In my opinion this is rock bottom

2»

Comments

• TheGhostofZgor
    TheGhostofZgor Member Posts: 334

I've heard a theory that a Stranger Things game is coming which is why Netflix decided not to renegotiate their deal. With the Evil Dead game coming next year, I hope this isn't going to happen to Ash...

• DrStone
    DrStone Member Posts: 132

Which freaking sucks because the games could still serve as a gateway to one another, promoting them ...

• Gruul
    Gruul Member Posts: 130

*Looks at Demo's pick rate and teachables.*

Yes truly impactful to the game.

• FeelsBadMan
    FeelsBadMan Member Posts: 570

Its about the fact that this can happen to ANY license at any time not how many people play Demo or use the Stranger Things perks.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,437

It's likely not money related, at least not directly. It is no secret that netflix is trying to get into games, it would make sense for them to make a game around one of their most successful franchises. It wouldn't make sense for them to keep that sort of thing in DBD as it would "in theory" compete with a potential game they want to make.

• VioletCrimes
    VioletCrimes Member Posts: 878

It’s unfortunate, but I’m not going to look at it as the beginning of the end. As long as the game keeps getting new licenses, it’s probably doing OK. I’m sorry to everyone who is about to lose their favorite killer and survivors.

• Sypherpathic
    Sypherpathic Member Posts: 488

Either you don't understand what is happening or you're really just being overly dramatic. Licensing is an agreement between parties. It's got a time limit, that limit is expiring and the two parties did not agree to continue the relationship. it's not some horrible rock bottom.

• Superyoshiegg
    Superyoshiegg Member Posts: 1,486

Source?

As far as I know, they (being M&M) very recently renewed their license for Silent Hiill and are actually adding new content from the franchise.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

they just recently made a tweet about it.

essentially what they said was, that the DLC was time limited and wont be around forever, so we should get it while we can.

• Gruul
    Gruul Member Posts: 130

It can't though? There's a big difference between something still ongoing and extremely popular like stranger things and something dead in the water like Elm Street not all licenses are equal.

The only licence I would worry about is RE but that's recent so I wouldn't worry for at least a year.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,860

I think the community and the game will be fine. Like losing a good co-worker who is moving on to bigger & better things, it’ll suck at first- but we’ll adjust.

It’s funny how I despise all indoor maps (except RPD) but I still don’t want to lose Hawkins. Even though I roll my eyes every time I see that HAL Laboratory offering, I don’t want it to go.

• Superyoshiegg
    Superyoshiegg Member Posts: 1,486

Fair enough. The article I read was dated two months, and I couldn't find anything else about the license being removed.

Hopefully the same thing does not happen to DBD.

• Weasdat
    Weasdat Member Posts: 143

Try not to worry so much. Payday 2 also is a game with tons of licensed crossover stuff and they lost a license too. But just one. Losing stranger things is more than likely a one off thing.

• PlayEvilDead
    PlayEvilDead Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2021

edited since suddenly this post reappeared after I already made another one tor eplace it when it got withheld

Post edited by PlayEvilDead on
  • Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378

Sadly there will be a lot of people who don't care or are purely apathetic about this. Mostly because many don't have/care about the licensed characters OR they have them and have the "**** you I got mine" attitude.

I think it sucks, majorly. Having any content removed is something I do not like. Down the line there will be players faced off against a Demogorgon and be interested to play them, only to find out they can't play as them anymore. And while this is all perfectly legal and "fair" it's a huge upset.

I especially hate losing the map. It was one of thr more fun ones for myself as both Survivor and Killer. Doubly so for me playing stealth Killers...rip an option for Scratch Mirror Myers...The Game rework nixed that map being a good one for that meme build, sorta same as the Hospital being a bet less great for it.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

...But it's not gone yet. You can still get it until November, if you want to.

• Nikkiwhat

I know, I know. I'm just thinking forward to when it IS gone.

• SasukeKun
    SasukeKun Member Posts: 1,858
    edited August 2021

It's a disgrace to the trust of the game, IT's always gonna be a constant fear my favorite series will disappear. Whether it be a dev choice or a license giver choice.

Post edited by SasukeKun on
  • Orion
    edited August 2021

It's not the first thing that was removed from the game, nor will it be the last.

• Legacy Prestige is no longer attainable.
    • Moonlight offerings are gone.
    • Lower-rarity map offerings no longer spawn.
    • Splinters were deleted.
    • Original Freddy was reworked.

This happens in every game.

• PlayEvilDead
    PlayEvilDead Member Posts: 91

Two things at play, this is paid content, and game-impacting content that newer players will never be able to obtain (don't give me the shrine BS since you might as well go to Vegas to see if you will ever both have the sharts and win the slots on those perks unless they make them permanently in the shrine as a secondary set of perks available permanently there and NOT in rotations). There will always be those able to play as the demo, and while he is not a great killer in most situations and they won't be losing any gameplay advantage really they will be losing the opportunity to have fun using him if a new player comes along and sees him and then gets let down when they learn he can't be acquired any more. They should just remove ALL ST content and give auric in the value of them tot he accounts and leave it fair if theyw ant any newcomers to the game and for the game to even be recommended by the time Evil Dead comes in february with what's looking like a MUCH more polished game, and a LOT more FUN along with actual bots on top of it (the reason it was delayed to february was to add single-player and bot players and good on them for the foresight).

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174

The ST cosmetics aren't available from Fortnite either from what I've heard. To me that says this was Netflix's doing.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

Idk how much this will impact the game. On one hand, most of the people who wanted these characters already have them. At least for long time players. And on the other hand I completley agree that new players will be denied an entire chapter of characters which I do find to be a problem.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

Or maybe thats a marketting move to renew license after season 4 and milk players even more.

I doubt it, but honestly, that wouldnt surprise me.

• Lord_Tony
    Lord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109

what about the perks though can you still get them from shrine of secrets?

• SasukeKun

Maybe by the end they will bring it back or let them keep it

• SasukeKun
  • Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

Rock bottom is a nice way to put it.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

There's always been a question mark about what would happen if a license didn't renew, and I'm actually pleasantly surprised that we're allowed to keep playing with the characters we've already bought and have an opportunity to buy them at a discount, with lots of advance warning, before they go away. Whoever hammered out that agreement thought ahead and made sure players were protected.

It's true that it creates another divide in the community where there will be people who played Before ST was removed and After but, since BHVR can't unilaterally control whether the license stays active, this is the best we could probably hope for.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,695

As someone who loved stranger things I do agree this is really bad for BHVR. I mean what if this happens to other licensed DLCS it could really hurt them.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,290

Yeah but the main difference were those were something everyone could obtain at any time at no cost other than time and they were part of the base game. This is a paid DLC that was marketed as a permanent addition to the game at least that would be a standard assumption for a player to have.

Now of course the delisting isn't the full removal of content aside from the map but it's basically a full major update being removed. I feel your examples aren't all accurate legacy was never removed it was just awarded once to players. Moonlight offerings was just a small thing that affected developer time and map balance so for consistency they normalized the lighting on maps and removed the offerings. Lower rarity map offerings didn't matter because we still have map offerings that guarantee the map and splinters were technically replaced with Iri shards being able to purchase characters and cosmetics.

Essentially though - Everything you mentioned is still here with how it was introduced or it was replaced with a new feature. Stranger Things is outright being removed with no replacement and to me that's a big deal. I do understand what you mean though and I feel there's merits to what you're saying but I feel there is a big difference between those small additions in the game and a major update being removed / replaced.

• ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal Member Posts: 326

The problem does become that any license could be revoked then survivors, killers and maps can just poof. And only people who purchased the dlc before will still be able to play these characters.

• Apollos
    Apollos Member Posts: 1,052

You guys pretty much put my thoughts into words. While keeping any cosmetics exclusive is still pretty lame, they're just cosmetics at the end of the day. Losing low-rarity offerings isn't a big deal either.

But having 3 characters become permanent exclusives that cannot be updated and losing a map forever is not even remotely the same.

The tone policing over people being upset over the info, like we should be happy for Behavior's sake, is really dumb too. But I already addressed that earlier.

• Nikkiwhat

I wasn't going to respond to this initially, but gonna add to what others have said.

Losing items is not comparable to the same weight as an entire Chapter being removed. The items removed over the past were balance/design & technical changes that everyone lost. There will still be players able to play with the characters, Perks and Skins from the Chapter that others will not be. No matter how little it concerns or bothers you, it WILL affect players and potential buyers. Especially if someone may be a casual player who may only play off & on, not keep up with everything that changes as they are changing and see a chunk of the game missing. Yeah you can say "snooze you lose" but it still ends up being a sh**y thing to come back to & find out.

Even if BHVR were to add a Killer that mimics what Demo does (if they're even legally allowed to "copy mine but make it a lil different" angle) it still wouldn't be the same. Not to mention we are losing an entire Map, which will limit options some builds & Killers (Scratch Mirror Myers comes to mind) have availableto utilize. Nothing to say of leaving a void for the Map rotation. Also to note that this is the first time paid major dlc to be removed from this game

• XANA7274
    XANA7274 Member Posts: 37

Seems to be a lot of overly dramatic flip outs that impacts little to nothing in the game.

First, This is the risk of using characters from other creators. It happens. Licenses expire, aren’t renewed, deals broken, etc. We can cry and speculate the loss of ALL the licenses, but given we’ve had Pig and Freddy for years with no issues, we can all take a chill pill.

We are losing a map no one likes to play (except peek-a-boo Myers), and losing the ability to buy these characters in the future. That’s it.

Nancy and Steve’s characters and perks will remain in the game (that no one uses to be frank).

Demo will still be subject to balance changes as that’s an aspect of the character created and owned by Behavior (cool downs, performance adjustments, add ons, debugging). Visual updates can still be performed to maintain game stability and performance.

just because this ONE license is gone does not they go into a block box and are untouchable. There just won’t be any new skins or cosmetics nor additional access to the characters. Think if it like the legacy skins.

DBD is not hitting rock bottom, they aren’t going bankrupt, they aren’t losing all their licenses, they aren’t shutting down the game.

So chill out and stop with the theatrics and calling the loss of ONE license as hitting “rock bottom”

• Orion

Not intended as a lecture, more of a "this is business as usual and you shouldn't really worry about it". Y'know, so people don't feel so down and come to terms with it.

That's why I added original Freddy, whose power was completely changed. He's essentially a brand new character at this point. Nobody else can play him at this point, not even the people who paid for him.

I also added original Freddy, dunno why it didn't show up for you guys.

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882
    edited August 2021

It's not rock bottom IMO, but it's probably the most disappointing news ever received for this game. Losing content sucks, period. Even if you didn't like Stranger Things, the survivors, Demodoggo, or Hawkin's....losing content is never a good thing.

I understand how licenses work and that our horror hall of fame game was never going to keep all its licenses at certain points, but it's still a huge blow for the game.

Hope they're able to renegotiate down the line.

• Orion

Once Netflix's newest venture fails, I'm sure they'll be ready to return to the table and negotiate like grown-ups.

• En3ermost
    En3ermost Member Posts: 298

I'm speechless. This is awful. Worst thing that happened to this game by a ######### mile. Now I feel like no Licence character is truly safe.

• LordRegal
    LordRegal Member Posts: 1,549

I brought up old Freddy in my response though - it's a very different thing than what we have now. Freddy Krueger is still in the game. A big NoES fan can, on November 18th, discover DbD and see Freddy Krueger in the game, and buy and play him. A Stranger Things fan who discovers DbD on November 18th cannot do the same with their franchise. That's the difference I'm seeing.

Reworks of characters are a reality in any game, and while some may prefer the old style of character that doesn't remove the character from the game for future people. Old Freddy was unique and fun, but Freddy Krueger is still going to be purchasable for a new player on November 18th. Stranger Things isn't. That is the difference I'm seeing and why I am conceptually ok with how Old Freddy is gone and why I am not ok with ST being lost to time.