Seriously???!

2»

Comments

• Lord_Tony
    Lord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109

so basically if the survivor lags they win

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

I mean there was blood and all so something is pretty wrong there.

• PlayEvilDead
    PlayEvilDead Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2021

actually it does matter unless you can work around the speed of light. but also how your ISP routes the traffic matters sometimes even more if it's really inefficient for gaming since it'll make the ping even higher as some final fantasy 14 players from one of the ISPs had to deal with at one point about a couple or few years back. Once we get to that point, since I can barely tolerate the latency on 4K displays (I grew up on CRTs and the atari and nes games of the 80s), I'm done with gaming outside of a black market for anything leaked or stolen source that's managed to be made able to run outside of 'proprietary hardware'. Gaming would be both a rich man's (locally) and a brainlet's (on the cloud) game then.

It is physically impossible to overcome all of that latency, and no corporation will ever want to pay for servers in every city you're playing from, plus that does not resolve the latency for rural users even if they did do that. The speed of light limits it, and will assure there will always be latency even with a server downtown (just 99% wouldn't even notice it if the server was that close and if they did it would probably be psychosomatic in those cases), which will finally make video games unenjoyable for some of us who cannot tolerate the latency, visual freezes and other annoying issues as the fact everything will literally be an overpriced rental.

But the point is, it does matter how close you are but it also matters how that traffic is routed. You could be right next to the server but if the ISP sends it to the moon and back first, you might as well throw the computer out the window and quit.