The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Is anyone changing their main due to cosmetics?

I hope everyone is enjoying the double BP event this weekend! This post is something of a mini-rant and combination of curiosity and seeking solidarity.

I've been a Kate main for years. I have every teachable and base perk on her in the max purple rank. I have unlimited items on her including anniversary items that I always leave one of as a sort of memento. Kate's cosmetics are usually very hit and miss for me, she has some real doozies in my opinion, but I've bought nearly everything that is put out for her for the sake of showing my support for a game that I truly do love. What little fan art I've done of this game has always centered around my main!

But I hate the way Kate looks now. God do I just hate, hate, hate her new face. When they showed the supposed work-in-progress picture of her I edited my own version and talked about how I hoped we would get something closer to the original or how perhaps she wouldn't be as bad as she looked in those pictures. In my opinion she's worse. I know this is all subjective and that some people probably thinks she looks fantastic and for those people I am really, really happy! Because Kate has a beautiful backstory and is a really great character. But I am so beyond disappointed.

I've sunk so much money into her. Countless hours, millions of blood points, and now I have to start over with a new character. I only have a small handful of other characters who I bothered getting to prestige 3. I have barely any paid cosmetics on other characters... I think I'm going to switch to Nea but I feel so discouraged by the money I'm going to have to sink into her to buy her some cosmetics that I like and the tedious grind of getting her to Kate's level of perk options. End rant!

Is anyone else feeling this way? Is anyone else changing their main because they feel they've been ruined by the update? Let's wallow in our wasted time and money together! 😅 As always take care and happy gaming, everyone! <3

Comments

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352
  • Zokenay
    Zokenay Member Posts: 1,158

The new Neon Legion cosmetic definitely makes me want to play them more.

• Ludicris
    Ludicris Member Posts: 244

I kind of am having the same experience with Feng, but trying to just "I'll get used to it".

I really wish I had her blue hair back.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,950

I'm impressed with jakes cosmetics I like the new rift ones

• ImBrakingBike
    ImBrakingBike Member Posts: 454

Not changing really but I want to learn how to play Oni just because I love his Minotaur skin :)

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

I got lucky with Dwight and Trapper, but I had to change my Dwight from shades and a vest to Vigos with a preppy cap. I don't want Dwight to be scared. He's the fearless leader. His cosmetics say so sometimes.

• Looney
    Looney Member Posts: 16

Still maining Feng but they ruined her ponytail cosmetics and the mask for me, mainly cause the jiggle physics are just stiff now.

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

I'm not changing my main but I'm changing my main outfit. The outfit I used with Ace looks so bad now I had to buy new cosmetics.

• FeminineSlime
    FeminineSlime Member Posts: 90

I am still gonna play Kate with certain faces that kinda cover up what they did, but I have definitely been leveling other survivors again. Amusingly, I'm also playing a lot of Nea like you, OP. It's a real bummer what they did but I guess now I get to play more fashion with more people and feel depressed every time I log in and see Kate at the campfire.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,014

Ehh... even if I didn't like the way my main looked now, I would still main them because I like the character for who they are.

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,409

Same, I've played less Kate lately, when she is my main. Trying to play her to see if I'll get used to the new look, but I really don't think it's going to grow on me. They need to rework her rework.

I've been playing Claire, who I'm also hoping gets a fix soon. They swapped out her zombie eyes in the patch but she still needs some work. Doesn't look at all like Claire from the RE2 remake.

• KweenPlease
    KweenPlease Member Posts: 305

Hi, I'm also a Kate main. :)

Yeah when I saw her PTB update I was like " ugh gross. The parting of the mouth is off. Her mouth also feels too small with the face changes they've given her. "

That said it's NOT as bad in game as I thought it would be when I feared the PTB but now her cheeks ( and Jill's ) have an odd puffiness as well. ( Jill looks like she is in her 40's and she is in her 20's )

I also hate a lot of Kate's cosmetics. I've been waiting on " Flower in the Dark " since I joined to come back. It's my favorite set of hers and I don't have it. Kate's cosmetics are very hit and miss for me too. I really don't know how I feel about her Goddess one. It's more " Real Housewife of Florida " or something.

But I do love its hair. I WISH we'd get the hair from it without the hat in different unlinked colors! Kate also has the MOST recolors of her base outfit over EVERYONE else. Something like 13 recolors I think it was I counted of her " slip dress " JUST that I know of? ( With Prestiged )

but yeah I'd loooove like a Stevie Nicks moment for Kate or . . . like something vintage. They kinda missed their opportunity on the Rockabilly set but I use the top and skirt, it's just the hair sucks. She has so little that mix-matches well is another thing.

• Mistikus
    Mistikus Member Posts: 1,347

when i saw the kate's "geaphical updet" on ptb since that day i stoped playing her and putning any blood poinst an spending money, now i play as jake/nea and untill the kate fece is addresed i wont be playing her

• KweenPlease

The pigtails are ruined but ponytail and long hair is great?

• Irisora
    Irisora Member Posts: 1,442

Kate will always be my main. Even if they give bikini outfits to everyone except her, shes the most beautiful survivor.

Btw how can you dislike her face rework? She looks even prettier now.

• KweenPlease

Her cheeks got puffy, her mouth is too small and makes a rat-like expression. I like a parted lip but when I do art with it it doesn't look like that.

Also Kate got a summer outfit. It is a cross-body halter bikini top and sarong skirt.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

Small eyes, puffy cheeks and inhuman lip movement.. yes, so "pretty" Try to keep the corners of your mouth shut while lifting the middle part to expose your full teeth without moving your bottom lip...

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,785

Due to Jake's visual rework I've now started to main him (recently got all perks at P3 50). I'm also contemplating doing the same for Dwight bc hes cute af after his rework.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252

I'm a Jeff main so I'll stick with my beloved Jesus man

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,059

Nah luckily Dwight wasn't ruined but I'm definitely gonna main Laurie after her changes.

• kisfenkin
    kisfenkin Member Posts: 616

I am changing from Kate to Elodie. I am very displeased with BHVR's cosmetic downgrades. I want to make one thing absolutely clear to them. I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER COSMETIC FROM YOU EVER AGAIN, BHVR. From my point of view, you stole from me. That includes buying rift passes, because there is no other purpose in doing the rift other than cosmetics that no player can trust will remain the same.

• Looney
    Looney Member Posts: 16

For me Long Hair is great just the face looks weird.

Pigtails ruined 100%, but for me I liked the old ponytail.

• KweenPlease

Yeah the pigtails' fringe looks bad to me. The ponytail still looks great though. The . . . . Goddess ponytail? I loooove it. I never took it off til they improved the new long hairs.

• MadmegMain
    MadmegMain Member Posts: 105

I also dislike the kate changes. Made her look like my sister, huge yikes. The rest of the changes dont bother me but kates does for sure

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Yea I stopped playing Feng after her face surgery.

She was P3 and my favorite for some time.

Now I am playing Elodie, Jill and Nea since one had successful plastic surgery and the other 2 are considered too new for them to butcher their faces now.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

No, survivors are just skin and they really look ok in the higher definition. Everyone will get used to it in a month and then it'l be a non issue just like the new HUD.

Also you have to remember when buying digital skins that you don't own them you just pay to unlock them in game. They are BHVR's property and can be altered at anytime.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,844

I might invest into quentin now. For the longest time my go to survivor was Jake (who still looks great), I then switched to leon and now quentin could become my third highly invested survivor

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

I used to play feng min all the time, she's been one of my favorite survivors ever since I started playing this game and was even my hardcore main for 6 months. But after they made her look like thanos I just can't bring myself to play as her anymore. I thought maybe I could just use the skin with the facemask but they made the hair look disgusting for that headpiece so even that's a no from me.

I don't like the way Kate looks anymore either. She doesn't look bad enough for me to stop playing her but she definitely looks worse now. I just wear her newest rift headpiece with the pink glasses to cover up some of her face.

• Zani22
    Zani22 Member Posts: 444

That ones really cool tbh because og whats it going to do.

• Ruma
    Ruma Member Posts: 2,069

My mains are currently Nea, Cheryl, Feng and Yui. I wanted to main Kate too but now we got Leon and Jill, giving me 2 new possible mains... Thats way too hard to choose. :(

• Sherry
    Sherry Member Posts: 227

YES! I feel your pain. I have mained Claudette for years. I had all kinds of cute outfits on her that I liked. She's so ugly now and I hate it. They ruined Claudette. With the cosmetics I put on her, I really thought she was the cutest of all the survivors. Not anymore. I can't stand to play her anymore. I wish we could have an option of the new Claudette or the old Claudette. That would make me happy. On the old Claudette, I liked the poofy hair, no glasses and makeup look. That's how I usually played her and I thought it was adorable. They ruined it with her new face and now she looks like a hag. Ugh.

Kate wasn't my favorite, but I liked her. I finally found a hairdo that I liked on her, but guess what, it now looks totally different, so that was obviously a waste of money.

I'm trying to figure out who I want to be my new main. I might of picked Feng, but they ruined her as well. I'm thinking maybe Nea, Meg or Kate. Possibly Zarina, but I don't really like the sounds she makes when she's injured. And what's up with the long hair on one side look. They really overuse it in DBD and I'm not a fan. Give me a cute hairdo for Zarina, please.

• Sherry

I feel your pain. I wrote a big, long post in answer to what you're saying here. I went to edit a misspelled word and my whole post disappeared. :(

Anyway, I've mained Claudette for years, but her changes are so ugly. I always thought she was such a cutie pie, but they've ruined her. I had the one where she had the big hair, no glasses and makeup. I thought she looked so pretty like that. That's no longer the case, they've changed her to look just plain ugly. And her new mannerisms in the lobby don't help.

I bought a cute hairdo for Kate, but that's completely changed and is not attractive.

I may change my main to Nea, Meg, Kate or maybe Zarina. But I don't like the noises that Zarina makes when she's injured. I also wish they'd come up with a cuter hairdo for Zarina. They seem to love the hair long on one side, yet short on the other. Not a fan.

• Sherry

I forgot to mention Feng. Yes, I had a cute look for Feng. I had the ballerina and I liked it because it looked cute and feminine. Now she looks sort of butch.

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939

I'm not getting double blood points. Is that not on console or something? It's just regular for me.

As for cosmetics, I main Bill, Cheryl and Chris Redfield. No fancy cosmetics for me :(

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,385

Nope, though it would've been the best thing to do.

Quentin's rework completely removed his personality, everything that made him the best survivor. His old model may have been the target of many memes, but at least he had that sleep deprived look and Freddy's claw marks on his P3. An ANOES survivor who doesn't look deprived of sleep is, honestly, pathetic.

However, I am not playing DBD enough to get all the perks on someone else. So, every time I return to this game I will stick with not-Quentin.

• Sherry

That's the hairdo I had on Kate, that I thought was so pretty. I don't like the new one much.

• kisfenkin
    kisfenkin Member Posts: 616

So, what you are saying is that we should never have trusted that BHVR wouldn't rip us off? That's some defense there.

• pseudechis
    edited August 2021

I'm not defending anyone. If people feel ripped off that's ther perogitive.

Nobody got ripped off really though, they still have the exact same thing they bought. There was a graphics update and some things changed, mostly to make them more realistic and now a bunch of nostalgia people a whining about the change.

I'd say 90% of the faces are an improvement and there are very few genuine complaints that aren't just "wha I don't like change". "My creepy waifu looks different"

All this talk of "solidarity" and "petitions for change" is frankly a rediculous overeaction, if people cared this much about real issues that mattered then the world would be a utopia.

If the new graphics somehow ruined your game experience I'd say you are putting to much emphasis on it and perhaps you should take it as a lesson in blindly spending cash on digital content.

Is this why people get so mad when they die in game because they are creepily in love with the digital avatar they chose?

"My didigtal dolly dress up time is ruined because they gave her face some definition and now I don't like it"

I'd mock the whole thing some more but I think enough has been said.

• pseudechis

So the face has more definition and shading resulting in a look that is less cartoony idealistic and more mature realistic.

I'd say she went from comic character to gritty badass.

• CoolerBleend
    CoolerBleend Member Posts: 75

There was alot wrong with Kate's old face. Her eyes look like she painted them on.