Please check if your issue has already been reported first!

When reporting a bug, please follow the template provided, otherwise the report will be declined. The information requested is vital to allow us to correctly reproduce and then fix what you are reporting.
We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

[5.2.0] High SBMM Killer Matchmaking (Queue Time, Inaccurate Matchups and Killer Discrepancy)

Rasgnarok
Rasgnarok Member Posts: 7
edited September 2021 in Bug Reporting

1. Introduction

I felt the need to create a proper bug report for this as I am seeing a lot of people experiencing my issue. It has impacted not only my pleasure in playing, but my willingness to play at all. Nearing 2000 hours into your game, I genuinely want to keep learning and improving on my Killer gameplay. However, with this current issue, games are lasting as long as queue time, and until this is solved, I won't be queueing as Killer at all.

2. Issue Report

Killer queue times are greatly affected by the introduction of SBMM due to the lack of closely matched survivors, making the general, average queue time extend well-beyond the common player's patience. Survivors receive a greatly disparate treatment by the new SBMM system, which pairs them incredibly faster in comparison to Killer queue times.

3. Testing: Killer Queues

First, I tested the following killers: Myers, Freddy, Plague, Nurse, Trapper, Legion, Huntress, Spirit, Demogorgon and Doctor. I'll note, I had never played Freddy before on this account except on KYF, an account that is nearing 2000h into your game.

All my killers experienced an average of 9.3 minutes lobbies. This was tested on NA-East, between the hours of 9 AM (EST) to 11PM (EST). My high-SBMM killers (Nurse, Huntress, Trapper and Legion) were matched not much faster than my low-SBMM killers, averaging at about 10.6 minutes queue times. Most curiously of all, it took my new Freddy 8 minutes, 20 seconds to be matched at 7PM EST, in NA-East servers. A killer I never played fell just short of the average queue time for my high-SBMM.

Before SBMM, usually, as you probably know, high survivor queues happened between the hours of 8PM (EST) to 1AM (EST) for NA-East. At the time, killers at Red Ranks (1-4) were in queue for no longer than ~2 minutes. This was due to the high amount of survivors at Red Ranks that were looking for a lobby as well, keeping Red Killers' queue time low. This was kept rather consistent across all killers, but of course, the old ranking system did not make a difference between killers when calculating matchmaking.

Second, I tested this on a blank, unused account, that had only the default killers. Trapper, Hillbilly, Nurse and Huntress all were able to be matched within 3.4 minutes by SBMM to their lobbies. This again, was tested between the hours of 9 AM (EST) to 11PM (EST) to keep this report consistent. I have no comment in relation to the Rank 20 experience before SBMM changed matchmaking, though I don't think lack of data here is relevant.

4. Testing: Survivor Queues

In the interest of a full bug report, I've gone ahead and tested quite a fair amount of survivor games over the same period of time, over the same amount of time. My survivor queues, which are likely low-SBMM thanks to too many Adept attempts, are taking sheer seconds. In fact, at high times for my region, NA-East, (between the hours of hours of 8PM (EST) to 1AM (EST)), I am instantly brought to a lobby as soon as I queue up. Of course, there are survivor issues related to SBMM, which revolve more around SBMM's variables for survivors, and less so about its impact on queue times. Just note that there is too an issue in instant matchmaking - high probability of mismatching.

5. Conclusion

In concluding, my testing spanned several days, Wednesday till Thursday since Patch 5.2.0, and it has remained consistent enough to prove this issue as one. Therefore, my general testing has confirmed that Killer queue times are greatly affected by the introduction of SBMM due to the lack of closely matched survivors.

Needless to say, this is an enormously pressing issue that affects the likelyhood of players waiting for Killer queue times. I for one know that I've stopped attempting to queue, because as of writing this, queue times are no longer worth the time in-game.

Hoping for a reply soon, thanks for reading.

NB: I ask that commenting parties refrain from the political discussion related to SBMM. This ticket is to keep related to the title, killer queue-times at high SBMM and their consequences on the affected queue pool times - including survivor. (EDITED to include notes on Survivor, 17/09/21).

Post edited by Rasgnarok on
5 votes

Pending · Last Updated

Comments

• SabunoHakia
    SabunoHakia Member Posts: 465

I can't say I have as many hours but my last rank was silver 2 and I have in fact not had these issues but these issues were on my Gold 4 Survivor. But the match ups were actually very good, but long.

• Rasgnarok

Hi! When you mean rank, do you mean the old ranking system, or the new SBMM? SBMM does not take into account the visible ranks, now called 'Grades', but a hidden factor. I estimate that the killers I have high-MMR on are the ones where I am a consistent 3k/4k without several slowdown, or insta-down perks. On contrast, low-MMR killers I tested are ones I played once or twice on, and in the case of Freddy, never. Him having high lobby times means that SBMM is possibly bugged and it's high ranking SBMM for all killers on a player's account. Either way, he should've tested and given me results similar to my spoof account, which got 3.4mins of lobby time, at most.

Games for me last an average of 10 to 15 minutes, which remains unchanged. I must say though, the queue time should not be half the gaming experience regardless of the quality of the matchup.

• SabunoHakia
    edited September 2021

New one for Survivor but I have been on this one substantially more and have been consistently alive nearly the whole match everytime with nearly no hooks and I can't say I have played consistently well during the killer aspects but I do well but yeah I would say so far my experience is good on Killer and bad on Survivor as I have reached somewhere between 10-15 minutes in some que.

Most of my games usually and oddly range from 30-45 killer and oddly enough it depends Survivor 15-91h.

I should try and make a spoof and test my Survivor out.

• Rasgnarok

Interesting. Try maxing out your killer (consistent 4k games that last a decent time, I assume gen defense counts for SBMM!) and see if your queue times grow longer compared to a spoof account without any killer rating whatsover. I expect queue times to be different across SBMM ranking, but the fact that it's taking nearly as long as the average game is the core of this issue.

• Rasgnarok

Where possible, I would be interested in knowing if this is just an issue with my region, or if others in EU/Oceania are experiencing the same. I sadly can't test that, but if anyone reading can drop their results, it would be interesting to see how pool size can affect the SBMM queue times.

• Rasgnarok
    edited September 2021
    1. Low MMR Killers on account with high MMR Killers are being bundled into a similar MMR range, which defeats the point of separate MMR rating for every killer on a Player's account.
    2. High MMR Killer queues take too long due to low pool on high-MMR survivors, but this can't be dismissed as expected - see below.
    3. Ex-high survivor (previous ranking) are bundled with low MMR survivors and low MMR killers, which points to issues with the MMR count for survivors in the first place, not the low amount of skilled survivors overall.
    Post edited by Rizzo on
  • Rasgnarok

A note on SBMM on never-used killers on a high killer SBMM Player account: it appears that while matchups are no different, new accounts display correct levels of matchmaking at low SBMM even if the survivor side of the account has high SBMM.

• SabunoHakia
    edited September 2021

Never has this happened I am now waiting roughly 5 minutes for games as a killer but I play to Grade 2 Silver so but my god this is definitely slower now.

Hillbilly and other I usually only touch for challenges are what are slowed down but my Pig is nearly instant.