

I dont really see the huge reason to avoid them, but the only thing I can go off is names and four flashlights.

Even then I'd play against them. Most of them arent genrush squads but are rather relatively fine.

• Customapple0
    Customapple0 Member Posts: 629
    Options

The SWF hate-train needs to stop. More often than not it’s just friends looking to have a good time.

Also can you really blame try hard SWF’s? Survivor’s don’t have to play nice for the killer and vice versa

• Zozzy
    Options

It will stop when you can put oracle against the best killers in the game and not watch the killer be stomped with 1 or 0 kills.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,354
    Options

Why do you think the hate-train exists? The matchmaking doesn't adjust for the advantage comms. This leads to some killers feeling they are completely powerless when versing friends looking to have a good time.

• Customapple0
    Customapple0 Member Posts: 629
    Options

Sounds like your problem. You need to adjust and play accordingly.

Survivors have every right to try hard just as killers do.

• win_kay
    win_kay Member Posts: 8
    Options

Sorry to say this, but all those "signs" you mentioned are really no signs at all. I mean if you want to avoid swf at any cost, I guess you could avoid lobbys with similar player names, or the same played character. Also if every character is particularly colourfully dressed that might be a (vague) sign, but you just can't know for sure, even after the game.

• win_kay
    Options

Dude 4 flashlights means lightborn play means easy win! :D

• Zozzy
    Options

Nah.. they just bang gens asap and leave instead of having fun with flashlights

Been there before.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

Lobby names that are related. Matching cosmetics and then the offerings are a big give away. Watch out for purple wards, vigo + keys

• win_kay
    Options

Sure if you are unlucky that might happen, but still better than 4 toolboxes with brand new parts and prove thyself. These players know how to have fun and that is by finishing the game asap.

• JPA
    JPA Member Posts: 1,685
    Options

I've had games where everyone wore the same cosmetic or had same names, and they turned out to be bad at the game, or were just memeing.

I've had games where everyone had items yet they were all rank 20s and got destroyed.

I've had games where no one had matching names or cosmetics, yet it turned out to be a 4-man and I got destroyed.

Honestly, just don't get hung up on if it's a SWF or not, in fact, don't get hung up on winning. Just play the game, and if you feel like it's a toxic SWF, feel free to AFK in the corner for the rest of the game to waste their time. (Just remember that not all SWFs are toxic too and they are the only way to really test yourself on this game)

• Canas
    Canas Member Posts: 1,021
    Options

I haven't played DbD since 12 days and I already feel much better.