Am I insane?

So, long story short...

I like indoor maps more than outdoor maps. I like Lery's. I like Midwich. I like RPD. I like Hawkins (even though it's pretty much gone now).

They all gave off a feeling of other horror games, not knowing exactly where you'll encounter the killer, with how vision is heavily limited, and all that other atmospheric stuff. I find the games more fun when there's that feeling of 'I hear the radius, now where is he?' instead of 'Welp, there he is. Didn't even need to hear the radius to know where I'm supposed to move to now.'

Comments

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824

People don't play this as a horror game.

• No, I agree with you. A lot of people like this game for different reasons. On these forums though, I feel like most people here only care about the competitive viability of this game which is why so many people here don’t like the indoor maps.

Me though, I also like indoor maps. On outdoor maps you can often see the killer coming from very far away in some scenarios, which can break the immersion.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452

My main killer is Ghostface, so maps that are typically good for killers like Autohaven and Dead Dawg are kind of bad for my main.

Which remembers me when people ask to "delete indoor maps" because they don't work well with killers like Blight and Huntress. Do people forget about stealth and M1 killers?

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

How is having a different taste make you insane? You like what you like bud.

I hate pumpkin, all my family loves pumpkin, who is wrong there? No one you just like what you like.

Btw, I too love the "where the heck is the killer coming from feeling" but I prefer outdoor maps.

• OrangeJack
    OrangeJack Member Posts: 464

All are fine except RPD. In the other indoor maps, if I see a hooked/downed survivor and I run in their direction, I will reach them. With RPD, I don't know where to go.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

this is why I think a dense forest map would be awesome. An outdoor map with the feel of an indoor map

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

I think the Doctor has shocked you one too many times

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

I'm not opposed to the idea of indoor maps its just most of them are horribly designed in in general like the Game, RPD, and Midwich.

Lerrys for the most part is fine as a map and for survivor players but it just doesn't work a lot of killers(Chain saws/Ranged/LoS/Blight/Oni).

So people who main killers, that suck on the map(Which is a good chunk of the killers in the game) will end up hating it a lot because its hinders their ability to play.

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

I wish we had more indoor maps tbh.

Wishlist map would be a Gothic castle sort of setting for a vampire killer.

So much possibility though for indoor maps. A factory would be cool. Despite my hatred for Hawkins I will miss it as an indoor map because we're down bad on those lol

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

Kinda like shelter woods but with LOS blockers and stuff?

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,763

Yes you are insane. These are the 2008 Spore forums.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

You're not alone friend. The indoor maps all happen to be my favorites. It's not even necessarily that they're indoors (the only difference is that there are more walls and a ceiling, after all) it's that I think that they're just more interesting, more unique, more well-designed. Most of the outdoor maps are basically just big open areas with different-looking obstacles sprinkled throughout.

Gideon's, Hawkins, Lery's and Midwich are my favorite maps in the game and I'm fine being in the minority on that. You can only run around so many trees, boulders and crushed cars before you want something different.

• ElusivePukka
    ElusivePukka Member Posts: 1,599

The indoor maps have more inbuilt plays and counterplays, for both sides. There's just more care going into them - so yeah, not insane, I think the outdoor ones are more atmospheric but less fun overall.

• BabuDweet
    BabuDweet Member Posts: 556

No honestly the indoor maps have grown on me.

I love midwich, more so as survivor and I love Hawkins so it's sad that's getting removed.

I used to loathe midwich but the more I got it the more I actually grew to love it!

The game and lery's are decent too.

Rpd is, well. Need I say more? Remove it in general hahaha (joke btw, but yeah not a fan at all of it).

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,866

You’re not insane for liking certain maps.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

I like indoor maps outside of Lery's. Way too many vault to vault spots for my comfort. I always talk trash about Pyramid Head, but man, on that map? He is as strong as everyone makes him out to be. Lol.

I am mostly a killer main. So I guess bias even though I prefer those maps as survivor. Especially Lery's. The only map I can run a killer for a few gens instead of a few seconds.

• ezrank1
    ezrank1 Member Posts: 32

The indoor maps are more balanced due to the way they suppress survivor information gathering and also give way to allow for more interesting play styles.

Survivors of course hate this. It is what it is.

• Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980

Lery's and The Game are my favorite maps to play on both sides. They both have a great horror movie scene feeling, and I do prefer stealthier Killers, so they help those nicely. Midwich is starting to grow on me a bit, now that I've played there more, but I despise Hawkins from both sides. Honestly will not be unhappy to see it gone. The atmosphere is great, I just hate the hallways and the lack of mechanics like The Game where doors open when you complete gens. It feels too bland.

The outdoor maps would be better if they were darker. Love the Swamp for its atmosphere, Macmillan's is pretty good, and I enjoy all of the Auto maps, but the reworked Corn maps are horrible. A dark, moonlit night in a cornfield would make them so much better. I still don't understand why they made them daytime bright, unless they couldn't get the lighting to work (surprise, surprise. Isn't that why they removed the light offerings?).

Classic slasher flicks almost always take place during the evening -> early morning hours. The daytime is generally left for setup, informational dialogue, and tension building. The real action takes place once the sun goes down. Any setting that mimics this in some fashion is perfect for DbD.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited September 2021

I quite enjoy indoor maps as a survivor. I don't think they're good for the game and I am a staunch advocate for reworking the way they function, but I still enjoy playing on them.

Edit: Enjoy playing on them as a survivor. As a killer I would rather slam my hand in a door. Which is why I think they need their base gameplay reworked, or stealth in DbD to be overhauled. No map type should make people feel like that.

• LegacySmikey
    LegacySmikey Applicant, Member Posts: 567

It's all a personal choice really & probably largely dependent on which side or who / how you play.

As a survivor I hate all indoor maps except Hawkins I've always enjoyed that one.

As a killer I don't mind indoor maps with trapper, Doctor, spooky myers & freddy, hag can be really brutal on them too but I don't like playing as hag.

Oni & leather face are 2 of my favorite 5 killers though & indoor isn't the best for them.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

No differing opinions allowed. Yes insane.