The Rift Pass Is Pretty Bad

Options
thefallenloser
thefallenloser Member Posts: 1,256
edited September 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

Since maybe Rift 2 or 3, each subsequent Rift Pass has felt like a notable downgrade in terms of the quality of the rewards. The two main culprits for this crime? Recolors and charms. Let's talk about the latter first.

80% of the Charms are Bad

Charms were a neat little gimmick addition until 50% of the Rift Pass rewards became recolors of the same 3 charms. These charms not only look visually uninteresting for the most part (specifically the generic box image charms), but they populate far too much of the pass and are straight-up visually inferior to the more complex charms. If we get any charms, these should be the ones. Stop making flat, box image charms with basically no physics or any interesting visual design (the Pride flag wasn't even cloth!), and give us more of these fully modeled, detailed charms, and reduce the amount of charms that populate the Rift overall. Yes, I do notice while I'm playing!

Recolors are Boring

This one isn't as egregious (though we all remember the default Billy pants), but I still don't like an entire 1 or 2 outfit sets just being recolors of something I already have. It makes me want to not buy the Rift. Just get rid of these, we can get the recolors in the shop.

What Should Be In the Rift?

Hmm... where do I start...?

• Cosmetic Killer Powers (color change, model swap, etc.)
  • Custom Perk Icons (these can be made by players!)
  • Survivor Emotes (point and come here are dead, emotes are cool)
  • New Mori Animations (this can be one or two per Rift, but would be an amazing addition)

And those are just what I thought of in 5 seconds.

In short, the Rift Pass is becoming bored, but has so much potential. Don't let it go to waste!

Comments

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,925
    edited September 2021
    Options

Those ideas are great as new customisation options in general, let alone Rift rewards.

But until we get things like that, cosmetics, whether recolours or otherwise, are absolutely fine. The weak parts of the Rift have always been the various recolours of the same basic charms (no one is ever going to equip the 'ash', 'bronze' or 'silver' versions of those) and the huge empty spaces on the upper 'free' track.

What I would change:

• All of the 'ash', 'bronze' or 'silver' charms would be replaced with: 100/150/200 Iridescent Shards, 10,000/15,000/20,000 Bloodpoints, or additional cosmetic rewards where there's scope for them.
    • At least half of the empty spaces on the upper track would be filled with; 50/100 Iridescent Shards, 5,000 Bloodpoints.

But if they add new customisation options like killer power cosmetics, emotes, or Mori animations, then a few of them would also be great additions.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    edited September 2021
    Options

I like tower charms because of the blue light they emit. I wish we get more flashy stuff that can actually be seen.

I agree about the recolors altough I like free nea one rn because I don't own the originals. Recolors can be fine once in a while but not too often.

When it comes to overal quality of the cosmetics I agree that it got worse. Rift 2 and 3 were probably my fav.

Also I love some of the ideas for the new content you mentioned. It would be cool.