Hook Blocking

Options
In most games I play (I almost always play as killer) one or two survivors block the hook by crouching in front of it. Did the devs intetionally make that a viable option? It’s so cheap and infuriating (especially when I don’t run iron grasp).

Best Answers

Answers

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Yes, body blocking is an intentional aspect of the game. It can be extremely frustrating especially when you get 3 full health Survivors blocking you. They even get points for blocking and getting hit called "Protection."

All you can do is just smack them out of the way run Iron Grasp to give yourself more time, or Agitation to get to a hook quicker.

Some people have suggested making Agitation oneshot while carrying a Survivor. Personally, I think this would be a nutty and hilarious change.
  • SadonicShadow
    SadonicShadow Member Posts: 1,146
    Options

@weirdkid5 said:
    Yes, body blocking is an intentional aspect of the game. It can be extremely frustrating especially when you get 3 full health Survivors blocking you. They even get points for blocking and getting hit called "Protection."

All you can do is just smack them out of the way run Iron Grasp to give yourself more time, or Agitation to get to a hook quicker.

Some people have suggested making Agitation oneshot while carrying a Survivor. Personally, I think this would be a nutty and hilarious change.

Oh god that would be awesome. Would for sure make people think twice about body blocking for their buddy. I can just picture a killer chasing someone around with a survivor on their back trying to get that sweet instadown.

• Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095
    Options

Yes, it's a feature.
    It actually give you altruism emblems, points, and WGLF stacks doing so, even.
    It's actually rather balanced tho, since it asks for quite the commitment for survivors to do so.
    One of the big issue is just the fact that Self-care usually trivialize the fact you get wounded in this game tho.

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068
    Options

One solution would be if it's more than 1 survivor you get an increased chance of downing them in 1 hit. So 1 person you have 25% chance, 2 50% and 3 75% chance to insta down them. That'd make blocking much more strategic than it currently is. This would be especially true against SWF groups.

to make it even more interesting but also completely broken if you down them they're marked for x minutes with the exposed effect, but only if you down them while carrying a hooked survivor. This wouldn't stack with exposed effect ie Shape.

Now if you want to make it completely busted and guaranteed of a nerf within hours of it going live then do the following in addition. If you're downed with the exposed effect from this and not the other than it stacks so if you get downed a 2nd time with this particular exposed effect while still under the 1st stack then if you get hooked a 2nd time the Entity is automatically summoned to sacrifice you.

For some completely op no way this would ever make it out of PTB but would still be funny as heck you could add the following. If you get a 3rd stack and are downed but are hooked for the 1st time the entity is automatically summoned to sacrifice you.

• powerbats
    Options

@RemoveSWF said:

@powerbats said:
    One solution would be if it's more than 1 survivor you get an increased chance of downing them in 1 hit. So 1 person you have 25% chance, 2 50% and 3 75% chance to insta down them. That'd make blocking much more strategic than it currently is. This would be especially true against SWF groups.

Overly complicated.

One guy above had the perfect solution - Make it a perk. You down survivors in one hit when you're carrying another survivor. It needs to be a separate perk because Agitation is already strong enough.

It wouldn't be OP because after the first time, they'd just stop doing it. Even though they'd stop doing it, your perk would still be useful because you'd be able to get people to the hook quicker.

Would you add a 5th perk slot for really high ranks aka 1-5/SWF groups for this or just overall ? But perhaps as I said make it so it has a chance based upon how many are there. It'd be a 5th perk usable only in that slot (might be stupid idea and prob is). It'd have the 25/50/75% insta down in 1 hit which would keep it from being op.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Devs removed hook blocking for killers, but hook blocking by survivors is fine.
    Apparently survivors fun is more important than killers fun.

• Runiver
    Options

@Tsulan said:

Was it truly fun to stand in front of a hook for 2mins to block the prompt tho ?

• Tsulan
    Options

@Runiver said:

@Tsulan said:

Was it truly fun to stand in front of a hook for 2mins to block the prompt tho ?

Touché
    No it wasn´t. But it was the only secure way to deal with toxic survivors.

For me body blocking shouldn´t be a thing at all. A 50kg Claudette can body block a running 150kg Clown?

• Bethany
    Bethany Member Posts: 30
    Options

Well killers are allowed to tunnel and camp survivors. So it's just fair that survivors can do some bodyblocking in that case to avoid that their mates get hooked. This actually just works if the mates are nearby.And if that's the case you still have the option to strike them down. If they don't want be hit twice they'll have to go and the hook is free :)

• Runiver
    Options

@Tsulan said:

@Runiver said:

@Tsulan said:

Touché

For me body blocking shouldn´t be a thing at all. A 50kg Claudette can body block a running 150kg Clown?

I don't think realism is a good argument for mecanisms. In that case, most situations in this game would be sorta un-realistic. I get your logic tho.

The main issue with bodyblocking isn't that it exists, it's just that its impact can be heavily trivialized with the use of perks or items such as insta-heals, medkits or self-care. It still asks for some commitment, which usually means less repairs, tho it can become overly strong in some situations indeed. (Aka needing only 1 bodyblocker not to get your hook as killer)

• Tsulan
    Options

@Bethany said:
    Well killers are allowed to tunnel and camp survivors. So it's just fair that survivors can do some bodyblocking in that case to avoid that their mates get hooked. This actually just works if the mates are nearby.And if that's the case you still have the option to strike them down. If they don't want be hit twice they'll have to go and the hook is free :)

Nice theory, but it fails if there´s more than 1 survivor blocking the hook.

Also, tunnel is a made up word for the killer going for the easiest prey.
    If you see a gen which is 90% done and a gen with 0 progress, which would you do?

• Runiver
    Options

@RemoveSWF said:

@Runiver said:

@Tsulan said:

More fun than getting pallet looped, hook swarmed and flashlighted constantly.

You get these 3 whenever you camp or not.
    If you really can't handle these matter, maybe killer isn't for you, because it seems like devs are not ready to change these anytime soon and don't realize the killer's frustrations just yet.

• Tsulan
    Options

@Runiver said:

@Tsulan said:

@Runiver said:

@Tsulan said:

Touché

I don't think realism is a good argument for mecanisms. In that case, most situations in this game would be sorta un-realistic. I get your logic tho.

The main issue with bodyblocking isn't that it exists, it's just that its impact can be heavily trivialized with the use of perks or items such as insta-heals, medkits or self-care. It still asks for some commitment, which usually means less repairs, tho it can become overly strong in some situations indeed. (Aka needing only 1 bodyblocker not to get your hook as killer)

The problem is not only the hook. Once the gates are open, the survivors block the killer, so het can´t down the injured survivor. Since they get a speed burst, they can easily take rounds at protecting the injured.

There´s not really much the killer can do.

• Tsulan
    Options

@RemoveSWF said:

@Tsulan said:
    Also, tunnel is a made up word for the killer going for the easiest prey.

Aren't all words technically "made up words"?

According to the Urban Dictionary:

Tunnel
    to inhale a lit roach clip through the anus
    "Is he tunneling that joint?" "No, it's a cigarette."

"I''ll tunnel it if you tunnel it." "BUT WE ONLY HAVE ONE CLIP!!" "So, i'll tunnel it, pop it out after like a minute, then you tunnel it." "Every time we do this, your ######### goes everywhere, and I'm the one who has to tunnel the mess!"

"Dude, i havent stopped shitting blood since I tunneled that blunt."" "Yeah, that was awesome."

• theagitatedapricot
    theagitatedapricot Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Agitation is strong enough as it is. If one shots while carrying was its own perk I'd be fine with it, possibly.
  • Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,737
    Options

If killers can camp, survivors can body block. Only survivors gets points for it :chuffed:

• deadwolfwalking
    deadwolfwalking Member Posts: 624
    Options

@Dwight_Fairfield said:
    If killers can camp, survivors can body block. Only survivors gets points for it :chuffed:

i'm a killer main and i agree with you 100%. hook blocking is just as much a strategy as camping. its lazy playing on both sides as far as i'm concerned.... but nonetheless shouldn't be tampered or adjusted....

• mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891
    Options

@Tsulan said:
    The problem is not only the hook. Once the gates are open, the survivors block the killer, so het can´t down the injured survivor. Since they get a speed burst, they can easily take rounds at protecting the injured.

Yeah, damn those people working as a team in a 4 vs 1 game.

• deadwolfwalking
    deadwolfwalking Member Posts: 624
    Options

as for 'tunneling' being a made up word - its a derivative of tunnel-vision. because the killer is focused more on one player than preventing others from completing objectives....

• Justice
    Justice Member Posts: 60
    Options

I think the way the devs ee it is it's risk reward. Risk taking a hit and becoming injured to possibly get your buddy off the grasp. However as long as Self care exists it will never be risky as it should be. Iron Grasp should just be buffed with a one hit down feature, as buffing it with Agitation would be out of control overpowered.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    Options

@megaweenieman said:
    In most games I play (I almost always play as killer) one or two survivors block the hook by crouching in front of it. Did the devs intetionally make that a viable option? It’s so cheap and infuriating (especially when I don’t run iron grasp).

Nope, it became a thing once survivor realized how to abuse bodyblocking (funny that such a big "monster" cant push away a little girl)

• Tsulan
    Options

@mintchapstick said:

@Tsulan said:

Hold on...

When the team sucks = "give me my free escape, because it´s not fair that i get punished because my team sucks"
    When the team wins = "yeah we are supposed to work as a team, that´s why we win"

Find the error.

• SovererignKing
    SovererignKing Member Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Tsulan said:

@mintchapstick said:

@Tsulan said:

Hold on...

When the team sucks = "give me my free escape, because it´s not fair that i get punished because my team sucks"
    When the team wins = "yeah we are supposed to work as a team, that´s why we win"

Find the error.

Double standards are real. “Well, we’re supposed to have a team so it’s an advantage for for me... except when that team fails and becomes a hindrance. The game mechanics should change so SUDDENLY the game goes from balanced for a 4v1 to balanced for a 1v1!” Why? Oh, no real reason. Just cause. Survivor privileges and all that. You know, the normal.
  • powerbats
    Options

@Tsulan said:

@mintchapstick said:

@Tsulan said:

Hold on...

Find the error.

It's fine when the team sucks and the killer doesn't camp/bunch of newbs because you as the more experienced player will hopefully carry. It sucks when it's a really experienced team with top of the line perks because then you're basically screwed unless they screw up.

For perks why not make it limit one non personal perk for all chars/sides and or make it so that each additional perk can only be 1 rank lower. So you get your personal perk tier 3. If you have 3 teachable perks then either the 2nd one can only be tier 2 then 2 1's or 3,2,1 in that order.

That would make it more important to choose which perk is 2nd and so on. No more free I win perks for high ranks/swrt groups. The killer would still be the same but for each SWF group member gets to add 1 tier to each perk. So if it's 2 SWF members they get tier 3 personal and 2nd and 3rd could be tier 2. The 4th would still be tier 1. For 3 it'd go up to 3 tier 3's and 1 tier 2 and maxing out at 4 tier 4s with full group.

The killer wouldn't only know they were getting a partial or full group by the highlighted perk slots beyond the 1st one. They wouldn't know who was who unless it was a 4 man or they had clan tags etc This is probably too complicated to work but if so someone else could make it better..

• Jack11803
    Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930
    Options

@FSB75 said:
    My solution is simple:

When survivors attempt to body block me from hooking, I go instantly into face camp mode.

Think of it like binary:

By default, my face camping is set to 0. Body blocking switches it to 1.

While both face camping AND body blocking are legitimate to use in game, it is up to the survivors to "cross that line".

Let's be clear here...I'm not talking only about successful body blocking, wherein the survivor gets away. I mean ANY attempt to prevent my progress to the hook. As such, the player I'm attempting to hook may not have done anything to bring the upcoming face camp on themselves...but they will endure the burden of being face camped. I will forego all other players and all efforts to prevent them from leaving until the player on the hook is dead. If I should so happen to hook another survivor from the same trial, it's the same thing.

Although I do use map control killers, (doc/billy) I think that face camping is a super bad choice as it throws the game, sometimes at exit gates it helps, but doing it for such a small thing is even worse. If you do face camp, be proud, own up to it, that binary example seems like a cop out

• FSB75
    FSB75 Member Posts: 474
    edited June 2018
    Options

@Jack11803 said:

Although I do use map control killers, (doc/billy) I think that face camping is a super bad choice as it throws the game, sometimes at exit gates it helps, but doing it for such a small thing is even worse. If you do face camp, be proud, own up to it, that binary example seems like a cop out

It's not about winning....it's about sending a message.

The binary example is not an excuse. Think of it as MAD....you know, the old, you don't do this, I won't do that.

• Jack11803
    Options

@FSB75 said:

@Jack11803 said:

The binary example is not an excuse. Think of it as MAD....you know, the old, you don't do this, I won't do that.

99% If Killers will not face camp just because of body blocking, or at all. The only messaging your sending, even if not your intention, is that you get disturbed easy

• FSB75
    Options

@Jack11803 said:

@FSB75 said:

@Jack11803 said:

99% If Killers will not face camp just because of body blocking, or at all. The only messaging your sending, even if not your intention, is that you get disturbed easy

I'm fine with that....

• Jack11803
    Options

@FSB75

Then why do you do it? Revenge? Anger? Your own personal sense of justice? I want to know, this fascinates me

• Yaq
    Yaq Member Posts: 23
    Options

@megaweenieman said:

there is a achievement doing this 250 times

• FSB75
    Options

@Yaq said:

@megaweenieman said:

there is a achievement doing this 250 times

There is an achievement for "distraction". Unfortunately the game cannot discern between running around in front of the killer and crouching under the hook preventing a hook.

• FSB75
    Options

@Jack11803 said:

Your own personal sense of justice?

As a killer, I openly criticize players that believe the killer should be a "powerhouse"....controlling the game. I don't think it's possible to achieve balance while either side (killer or survivor) maintains an edge.

For me, it's a sense of immersion. When 1,2, or as many as 3 survivors come running up to a killer within the first minute of the game, it's obvious that there is no fear or sense of urgency on the survivors part. It's simply not the game I want to play. Now, that's fine, the game wasn't meant for me individually. Perhaps it's even a sense of taking SOME control. If I can't control the fact that players are not afraid of being caught, and to add insult to injury I can't even control hooking a survivor I rightfully caught, I'm going to control something.

Personally....and I'm well aware this isn't popular, I'd like to see an all or nothing BP system. Increase BPs awarded by, I don't care, 500%....die and get nothing.

• mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891
    Options

@Tsulan said:

@mintchapstick said:

@Tsulan said:

Hold on...

Find the error.

It's funny that you bring that up, because my original reply to you was:

You think survivors should work as a team and should be held accountable as a team, and then you whine when they do. Is there literally any winning with you? Should all survivors just stand still & die for you?

• shadowsfall42
    shadowsfall42 Member Posts: 201
    Options
    A one hit down, while a survivor is being carried and any variation of that is an awful idea.

If survivors are body blocking a hook, drop the one you're carrying and hit them. It's an option that is perfectly viable but is yet to be mentioned. Don't waste time trying to hook them if you're being bodyblocked, unless it's literally just one. Hit them. In most situations one person body blocking is really good for you, as you hook the one you're carrying and suddenly, another survivor is occupied with healing or running from you, without the benefit of being able to take an additional hit. Even if that survivor is saved you have a new one to hook. It's a good strategy if executed properly and provided the survivor gets off the killers shoulders.
  • FSB75
    Options

@shadowsfall42 said:
    A one hit down, while a survivor is being carried and any variation of that is an awful idea.

If survivors are body blocking a hook, drop the one you're carrying and hit them. It's an option that is perfectly viable but is yet to be mentioned. Don't waste time trying to hook them if you're being bodyblocked, unless it's literally just one. Hit them. In most situations one person body blocking is really good for you, as you hook the one you're carrying and suddenly, another survivor is occupied with healing or running from you, without the benefit of being able to take an additional hit. Even if that survivor is saved you have a new one to hook. It's a good strategy if executed properly and provided the survivor gets off the killers shoulders.

Sure, let me just drop this survivor so I can give other survivors another chance to blind me with a flashlight. Or perhaps someone has an instant heal. Dropping a survivor when you have already put the work in to put them in the dying state just because you can't hook them is ridiculous.

Personally, I think the killer should be shown the "wiggle meter". I'm fairly confident a killer would be aware if they are losing grip.

• powerbats
    Options

@FSB75 said:

Personally, I think the killer should be shown the "wiggle meter". I'm fairly confident a killer would be aware if they are losing grip.

The wiggle meter would just be abused then, oh they're about to wiggle out i'll drop them and camp bleed them to death instead. If it was only usable while being body blocked then it'd be a better option but as a standalone it'd be way too easy to game.

• shadowsfall42
    shadowsfall42 Member Posts: 201
    edited June 2018
    Options
    FSB75 said:

@shadowsfall42 said:

Sure, let me just drop this survivor so I can give other survivors another chance to blind me with a flashlight. Or perhaps someone has an instant heal. Dropping a survivor when you have already put the work in to put them in the dying state just because you can't hook them is ridiculous.

Your choices against bodyblocking are just hit them, which if the survivors body block correctly, they're gonna wiggle off, which nullifies your work anyway or drop them, and hit the body blockers. If they want to stick around, you have the potential for more downs. Dropping them means unless they have a full Insta heal, the work towards downing them remains intact. One heal state Insta heal doesn't matter as you can down them in one hit and it resets wiggle progress. If they have flashlights do what you should do if you think they have flashlights and fake a pick up and hit them.

Or you could keep being you, ignoring legitimate advice and whining. 
    Post edited by shadowsfall42 on
  • EpicFailTryHard
    EpicFailTryHard Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    FSB75 said:

My solution is simple:i

When survivors attempt to body block me from hooking, I go instantly into face camp mode.

Think of it like binary:

By default, my face camping is set to 0. Body blocking switches it to 1.

While both face camping AND body blocking are legitimate to use in game, it is up to the survivors to "cross that line".

Let's be clear here...I'm not talking only about successful body blocking, wherein the survivor gets away. I mean ANY attempt to prevent my progress to the hook. As such, the player I'm attempting to hook may not have done anything to bring the upcoming face camp on themselves...but they will endure the burden of being face camped. I will forego all other players and all efforts to prevent them from leaving until the player on the hook is dead. If I should so happen to hook another survivor from the same trial, it's the same thing.

exactly.  that is the only time i camp as killer.  although, i also block hooks as a survivor.  i don't play swf though.