The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

R.I.P. Kate Denson

Kinguin22
Kinguin22 Member Posts: 40
edited July 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

Kate's face rework is horrible. She is just angry all the time.

Another thing, they ruined the most recent and perfect hair for Kate (Waterfront Massacre Hair) from the past rift.

I don't get it, her hair looks disgusting compared to the old version. I was hoping i'll get used to the new Kate, but i just... can't. Eyes are narrowed, nostrils flared, eyebrows angled. All this changes her expression from slightly smiling, calm hopeful songbird, to various degrees of annoyed/angry.

Just.. #########. If some of you guys love Kate's new look, congrats. This new rework killed Kate for me.

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• MrSmashem
    MrSmashem Member Posts: 161

I just take solace in the fact that I'm mainly looking at the back of her head all match. I had the same outlook while playing old Claire.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266
  • eleventbh
    eleventbh Member Posts: 374

Claudette's hair as well

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989

Not a Kate player, grew from general dislike of Kates to liking Kates over time. Kate mains like to run really tough and offensive perks. The last facemeat rework (which was pretty recent before this one) seemed really subtle and I didn't notice, but Kates everywhere seemed pleased.

This update is very noticeable and also terrible. Shes no longer a Kate; now she's a Kaet.

Rip Kate

• Apollos
    Apollos Member Posts: 1,052
    edited July 2021

It might be what it needs. Idk how Behavior operates, but I know some companies tend to let their artists have too much creative freedom. Artists shouldn't feel stifled in their work, but they also shouldn't be given free reign as if they're on their own time and be allowed to focus solely on what they want to make and not delivering what their audience or their customers want.

Again, not saying they operate that way since I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but the way they get stuck working on the same batch of specific characters reminds me of companies that do.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989

It's possible the artists at BHVR enjoy salary with commission. If they were solely commission, that would make sense too given the excessive repeat survivors that have excessive cosmetics, but I'm pretty sure they receive both.

As a resource manager, it's my belief and philosophy that any worker should enjoy what they do. But it is work, and there will be stifled feelings and there will be fluctuations in labor and materials.

BHVR was a much smaller company a long time ago. They picked up contracts for small time games n things, and used canadian government funding to grow their capacity and portfolio. Dead by daylight was semi-incidental and they were very smart when they hired Cote to manage marketing and they were very proactive to manage their growing finances once the Halloween chapter was released.

Somewhere, someone drew some lines in the dirt. Mathieu Cote talks about these lines in a few videos, where certain things are simply not allowed. No killing children, for example, which is why stranger things featured Steve and Nancy instead of any kids. Charlotte and Viktor were suggested to be mother and child at one point, but that "went too far".

Problem nowadays is that they are now totally motivated by corporate gains and their political positions have become alot less ambiguous, which means they aren't sticking to those long held values as much anymore.

Imo, this year is possibly the big beginning of a long drawn out end. I suspect it'll show on the YoY report for 2022 as their sales begin to decline.

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824

Kate and Yui got ruined.

Feng can be fixed with a little work.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624

All the faces are screwed, they need to remove the opening mouths, they are so poorly done and everyone looks done with their crooked smiles and angry scowls.

Truly abominable, incompetent work here.

• Tricksters_Wife
    Tricksters_Wife Member Posts: 545

I think that the default Kate with the basic animation looks really pretty imo and I really like her more pronounced parted lips. Maybe it's because my mouth rests the same way naturally and I always felt self conscious about it but seeing someone pretty like Kate having it makes me feel good about it. Not sure if it was intentional or not but that's my view of it :)

• Kinguin22

Old Kate was so innocent... they literally made her look like ... idk who this person is but it's surely not Kate... she is the only survivor that i was using, i have evey single perk on her, 50+ Store cosmetics... she's the P3 survivor i have... i'm just dissapointed. I think i'mma just play Steve. If they never intend to do something about Kate, DBD will slowly die for me.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415

Skimping on the prestige cosmetic’s gore factor was bloody unnecessary as well, tbh

• Seegson
    Seegson Member Posts: 48

Thanks goodness. Maybe I'll get a reliable teammate instead of yet another braindead kate. Kates are by far the most useless and dumb. They might even outdumb notorious megheads.

• JayDoesGames
    JayDoesGames Member Posts: 264

Kate got prettier tbh. I dont understand the complaint

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

While I don't really care about how survivors look it's pretty sad that they work on things like this when the game needs work on so many other areas.

• Kinguin22

Cool you like it but I and many others don't in any way.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,785

I dont think the people that have been working on this are the same people who actually code the game...

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Still they pay people to do this so it's about prioritizing

• Apollos

Yeah, I agree completely. Especially creatively, people need to feel fulfilled in their work. But I've seen companies handle things where they allow artists to only communicate with the consumers they agree with, keeping them in a hugbox of acceptance and ideas, while also allowing them to not work on projects they deem too hard or unfun. It's really bad work ethic at that point.

I started playing around 2018 and it's really insane to see how quickly things have shifted even from that point. Their motivations with corporate gains and political positions like you said are so obvious. The anniversary event featured all those staff blurbs about how much they appreciate the community, and yet they sold the RE chapter for the entire duration of that event without so much as a disclaimer that it was broken prior to purchase. I'm sure new players who bought the game and the chapter purely because of the crossover would've liked to know that they weren't allowed to play the RPD map before loading in and reading the News tab.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out.

• Apollos

Looks like they probably won't fix the cosmetics I use then. 😥

• Aknoton
    Aknoton Member Posts: 30

The most annoying thing is that there are a lot of other problems in the game that need to be urgently paid attention to, but the developers decided to spend energy on something that no one asked for. At the same time, they did it very badly. I would still understand if the level of graphics significantly jumped, but no, technically everything looks no better than before, but even worse in terms of design.

• kisfenkin
    kisfenkin Member Posts: 616

I feel like this is stretching the truth. Are they honestly telling us that people went to 'official sources' to complain about how ALL of the characters look, so they changed it based on THAT?! That's not the case. They changed it because they thought they were 'improving' the art without customer feedback, and spending their time producing something rather than nothing meant their team made money. Which is really the point. They did it for the money. Not to improve anything.

So, here is the information we need to PROVE that we are not happy with their changes.

Where are these "OFFICIAL SOURCES" where we show them that the majority of players are not happy with these changes? Someone please provide a link and everyone go tell them exactly what is wrong (or right, if you like it) with the cosmetics.

• Kinguin22

Well said, a lot of people complained but nothing changed. I don't see the point of PTB anymore.

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,409

This makes me sad :c

• Kinguin22

As a felow Kate main, i feel you man. Praying for all the Kate mains in this dark time.

• dan542
    dan542 Member Posts: 10

They ruined Feng Min too look at the state of this looks like an angry man I’m so done