We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Question about Ultra Rare Skins

Options
Nobodyyoucareabout13
Nobodyyoucareabout13 Member Posts: 20

This is realistically one of the most unimportant things for DBD, but I love the concept, so there is something I’ve been wondering.

Besides that, this is going to be a long explanation for something this insignificant, so if this seems boring to you, then feel free to just ignore it, I don’t want to waste your time.

We’ve known since the PTB of 5.1.0 that Legendary Skins that weren’t licensed would be turned into Ultra Rare Skins instead. An interesting change that doesn’t really change much and did not need to be notified, so they didn’t. A perfectly fine choice.

But for someone who loves the characters of DBD and the licensed ones, it did make me wonder about something.

Legendary skins were always meant to represent a totally different character than the one the skin was applied to. And I personally loved that. That mean that they could create new themes for Killers without necessarily needing to create a new one with a new power (although they are overpriced, worth even more than DLC, but that is not what this discussion is about right now).

However, despite this, Legendary skins always still felt like “skins”, not a totally different character, even though they were supposed to be. It was understandable, but felt pretty cheap. Same voice, same name in menu, same icon during trials, etc.

But then came the Resident Evil Chapter, introducing not only two Legendary skin Survivors with unique voices, but also the addition of unique icons during matches when a Legendary skin was selected. It really started to seem that the devs wanted to give the idea of “yes, these are actual characters in DBD” instead of “these are just an add-on”. Of course, Killer skins did not get that treatment, but you don’t see their icon during the match anyway, so it was understandable. Maybe they could at least change the names in the menu.

Rumors of uniquely written backstories for Legendary skins also started to circle around, which got me excited, but whether this is true remains to be seen.

But in general, it made me excited for the Minotaur and the Krampus. Although they are way too simplistic, not giving a new voice nor new menu animations (like Legion), I just love the idea that we actually had Greek and Christmas Killer characters, that weren’t just The Oni and The Trapper. They have the same powers, but that simply means they are a different character with the same powers. Once that fitted perfectly anyway. And with these changes above, I hoped they would be treating these as their own characters and maybe develop them more later (Of course, there is the matter of alternate universes (Terras) in DBD, but even then I think these are supposed to be different characters, not another version Evan or Kazan).

But with this change of unique Legendary Skins to Ultra Rare, I wonder what it means about how the devs think of these. They are still a special rarity. I mean, aside from some exclusive (non-outfit) cosmetics, they are the only one with an Ultra Rare rarity, so they definitely stand out. But that begs the question: does that necessarily mean that they still see them as different characters? Or are they not?

I can understand if they don’t want to develop these characters in the future and they do with licensed. If anything, licensed characters are more exciting and deserve more attention to make it feel like you play as them. I would at least love it if these original ones remained their own thing. That is the magic of these things, after all. Playing as new characters. It’s completely cosmetic, but it is part of the fun. It’s why we love seeing new licensed characters in this game. And while these skins have no legacy compared to Chris or Claire, I just love original DBD characters. They add more themes which, has really been a highlight to me since they started expanding their horizons, and these skins, despite only being cosmetic, add to it. I just hope that the Minotaur and the Krampus truly still are the Minotaur and the Krampus (if that makes sense).

Thanks for reading this if you did, and have a good day.

Comments

• JunkTARDIS
    JunkTARDIS Member Posts: 14
    Options

Ultra Rare skins are just cosmetic. Little changes that the entity has allowed the killer to embrace or represent. Legendaries are seen as whole new killers with a little lore in their cosmetic descriptions. I do wish, like you, that there was more emphasis on new characters BUT it is fun still to have them. Legendary skins so far are:

-Minotaur

-Krampus

-The Birch

-The Mordeo

-The Look-See