Is the basement outdated ?

Options

This isnt a complaint just wondered what people think. With a handful of killers that can just make it impossible to save in the basement and any killer can at least get a trade if anyone goes for unhooks is the basement good for DBD?

Also as killer some times you just wanna hook and go and if basement is the only hooks around that wastes a lot of time

Comments

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,986
    Options

What does "outdated" mean here?

One of the most effective basement camping killers is the Trapper, the very first killer in DBD. So it's precisely as in/out of date as it was when DBD launched.

I do think the basement could do with some upgrades though, some variants in layout (like how the RPD basement can be a different layout) and perhaps on some stronger maps you could have a basement with two exits (like how Dead Dawg's killer shack has a breakable wall to remove the shack loop).

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 1,961
    Options

Basement camping Bubba is the only way to counter SWF, so no, it should stay.

• lav3
    lav3 Member Posts: 758
    Options

I don't think so. Hope devs change graphics of basement.

• NoTerrorRadius
    NoTerrorRadius Member Posts: 201
    Options

I would love to see that. Skis and snowboards in the basement at Ormond, etc.

• PNgamer
    PNgamer Member Posts: 1,415
    Options

yes the basement is outdated and need a rework

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

Yeah perhaps some of them could be freshened up. I still like the basements a lot, very atmospheric.

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419
    Options

The basement needs to be more romantic

• ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal Member Posts: 326
    Options

How many people actually defend the basement? Most survivors bring their own gear in a lot of matches so you'd mostly be wasting time trying to defend it.

• DeliciousFood
    DeliciousFood Member Posts: 464
    Options

Basement encourages camping, especially on certain killers. The less camping there is, the better this game will be. The more this disappoints, the better.

I think it should be traded for something. More choke point hooks for instance, similar to the hill hooks but not as atrocious to access. More hooks in dead zones that are risky to go for if the killer is nearby but camping isn't as free since survivors can employ more than one angle to save. While basement is just one way in, one way out, boring. It worked when the roster was ######### and the balance was beyond bad, now I think something fresh that better fits the current roster would be better.

Also doesn't mean basement needs to go entirely, but reworking it to make it less awful would be nice. Still powerful, but not a game ender.

• MyNamePete
    MyNamePete Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

Basement is not outdated, it is exactly what its been since release and it has and probably will always stay that way.

It is a room with unbreakable hooks, that has a 1-way entrance/exit that takes some time to walk past. That's its main purpose.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108
    Options

Imo basement could have a few changes, each map could have a slightly different basement layout, like rpd, also survivors in basement could suffer from oblivious

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn
    FrndlyChnswSalzmn Member Posts: 705
    Options

My build disagrees. I run Hoarder and Territorial Imperative on Nemesis a LOT and both give me basement notifs several times a game. I've even found people hiding down there, using it as a 'headquarters' more than once to hide all their items in a corner and avoid Franklins.

• Rutgrr
    Rutgrr Member Posts: 16
    Options

Basement is fine as is.

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093
    Options

As someone who, when they play survivor, seems to be inevitably drawn to going down near the basement and hooked there ... it's perfectly fine.

As others have pointed out, it's supposed to be a dangerous area to avoid, There are numerous tiles on the map that the killer needs to avoid if possible because of their strength -- the basement is the guaranteed area that works as the opposite (and that can even be a contradiction, as if it's in the killer shack, the shack tile itself can be a very strong area for a survivor).

It's fine. The only thing that should be changed is the aesthetic, making each basement more "unique" for the corresponding map. But gameplay wise, there's no pressing reason to change it.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,095
    Options

It’s not common anymore, probably due to players leaving, but it did happen. Basically, a cute Bubbi will sit in the basement with Insidious for the whole match. Survivors would do all the gens and want to get more points and search for the killer. They’d eventually go to the basement and find cutie pie Bubbi standing guard, protecting his chest.

The fun starts when the survivors try and distract him and have their teammates try and open it. It’s a lot of cat and mouse, kind of like trying to rescue a hooked teammate from a camping killer, only, instead of a teammate, it’s the chest. Usually, Bubbi doesn’t hook anyone as long as the item is still in the chest, giving the survivors a chance to reset and go for another attempt.

It was a nice way to play chill and break up the monotony of the game. It’s a shame it’s not as popular.

• GingerBeard
    GingerBeard Member Posts: 271
    Options

I would like to see some changes made to spice it up somewhat.

Unique looks and layouts, either based on the map or randomly chosen from a list, would be spicy.

There was the cool idea a forum member had of having five lit candles in the basement, where a candle would go out each time a totem was cleansed.

I also had an idea where survivors can go into the basement to interact with a shrine, after doing something to unlock it first, to gain BP.

• sleepy_knight
    sleepy_knight Member Posts: 112
    Options

My only issue is that all basements except for one look the same. A visual rework for each to make them map specific would be awesome.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,779
    Options

Hags, Trappers and Bubbas would not be inclined to agree lol.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options
  • Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Options

Its intended to be a trade off for insanely powerful loops that it always spawns by.

Using Shack as an example: Survivors get an insanely strong window and a god pallet at the cost of if they go down they go into the basement and potentially never leaving it.