The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Do You Still Consider The Toolboxes A Good Item Category?

Boss
Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Genuinely curious on this.

Naturally i saw a big drop in Toolbox usage in my lobbies after the devs made it so they couldn't last for more than 1 Generator anymore, but now i'd like to hear about it.

Comments

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

As @DaBawb said, mainly for sabotaging only.. which is very situational - especially without the help of a perk or many perks. Otherwise in the slight chance the generator I’m repairing is near completion, and I know the killer is on his or her way.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,307

I just find them boring more than anything. Besides sabo they just let you do something faster, and sabo is extremely situational.

Medkits both let you heal others faster and heal yourself without a perk, while something like flashlights, maps and keys all let you do stuff that's normally not available to you whatsoever.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,350

I think toolboxes are still an overall good item. Shaving a few seconds of a gen time is still good. People complain about Prove Thyself which only shaves off a few seconds as well. Not to mention BNPs are still good.

It's just they require a bit smarter play since they don't last as long.

• ManyAchievables
    ManyAchievables Member Posts: 667

They were changed from being a small all-purpose thing to very strong near the end only. Sometimes that increased repair speed when you're in a 3-gen can be the difference between a win and a loss.

These situations are rather rare, however, and the toolboxes are also the least interesting item.

There's a reason why people meme about getting a brown toolbox in a chest but not with a brown medkit.

Also, Sabotage is just generally awful now. You can sometimes get value with it if the Killer's dumb, but that's it.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,465

Toolboxes are still good they just don't buy as much time as they used to off of pure efficiency

a commodious toolbox with addons can still buy a good 30 seconds from a single item and addons with no perks involved if an entire team ruins them they can shave off 120 seconds of gen time which is game changing

• cpt_hellman
    cpt_hellman Member Posts: 72

tool box's are better when you do gens with others

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

Just outclassed by medkits in terms of time saved

The only time I see toolboxes in lobbies is for 1 of 2 reasons

Sabos (Which are rare) or BNPs which are surprisingly a lot more common than you'd think

From time to time I'll bring one just for a bit of variety but the impact they can have is minimal when ruin is meta.

• RenRen
    RenRen Member Posts: 1,443

Yes. It's just outclassed by medkits and keys. Also people like bringing flashlights for saves.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Sooo...

Med-Kits -> Keys -> Flashlights -> Toolboxes -> Maps?

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

I like using toolboxes for generators with built to last, streetwise, prove thyself, and something else like spine chill. Usually add on a wire spool and and some scraps. Like using the green toolbox with 32 charges. It will get you through most of a generator.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,692
    edited September 2021

They're good if you save them for the late game / to break up a 3-gen.

They're bad if you just jump on the first gen you see and blow it (sometimes this is ok on the 'central' gen).

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

Toolboxes were only really used by high level players. Since the nerf people moved over to Med-kits.

They're still pretty good if used correctly but they just aren't fun unless it's a sabo toolbox. People would rather use the other stuff because they are more fun and easy to use.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

I have this idea...

Making Item free for Survivor, so it will be equal to Killer's power. Except items (without addon) are now mostly a training tool rather than aiding you in trial.

For the Toolbox: 32 charges, no speed boost & sabo, but constantly spawn skill check. So the real speed boost here is depends on your ability to hit Great skill check.

For now I bring Toolbox only to sabo for some BP

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

It is strong, just as flashlights are strong. But why bring them when you can bring a medkit? That is the main problem, in my opinion.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

I feel it's more like Medkits -> Keys -> Toolboxes -> Maps -> Flashlights.

A flashlight can be even worse than bringing nothing a lot of the time.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,955

personally yes i do, i think they are stronger late game rather than early game

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited September 2021

They're okay. Anyone scoffing at shaving 5 seconds off a generator (at worst) never had to deal with Old Toolboxes, because that was broken as hell. Right now, they do stuff and it's always useful and often quite valuable. And given how insanely hard to balance something that shortens the survivors already quick and uninteractive objective is, the Devs actually did a pretty good job. Like making Mori's more of a flavour-that-is-still-useful-in-lots-of-occassions instead of a game-winner. Sure, toolboxes are weaker, but the mechanic itself is flawed so I think they're pretty good. Plus Built To Last exists now, and hot damn have I done some things with that perk and a commodius.

• Lynxx
    Lynxx Member Posts: 510

Useless mostly - only time I take one in is to get the crappy (er) brown ones out of my inventory.

I just drop them soon as the trial starts.

• Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980

I like the new toolboxes. They give you an edge, without being overpowered like they used to be. If you don't get found first, you can almost guarantee a gen by the time someone gets downed, depending on the skill level of your team (I play solo queue). It's only really when 3+ are in the match that they become problematic. Rare to see, but it does happen of course.

The changes to sabo and how toolboxes work with it are pretty solid as well, imo at least. It's situational now and when you pull it off, it can change up the course of a game. It gives Survivors incentive to play more as a team, willing to sacrifice a hit maybe to get your fellow Survivor off a Killer's shoulder. It frustrates me pretty bad when I'm playing Killer, but the timer on it is fair and it's a good play if they can do it.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

They're only really good for sabotaging and finishing the last gen, both of which are very situational. Other than that, they're not that useful.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

They can be very useful when there's 1 gen left and you need to get it done asap. But other than that I think they're pretty mediocre now.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

They're still useful. The use has changed though. They're best used closer to the end of a match when you need to push the last gen. They can be especially strong if you build around it.

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454

Oh thank you very ######### much for REMOVING my reply when I pressed post comment. I just woke up, turned on my wifi and my cellular data untill the wifi came. I switched to wifi while typing and when I press post, I am told to wait just a moment for them to check my browser and they also simply removed my comment, not even a draft left.

@MandyTalk @Rizzo90 can any mod please tell me why this is a thing? I understand, redo the check browser thingy after I change my internet, but why does my comment straight up disappear?

Now to rewrite a shorter version my comment. I would put flashlights up there, either before or after medkits. If used well, they can save you and others hookstages and also ease 360s by a lot. Also maps are better than toolboxes, they can be really helpful when getting rid of totems. This means countering NOED and hex perks in general which is, if you ask me, better than a 5 seconds reduced repair time for one of the gens.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

If used correctly? Flashlights can be huge, yeah.

But it's almost entirely up to the killer being dumb to give you those saves. Most of the time, it results in spending a lot of time that could've been used to do gens to fail at getting saves and giving the killer free pressure.

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454

I personally get a lot of value from flashlights, so as long as I have more than one and more than one battery, I use them 100%.

Btw, the amount of killers that try to counter flashlight saves as much as possible idn't that big. Very rarely I get killers that pick up facing walls or check for survivors around.

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

The only times I bring toolboxes are when I have a challenge where I need to sabotage hooks or I feel like actually running one, usually with my memey plunderers build.

The idea is to sink the toolbox into the first generator I see and then plunder chests to get new items. I usually use Streetwise with this so I get extra extra use out of my toolbox and whatever else I get from the chests. It's a lot of fun tbh especially when I get more toolboxes.

Also super rare, sometimes I use a commodious toolbox with the addon that makes repairs with it more quiet + Technician for my weird stealth gen monkey build. This one rarely sees the light of day though because it's sacrificing a lot to just be a background gen worker lol

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,954

Toolboxes are ok although if you ask me the common one is pointless and should be a retired item

• Kryo_Night
    Kryo_Night Member Posts: 15

Imo they are definitely not as strong as before but with a good enough box or enough team coordination they can still raise mad hell especially if you're running a BNP, Prove Thyself and/or Fast Track,

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

I feel like they are in general outdated.

The game speed and controlling it has become an increasing issue with the game which this item directly effects.

Moris got gutted because they made the killer's game speed too fast and toolboxes also got a heavy nerf for the same reason.

I would not be too surprised if toolboxes eventually got cut all together much like how moris are planned to be cut.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,046

Nah, they were a bit overnerfed IMO. Before they were too strong, but now I feel that they are just useless. They clutter the Bloodweb, which is my biggest annoyance with them.

And even if you bring a Commodious Toolbox with a BNP and extra charges (which is probably the strongest combination for Repair), it will not guarantee you a win at all, not even close, despite investing 16k BPs for it.