Tampered Timer: Yay or nay nay I say

Options
ukenicky
ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

Do you all think Tampered Timer is fine in its current state? Do you think it's healthy?

I really want to see Pig get an add-on pass where the majority of her add-ons get made to be consistently better and more useful and maybe tone Tampered Timer down a smidge because it feels bad imo when you do fall victim to it.

Idk, I wanna hear other people's opinions on it. Like on one hand I personally love it because [SPOILERS] it feels like a proper nod to Amanda's unwinnable traps in Saw but even then it is still inconsistent and there's always a chance you can just get it off on box 1.

Discuss away, I wanna hear both sides opinions (I play both sides and main Pig primarily)!

Comments

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,347
    Options

I have more of an issue with Crate and Bag of Gears

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,253
    edited August 2021
    Options

While I think the addon itself is strong its very situational and the timing on the survivors side can completely mitigate its effects, its hard for them to actually know if its in play or not to make the right moves, so the only change I would propose to it is that survivors should know their trap has tampered timer

• DarkMagik
    DarkMagik Member Posts: 822
    Options

It should have a Down-Side,probably minus 1 Trap

• ukenicky
    Options

I like this idea! Idk if it would make it any more possible to escape from said RBT but I guess some forewarning might help?

Agreed. Well to an extent. I personally like her base kit I think with some minor buffs to it she'd be golden. I wasn't around for it but I heard that she used to have a 24m Terror Radius originally and I'd love to have that back to pair with Monitor and Abuse (Bcuz I'm evil like that). Other than that I feel like making her default Crouch / uncrouch a little faster would help a lot.

Not sure how RBTs could be changed overall to be more consistent. I've heard some people say make every RBT so that nobody can EVER get it off on their very first attempt but that seems a bit scary lol I'm not sure how I like that idea.

Personally the traps are one of my favorite things about her. I really appreciate the built in slowdown as it allows me to play the game more and get more experience looping etc etc I'm not crazy about getting actual kills with the traps. Most of my kills from them tend to come from a well timed trap on the last gen (I run Tinkerer and it's a godsend for this).

I swear an active RBT after the last gen pops is terrifying lol

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,253
    Options

Well the forewarning tells the survivor so they would know if they have time to heal while active or while inactive that they should prioritize boxes which can help them make the right choices and have a better survivability while dealing with tampered timer

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333
    Options

Tampered Timer only makes a 2:30 timer drop the additional 30s off. It's one of the better add-ons she has, but it isn't over powered by any means. Most of her add-ons pretty ok they have tangle if a little lackluster effects on the game and gives her just enough build variety to not be completely outta luck if she doesn't have the best in slot combo

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,179
    Options

I just don't like it because of Pig's RNG nature. If I'm going to use add ons for the trap, it's always double gears. 17 seconds (if I remember correctly) is pretty crazy, especially if you're unlucky enough to have to search a box near the killer and it's touch and go.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 3,997
    Options

Tampered timer I have no problem with. It's that other add-on I dislike

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,851
    Options

As a survivor main (I feel like I always need to preface with this now to show no bias), TT is fine. I hate to go against it, cause usually I’m a pig magnet who gets downed first or second, but it adds variety to the game. Pig is not popular any more, and the few I do run into nowadays don’t usually run it. When it does happen however, I just chalk it up to bad luck and move on to the next match.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452
    Options

I'm totally against addons that make traps more likely to pop. These are just unhealthy as they can give the other side free wins just for using addons. Imo Pig should have a rework to make her traps less oppressive and RNG based, but buffing her stealth and chase in compensation.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    edited August 2021
    Options

Either it does nothing at all or it outright kills a player with no in-between. That is not the sign of a healthy add-on. That said, I am 1000% not above using it because I love me my Trap kills.

This game is no stranger to addons that can carry matches. Iridescent Head and Soldiers Belt, for example.

Worth pointing out that the example you're bringing up does not exist anymore, as Irihead was specifically nerfed to not function with either of the add-ons that give extra hatchets.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195
    Options

I wish Pig had more combat add-ons to choose from.

• Massquwatt
    Massquwatt Member Posts: 368
    Options

Eh yay. While it's nice getting head pops with it I wouldn't say it's totally reliable. Just like the rest of pig's RBT's it all comes down to luck mostly. By the time the hat activates some people will already be half way searching through their boxes, sometimes it'll kill them because they didn't have the time that they otherwise would have. Maybe when Pig gets her power reworked tampered timer will get changed but as it currently stands I don't really have a problem with it just because the extreme rng nature of her power helps keep it in check.

• Rezblaze
    Rezblaze Member Posts: 843
    Options

I disagree with the above statement.

It is not a sign of an unhealthy add-on, it is the sign of an unhealthy power.

The Pig's power is entirely RNG based. The timer isn't what kills people, its the RNG of the power along with the timer.

Nerfing Tampered Timer I don't think is the good decision here. Rather the Pig needs some tweaks to how her power works. They made it a bit more consistent but it hasn't completely nullified the fact that you're essentially guessing until you find the right box.

• TAG
    Options

The solution isn't to nerf Tampered Timer IMO. The solution is to re-work it entitely.

• Rezblaze
    Options

I would much rather change the power itself into something more consistent and fun to interact with.

• TAG
    Options

I think the base kit power is fine from an interactive standpoint and can even stand to be buffed a bit.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Yay because it fits amanda

Nay because it does not take in to account a lot of things, notably map design. Have you seen pig with certain add ons on RPD? Neither have i but i am very scared of it

• ukenicky
    Options

Which other add-on?

Absolutely. Basically any large map is very scary with RBTs, and with Tampered Timer and bad luck added to the mix it can be literally impossible to search all 4 or 5 boxes in time x.x

Even a normal sized map like Midwich can be awful because of having to traverse the long halls and go up and down floors as well. I think box placement has a lot to do with it.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,158
    Options

Yeah it's not okay, especially when certain people abuse it by combining it with the other addons + map offerings

Same people who complain when survivors burn coldwind every match. Hypocrites

• Rezblaze
    Options

If the base kit is buffed in some way I would be okay with a Tampered Timer nerf or rework.

Poor Pig has seen way too many nerfs for no good reason.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,179
    Options

If there's one thing I deeply miss, it's her old custom 28 meter terror radius.

• Inspire
    Inspire Member Posts: 123
    Options

They should just rework Pig's power entirely. A power thats heavily reliant on RNG isn't okay.

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495
    Options

Oh? I'm surprised you dislike that. I love using crate and sack

• TacitusKilgore
    TacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,380
    edited August 2021
    Options

Tampered timer is mostly fine i think, i've never actually died to it UNLESS the pig was running crate of gears. I think tampered timer should trump all other addons, and prevent any form of box searching slowdown. If the pig brings a map offering, you're probably gonna die anyways even without timer. 30 seconds is not a lot of extra time if the pig is super toxic about it.

• SaltyNooty
    SaltyNooty Member Posts: 275
    Options

Yeah, it's not okay in the slightest. It's a cheap kill and RNG aint funny on either sides, not even when it works. I'd say with the tamper timer, it makes it so she can only place 2 RBT's on survivors or one since it's pretty easy for Amanda to double back and mess with a survivor while they're trying to get that thing off their mouth.

Amanda, as a whole get's treated like a joke and so, does her power the only redeeming quality about it is her perks which can help her apply pressure on survivors who save and gen-rush. Other then that Tampered Timer is the only thing that really saves her if we ignore the fact of crouching and lunging mid-chase.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options
  • PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989
    edited August 2021
    Options

I've never been killed by an RBT, so Id say tampered timer is probably fine. Nerfing pig is a kind of a pastime of BHVR, she doesn't need that kind of abuse anymore.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,117
    Options

People take them seriously, because they will rush to get rid of it. The problem is the full RNG nature of the threat. Clearing the trap on box four feels bad for the survivor. Clearing it on box one is trash for Amanda.

And dying before you can get to box five is the cheapest death you can get outside a hook 1 facecamp.

It should always take two or three, bumped up to three or four with the 'plus one box' add-on.

And tampered timer needs to be removed.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

Keep it

I don't mind occasionally getting screwed by occasionally strong add-ons. Frankly, I'm more likely to be killed by dumbass teammates then a powerful add-on from the killer anyway.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
    edited August 2021
    Options

Now I like tampered timer by itself however I will admit as long as it has the capabilities of being combined with crate of gears or jigsaw sketch it is always going to be cheap because it practically guarantees a head pop on certain maps.

As long as that combination possibility exists Tampered Timer is going to have to change

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    Options

Passive Timer and Active Timer would fix Tampered Timer, if you know, you know.

• ouroboros_world
    ouroboros_world Member Posts: 215
    Options

since pig rbt is unfun and overpowered we should “rework” them to always be removed at the first box and pig now become permanently stun after a rbt is removed so survivors don’t have to try lul

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

When they buff her chase, they can even delete Tempered timer, who cares about RNG shitshow anyway

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

Yes it is but that doesn’t make it any less fair. You shouldn’t die because you got unlucky despite spending all of the timer searching boxes. The survivor can’t play the situation any better they just have to hope they get lucky

• Fobbo
    Fobbo Member Posts: 452
    Options

I think the problem is rng

• WexlerWendigo
    WexlerWendigo Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

It’s a really badly designed add on. Tampered timer + extra box to search makes it impossible to search all boxes, which is really dumb.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911
    Options

Not really a saw killer tbh. Whilst I understand your perspective I do think pigs does not live up to her theme as a jigsaw based killer.

Her traps should be the defining aspect of her kit. Stealth is often a side note to a lot of killers strengths with there power carrying a unique way to enhance the experiance.

If pigs trap got even further nerfed only to improve her dash then she would feel even less unqiue. I dont think we would see an overhaul for pig given how slow content is released. But I would ask people to consider the fact she is based off of the saw license not the halloween or scream franchises.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911
    Options

90% of the unfair trap situations emerge because of terrible map design. If a pig on midwich set a trap on you and you have to navigate the map using archaic routes and cross large distances that isnt the pig's fault thats just trash map design.

Imagine if you got rpd with pig and the boxes were evenly spread out across the map even without tampered or crate of gears you can lose to rng. We keep saying maps are to big and the minute a ppwer which is known to be very underwhelming on smaller maps is an issue we suddenly say "better nerf pig".

• Adeloo
    Adeloo Member Posts: 1,448
    Options

I faced a Pig that had a really long box search time yesterday. I know it's not Temper Timer but let me explain :

She sent us on Midwich. I was the first to get a trap and my team activated it so i ran to the first box i could find (luckily pretty close to me) it wasn't it. By the time i'm running for the second one, the Pig is chasing me in the opposite direction of the others boxes, then dropp chase to make me waste time running back. I was super lucky and got it off my third try at 1 sec remaining.

This is without Temper Timer, so i can easily imagine i was dead before i could even try the second box if she brought it. This is not ok. She already got tons of pressure with her traps because i forced myself to 99 the gens i could find (i was basically the only one doing gens)

A survivor should be dead because the killer brings an addon or two, especially if the killer doesn't "work" for it (by that i mean it's not Tombstone level which actually require more than down + trap = dead)

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452
    Options

I mean, Pyramid Head in the games isn't a buffed up guy who hits you through walls and sends you to cages. Freddy's power also barely has anything to do with the movies. I don't think being faithful to the source material is that important.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

I feel base the timer needs to be decreased and the addon less severe.

There needs to be more incentive to not pop gens when a person has a trap on their head.

I feel it should be difficult at base to remove a trap if is instantly active. Right now you can just pop gens whenever you like and the rbt person can generally get it off.

That's why the addon seems bad cause it's only then that instantly popping gens gets punished.

If survivors learn that completing gens before the trapped survivor had some time to search some boxes will always be dangerous then this addon isn't that bad.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

Bad example since Iri Head + Belt got nerfed. I totally agree with you though. Until Pig gets a buff or rework, Tampered Timer is totally fine.