The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Is playing stealthy wrong?

Comments

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    edited August 2021

Intentionally helping or not helping the Killer does not hinge on what choices the Killer does or doesn't make. It hinges on the intent of the Survivor making the decision to intentionally help the Killer.

• TAG

Intentionally wasting pallets is a reportable offense.

• TAG
    edited August 2021

Intentionally dropping pallets to get a Killer to eventually come to you is a reportable offense because that constitutes wasting pallets, regardless of whether or not you have Any Means Necessary.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267

A lot of killer only don't like stealthy survivors since they tend to be the gen doers. The blue hair fengs and pink hair neas tend to just want to get chased and not do gens. And as we all know the gen doers are the key for them to escape.

• KajdanKi
    KajdanKi Member Posts: 219

Stealth survivor does not contribute much for the team. Except for doibg gens and yet, they mostly run away as soon as they hear heartbeat to make sure they are not the one who killer chooses to chase.

Furthermore, sometimes it is needed to take a hit for the team. When they see killer is chasibg yet again survivor who has been already hooked twice they never try to distract a killer.

99% of stealth players are the one with 0 hook states, playong for a hatch only and mostly they end up hooked anyway just for free at the end.

Its ofc not the end of the story but i dont want to make a book out of it.

When I see stealth player = no help from me for no cobtribytion for the team.

• TAG

You didn't do a good job of demonstrating that, so I continue to heavily disagree.

And as for the second scenario you listed, if the Killer is chasing you to down you, it doesn't matter if the other person is waiting for Hatch because the game is still moving to its natural conclusion. If the one being chased is intentionally leading them to another Survivor, then they are trying to work with the Killer, which is a reportable offense.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152

As long as you're being useful and if you get into a chase you're not leading killer to teammates I'm fine with stealth play. It's when players are just hiding in a corner and if found lead killer to teammates so they can go back to hiding in corner I have a problem. If you're going for unhooks run we'll make it so you can atleast quickly heal the teammate you just unhooked so if they run into killer again they're atleast at full health.

• OddProvidence
    OddProvidence Member Posts: 45

If your team mates are on death hook and you haven’t even been seen by the killer yet you are definitely hurting your team. I don’t care that you just do gens and sneak away after unhooks for the killer to tunnel the other survivor, if the killers aggro isn’t on you then it’s on the other survivors and you are using them as pawns. You can’t play this game efficiently if you’re so immersed that the killer has literally never seen you in the whole game I’m sorry.

• TAG
    edited August 2021

And they were poor examples.

Three minutes is not a long time. Slugging to death takes longer, and that's not reportable. If the chase went on for a full 15-20 minutes, you might have a point, but that isn't really feasible. So no, that isn't a very good example either.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445
    edited August 2021

There's nothing wrong with playing stealthy. In fact, it can be one of the most powerful tools Survivors have access to. After all, at the most extreme edge of things... if the Killer is searching for somebody who's not there anymore, you get all the benefits of someone being in chase and eating the Killer's time with none of the risk.

However, it can also blow up in your face. There's the obvious issue of continuing to hide when the Killer knows where you are and you give him a free hit/down. There's also the less obvious issue of how many hook states the Killer needs to get before a kill. If the Killer is perfectly spreading hook states, his first kill will happen on the 9th hook. If you're hiding well enough to never get found but he can find the other 3, his first kill will happen on the 7th. That's significantly earlier, and a 3v1 is really really hard to win for the Survivors.

So in short, know when it is time to stealth and time to be the distraction.

• TAG

I want the game to come to a close without breaking the rules.

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989

Slow and stealthy gets all four survivors out safely. Be mindful when someone is in chase and the gens will get done.

• TAG
  • TAG

And gaining that favor by working with the Killer at another Survivor's expense is a reportable offense.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

Urban evasion users make me want to dc.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

Stealth can be annoying to play against as killer but it's not a "bad" playstyle. As long as you're not deliberately ruining other people's games then play however you want.

• TAG

The unhooker does not have an obligation to stick around for the unhooked Survivor. The chaser does have an obligation to not intentionally lead the Killer to another Survivor to screw them over.

• MintberryCrunch
    MintberryCrunch Member Posts: 67

This whole topic kind of sums up one of the things I find frustrating about the community; it's like people are playing different games, pro loopers and aggressive players complain if anyone doesn't get in the killer's face, they've forgotten what it's like for newer players who are more freaked out and need to hide more.

Whilst sometimes just urban evasioning towards a hook is enough for them to decide you are terrible and they die on the hook.

I really love losing the killer during a chase with some stealthy trick moves. Also when unhooking I find it very situational, sometimes you need to run together and get some distance before healing, whilst the majority seem to prefer to insta heal under the hook then both take off as the killer arrives. Other times you and the unhooked can easily stealth away together and start the healing whilst the killer searches in vain around the hook.

Anyway I know there's plenty of reasons that the community is so split but it seems the more time you have under your belt the less you play it like a horror survival and the more you play it like a looping action game.

• TAG

There is no hypocrisy. Leaving someone to fend for themself isn't the same thing as intentionally screwing them over.

• TAG

It doesn't matter if the Survivor has to fend for themself or not because bringing the Killer to them intentionally is breaking the rules.

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

When playing stealthy you don't use your two hook states. Maybe someone dies because of it.

Also when you unhook someone and the killer is around but you stealth away, you often did more harm than good.

• Soulpaw
    Soulpaw Member Posts: 290

I think playing stealthy is a completely valid tactic but the issue that im sure survivors see is the lack of help. Stealthy builds aren't liked by survivors because it's inherently selfish in the sense of not taking aggro for the team. If everyone is on death hook and your the only one who hasn't been hooked, people expect you to take aggro because you won't die from it if everything goes well. Another issue is that you might not be helping with saves and that's probably why some people say your not helping cause they have yet to see you go for a save.

I like being stealthy, don't get me wrong. But it's a selfish playstyle if you Stealth the entire game. You can continue to play this way, its not a bannable action nor is it discouraged by the game, play how you wanna play. Just don't expect praise for not helping the team via stalling the killer or going for saves.

• TAG

That's why people reading the reports use their judgment to determine something legit vs. a false report. And why they generally ask for video evidence on top of that to aid their judgment call.

• InsatiableMop
    InsatiableMop Member Posts: 325

yes in that it gives the rest of your team much less room to breathe and will cause you do be in a 3v1 or 2v1 very quickly because you never used your hook budget to prolong the game. Killer DGAF if they never see one person all game, one less person to hook.

• TAG

The only scenario off the top of my head is if the Survivor is intentionally guiding someone toward someone waiting to ambush the Killer with Head-On.

• TAG
    edited August 2021
  • TAG

Sort of. Certain instances of inaction can be reportable under certain conditions, but in the scenario you are posing, it's all good until the Survivor intentionally brings the Killer to their teammate.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

So long stealthy counts as productive instead of immersive. I prefer to stay hidden as my awareness and understanding are better than my ability to loop and win chases. Gens come first and providing 2 or 3 get done, only then will I consider coming to take some heat off of the survivors being chased/tunneled.

• GlamourousLeviathan
    GlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 981

Honestly, as a killer main, a survivor that plays stealthy and just rush around tapping gens is much more threatening than a survivor who bodyblocks, plays altruistic and tries to loop.

• TAG

It is true that only one will have the luxury of entertaining it, but that to me is not an excuse for intentionally screwing over a teammate who is playing by the rules.

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378

It's only an issue if you're stealthing around and not doing gens, looking for Totems, never going for a unhook rescue and refusing to take protection hits to buy a injured/unhooked Survivor some time. Even if you're just doing Gens and you notice the Killer is chasing someone, while someone else is on the hook (unless the Killer isn't leaving the Hooked person) and you refuse to go for the unhook...then I'd say it's an issue.

Stealthy play is fine, I've done it a fair bit, but there comes a time when you should break stealth to help teammates. I've had so many games as Killer where teammates just don't help each other, with 1 or even 2 that just hid all the time, and I'd keep finding the same Survivors and they'd get eliminated early and the match would get thrown to me on a silver platter.

Just have good judgment on when it's good and when it's bad to be "immersed "

• TAG

This is not one of those cases where inaction is reportable because the Survivor isn't hurting the other Survivor's ability to be chased.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

A survivors job is to escape the trial. Whether it be stealth or shaking that bunny booty in the killers face, an escape is an escape.

• Red_Beard
    Red_Beard Member Posts: 550

It is not considered working with the killer if I am being chased and I intentionally run the killer to another survivor in hopes the killer will target them. You can disagree, but it has been confirmed by the moderators in similar threads BHVR does not consider that punishable.

If the killer has opportunity to kill a survivor but doesn’t and with unvoiced communication they agree to lead the killer to the other survivor, that is considered working with the killer.

It doesn’t matter for either of those what state the game is in whether it be all gens still up or only 2 survivors left trying to get hatch.

• TAG

I'm not talking about when the Survivor is being chased, sees another Survivor, and then thinks "I'll move in that direction so I might be able to shake the Killer off my tail." I'm talking about when the Survivor sees the Killer and thinks "I'll intentionally roam around the map hunting for that Survivor so I can bring the Killer to them and get them killed."

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

It's the least efficient style of play, if that's what you're asking about.

• Red_Beard

If you are trying to claim targeted harassment or sandbagging by another survivor it would need to be that same survivor doing it over multiple matches to prove to BHVR they were specifically targeting you. Which means you will most likely need to submit video proof of those matches to prove it.

If the killer is just chasing the survivor and not collaborating with the survivor even though the survivor is trying to intentionally lead the killer to you, that is still not working with the killer. The killer is just doing what they are supposed to be doing and if you end up being the easier target has every right to switch to you.

• TAG

In that scenario, I'd say the Survivor is liable to get in trouble but not the Killer.

• lav3
    lav3 Member Posts: 758

Not wrong at all whether you play stealthy or brave.

But it will matter when it seems like you need to act opposite.

Like not being afraid to get hit by killer to protect teammate.

Or going for save when you are the only person not hooked and others are on death hook.

That's all I think.

• TAG

I'm not convinced the chase would go on long enough for that to actually be a problem. It'd probably have to go on for as long as the entirety of the match up to that point, which I don't think is reasonable.

• Red_Beard

Moderators have confirmed to prove targeted harassment it has to happen over multiple trials. Unless the survivor player stated in end game chat they were trying to get you killed because they didn’t like you for some reason.

• TAG

Yes, I am aware that it is not easy to get a successful report in because proof of intent is not the easiest thing to obtain (though I have done it at least once, FWIW).

• Vash
    Vash Member Posts: 19

If you are crouch walking around and hiding when you hear the terror radius you are doing it wrong. Always be doing something if it's gens, chase, totems, unhooking. Never just be running around or crouch walking.