The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

How would YOU rework Deathslinger?

DwarvenTavern
DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495
edited August 2021 in General Discussions

Would you give him a lullaby?

Make him pick up bullets in lockers?

What would you personally do? I love Deathslinger, I personally don't find him boring or ridiculous to go against.

But, a lot of people dislike him so I can understand people's complaints.

But some of the suggestions I read kinda neuter him.

For example, being force to have a wind up time when you ADS.

I wish to say I can understand WHY people would want this and I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just want to state that without anything additional it would just be more hindering for him since they gain that extra distance and you might have your chain break more often or you need to SQUEEZE that hit in.

Grant it, this is just a hypothetical, but everytime I see that suggestion my mind always goes to that issue.

Comments

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Id give him a small lullaby of about 30-28m otherwise he’s fine

• DwarvenTavern

That's actually pretty fair honestly. I always like an addon rework and I can definitely see him getting one. I've never been too much of a fan of the deep wound addons he has, it just feels stupid in my opinion.

But, a cooldown for canceling his power would be nice, what would sound reasonable to you? 1, 1.5, or 2 seconds?

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
  • DwarvenTavern

I can understand those complaints, personally I find it weird that he has no lullaby. I mean.. I kinda get it.. but it's still range and can pry you away from safe loops

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127

I wouldn't to be honest, I think he is fine as is. But if I did have the chance, I'd remove the spam ADS. And give him an add-on pass.

Like give him an UR that isn't tied to his small terror radius. Give him two bullets before reloading maybe.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Once trickster got one it always confused me as to why slinger had none. Tricksters effective range is much shorter anyway

• DwarvenTavern

I'm fine with the ADS cancel cooldown, no qualms here. It's just the wind up that makes me nervous, which.. sounds kinda ######### to say haha

• DwarvenTavern

I didn't have too much of an issue with Trickster's range, but you do have a point

• AGM
    AGM Member Posts: 806

I'd make him 115% and have a 32m terror radius (and therefore 24m with M&A). Then I'd also give him a cooldown when he cancels his power. I'd also rework a few of his addons as many of them do nothing useful.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

The same cooldown Pyramid Head has when canceling his ability (I think it is 1 second).

• DwarvenTavern

That's fair, it's a bit more relaxed for survivors and you can longer put fear into survivors just by spam aiming.

I'm just curious what the addon reworks would do instead

• DwarvenTavern

Can't argue with that, plus it would let the more durable chain addons be played more often

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 537
    edited August 2021

He doesn't need anything, he's already B tier killer at most

We already have a killer who is designed for 1vs1 with no mobility and pressure but who sucks at it anyways, thanks

I thought everyone hated recharging at lockers lol

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

I wouldn't, he's perfect as he is now.

. . .

But if there had to be some changes done, I can see a couple things that could be adressed without ruining him for people who enjoy playing him.

So depending on how many changes people would like to see either or all of these could be valid changes. All of it would also come with some addition buffs to his base numbers etc since we don't want him nerfed, just adresses what people don't like without changing his power level if at all possible.

• Small CD for canceling ADS, about 1,5s.
    • Increasing TR by 8 meters to 32m baseline.
    • The "Ringing" mechanic would also apply when out of ADS whenever a survivor is in the middle of slinger's imaginary ADS for a quickscope (from wiki - When Deathslinger is aiming at a Survivor within the maximum range of The Redeemer, that Survivor will hear a constant ringing sound that gets progressively louder the closer to the centre of Deathslinger's sights they are, warning them of an impending shot.)

All of these changes would help with the frustrations people have with slinger but wouldn't ruin his gameplay for people playing him. I as a slinger main wouldn't mind any of these coming to his BUT since these do help quite a bit with evading him and his shots, some small number buffs would be warranted to counterweight these need additions which are still basically nerfs.

So, anything from small number buffs to reload time, miss CD, MM while reloading, reeling speed or even if it came to it, chain durability. Depends on how much would it affect him and how much easier would it get to evade him either with holding W due to bigger TR or just simply thanks to more free feedback on what he's doing.

Anyway, that was just a quick thought I gave to the idea of a slinger rework that would hopefully satisy both sides.

• DwarvenTavern

No, not a buff rework.

Something that would make him less boring and slightly frustrating to deal with

• I mean that he is not that strong to be nerfed, he isn't even near at A tier, not the opposite

By they way he also has an high skill ceiling, and it rewards good player, I don't see anything wrong about him

• DwarvenTavern
    edited August 2021

Okay if he has a high skill ceiling wouldn't that make him better than B? Typically more skilled characters that have a higher skill ceiling would be around A.

But yes, I too agree that he's fine. I said that in the post. "What would you personally do? I love Deathslinger, I personally don't find him boring or ridiculous to go against."

This is just a post to see what people think

• DwarvenTavern

Personally I would like an addon rework for him the most. I really dislike the deep wound addons

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 537
    edited August 2021

Not necessarily

A good team can make you lose even if you never miss a shot, because he's still very rushable, very very slow and he suffers from big maps, and also a bit inept in indoor maps like huntress

Ghostface, Clown and Trickster also have a relatively high skill ceiling, but they are not that good anyways

They should just change some addons, especially the red ones

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Give him grenades.

• Lochnload_exe
    Lochnload_exe Member Posts: 1,360

I think just making him perform a slowdown when putting down his aim would be good so he can't just spam it. In terms of reworking I always thought it would be funny if he could shoot his gun into walls or objects as well and pull himself faster for map mobility, and then when he let's go he could perform an attack, so if you can't get a good shot you could do something goofy lmao

• MarcoPoloYolo
    MarcoPoloYolo Member Posts: 508

Got news for you, the general consensus is he's amongst the killers that could use a buff. His issues are simply a matter of taste in that a lot of survivors don't like facing him (so we're just basically just talking about reworking a killer purely based off of feelings).

If he were reworked to address the more valid issues survivors have with him, but resulting in a net buff, I'd do the following.

• Not change his firing time. The people that think his quickscoping is a problem tend to think his quickscope is shorter than it actually is. His quickscope is fairly average in time for power windups in this game. Maybe the ringing should be based on M2 presses, not when the gun's up for more feedback.
    • Increase the cooldown on his ADS. The fact that he doesn't is where the problems are. DS doesn't have to commit to any shot, and is actually rewarded for just threatening the survivor to dodge and loose distance.
    • Allow him to skip reloading if he lands a successful hit. So, the thing about DS is that he actually suffers long downtimes for failing, and significant ones even for succeeding. One disadvantage he suffers from compared to Huntress is that Huntress has 5 tries to hit a survivor and only has to wait 2 seconds to try again by default. If we're adding consequence to DS's ADS, and lowering his raw chase potential, it makes sense to lessen the advantage Huntress has. I like the idea of doubling down on high risk, high reward. If you're always hitting your shots, you snowball (even with STBL, his cooldown would be about the same as Huntress with this idea believe it or not). If you miss, you're punished.
    • And last, give him some map mobility. I don't care how it's implemented. Give him entity grapple hook locations in the sky or something I dunno. DS reeling in survivors is wacky anyway, so F*ck it.
  • Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,068

My changes are derived from me being very bad at Deathslinger. lmao

I would change the following:

• Speargun shots are now hit-scan, rather than projectile.
    • Maximum range of the Speargun is now 24 meters, up from 18 meters.
    • The time to break free from the Speargun is unchanged, however the ability for Survivors to sway left and right has a stronger effect.
    • ADS camera sensitivity is no longer reduced.
    • ADS time is now 1 second, up from 0.15 seconds.
    • Movement speed and camera rotation is no longer reduced after missed shots.
  • MarcoPoloYolo

You just made DS take longer to fire than Huntress and Pyramid Head whom have 5 shots and infinite ammo respectively. If you keep the ammo system in tact for DS, no one in their right mind would play him.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,366
    edited August 2021

Tbh all I'd probably do is make it so breaking free from the harpoon doesn't injure you however reduce the stun suffered by the deathslinger when a survivor does break free and remove the speedboost the survivor gets when breaking free. Also using the harpoon to hit a survivor should not count as a basic attack, feral frenzy doesn't count as a basic attack so neither should the redeemer.

• DwarvenTavern

Who's this general consensus?

Most people either say

A.) Perfect

B.) Boring/frustrating to play against

• MarcoPoloYolo

Who cares? Making it a projectile (albeit a fast but small one) is actually a skill-based element. If DS were hitscan, most wouldn't miss any shots ever, and people would probably be even more annoyed at facing him in certain circumstances. So, you know how Huntress and Deathslinger players like to try to bait someone to peaking a space like a window but it never works? Imagine that, but with a near 100% success rate.

• MarcoPoloYolo

B. Followed immediately by saying, he sucks as a killer. People that follow the line of thinking typically say "DS is a bad killer, but he's so frustrating to play against."

• DwarvenTavern

Not exaggerating when I'm saying this

All those complaints I saw were survivors playing against him, playing AS him feels pretty god damn good.

A buff would be ridiculous, a fun ridiculous, but still ridiculous

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089
    edited August 2021

Not seriou btw his guns a grapple when he shoots it sticks to anything it hits. He can pull him self faster to the shot or pull him self up to a second floor.

His chain has been changed to wrap around objects like how chains do so as a surivor you can attempt to wrap around a tree and he could pull himself up without it instantly breaking

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

Slinger is balanced. He doesn't need any changes. He gets curb stomped by competent Survivors, but at the same time he is a pub stomper

• truegod_10
    truegod_10 Member Posts: 393

Nothing he is great the way he is. Great chase power but lacks any mobility making him oppressive in the right hands but counterable.

If they did change him to reduce the effectiveness of his chase power by adding a wind-up time/aiming time, they would have to buff other aspects like allowing his bullets to do instant damage or giving him a movement ability of some kind.

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419
    edited August 2021

He's perfectly balanced in his current state, reworking him for """""""fun""""""""" would just ruin him. Survivors only want to change him because they can't absolutely ball on him by running from safe pallet to safe pallet.

• LiunUK
    LiunUK Member Posts: 944

I would make it that the redeemer has bullet spread the moment you ADS for 1.5 seconds meaning that it has 50% accuracy that increases to 100% over the course of that 1.5 seconds so if the Deathslinger shoots to fast there is a chance that even if the survivor is centre screen it might miss punishing Deathsligers for quick firing and giving survivors a chance to react.

of course this wont affect the Deathslinger if he is in close proximity to to the survivor but it will affect long range quick scopes.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452

Put a cooldown of 1,5s if he aim down sights without shooting and maybe give him a very subtle 32m lullaby, like the one that Trickster has. Also, addon rework.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452

That's pure physics. If you're fishing a target you should move in the same direction and way to prevent sideways movement. If this wasn't a thing Deathslinger would be unable to get long range shots. If you make survivors break more easily Slingers will just resort to the annoying playstyle of ADS spamming until close range because shooting becomes super unreliable from medium-long range.

• Jivetalkin13
    Jivetalkin13 Member Posts: 747

I think he's fine, but if I were to change something...

Make him take a couple seconds while in ADS to fire, but get ride of or reduce speed reduction while in ADS.

• Miles
    Miles Member Posts: 461

Dont give him a lullaby, what the hell. He is fine as he is, give a small 0,75 second cooldown for ads si he doesnt just spam it, add on pass and maybe increase reload speed after a succesful reel in hit.

Im more worried about trickster.

• Rullisi
    Rullisi Member Posts: 392

Make the game to check if it's a deathslinger when the match loads. If it is, they get disconnected and 24h matchmaking ban.

• DwarvenTavern

He is ranged, hence why a decent amount say that. I like him too, I think he's fine. I was just more or less curious as to why people suggest these ideas.

By the by, the suggestions in my post aren't mine, those are stuff I read.

• bigbeefynacho
    bigbeefynacho Member Posts: 351

Delete him.

• stikyard
    stikyard Member Posts: 526

I would like some idea he's close before I get shot at, that would be nice.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

the 2 changes id like to see are

1: give him a lullaby (idk how big, but he needs one)

2: make it so survivors have some sort of control over themselves when speared. once speared you literally cant move at all, and it comes down to whether theres a big structure with a lip in between you and the slinger.

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531

I'd give him an add-on pass, but that's about it. I don't think he needs to be changed.

Also, I feel like most people here are taking "rework" as "nerf". Then again, I guess Behavior "reworked" Billy, too.