SBMM just does not work

As a solo survivor with over 3000 hours im being put with teammates with under 500 and it is not getting any better really. Just got someone with 81 hours as a teammate...

Its very inconsistent when i play killer as well, some are very good some are very very poor.

Comments

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    edited September 2021

Same here. Last test was amazing for me.

I'm almost at 5 thousand hours and I keep getting paired with people who have 100 hours and urban evade and self care eveywhere.

Edit: Just the other day I got a team mate on my team that didnt even know what a trickster was. Someone who has never seen a killer shouldnt be on my team.

• Luciferr_2nd
    Luciferr_2nd Member Posts: 911

Exactly. I'm getting survivors that are clearly new to the game, no skins/prestige and some dont have any teachable perks from any other survivor.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    edited September 2021

If escapes are heavily weighted in the algorythm, then we might genuinely have a elo hell design flaw for survivors, seeing as the game is killer-sided against less-than-competent survivors and even the best players have to rely on teammates.

So, yes, can't escape because of bad teammates, can't get better teammates because can't escape.

The only ways out of the hellhole would be to swf, or to take a key into every trial.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

It started off well for me but now I'm beginning to see why I didn't want MMR in this game.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

I mean did anyone actually expect it to work?

• DragonSlayerX67
    DragonSlayerX67 Member Posts: 36

as a killer the new SBMM tends too just match me with extremely good 2k+ hour survivor swf squads when I have maybe 400 hours and just get bullied and a ton of toxic behavior and hate mail when I had no chance too win in the beginning

match making now is i feel more unbalanced then ever

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,866

It’s a good thing it doesn’t work well. A good functioning SBMM in this game wouldn’t be good for the game.

• DarKaron
    DarKaron Member Posts: 615

In the famous words of Howard Todd:

"It just works."

• IsJustMe
    IsJustMe Member Posts: 436

It not works, my wife has ~150h game time, she tryed first time killer today and was really pissed of after few game. i try to help her with a game and i played vs 2 survs with 5k and 2 survs 2k hours.... so tell me what works here?? right nothing

• Sakurra
    Sakurra Member Posts: 1,046
    edited September 2021

It's not working anymore after reset grade. I have 2k hours (both survivor and killer). More survivor than killer. My team is noob, the killer pro. Me average. As killer I get genrush, loopers, again and again, 0 hooks. What a joke.

• 1miko
    1miko Member Posts: 268

Did anybody really expect this to work though? I get lobbies with my most played killers on which I constantly get 4Ks or hatch 3Ks with a good emblem system score, against survivors that can't barely loop me or don't know about anything but pressing forward, getting always smashed by any kind of simple redlight hiding mindgame. As a survivor I get either matched with amazing players and players that just got into the game.

At least the old system was somewhat consistent with keeping the extra casual players stuck in yellow/green ranks because they would not spam the game at all and would not climb through ranks. The thing with having both average and high skill rank players thrown into the same lobby is still a thing. This system is just a placebo that coincidentally happens to have a higher rate of side favourable map offerings thrown into games.

Honestly sharing opinions with friends and watching casual streamers (I'm excluding anyone at the level of Zubat, Cope, ScottJund or whoever off what I'm about to say) mostly everyone lands at the opinion that barely anything changed if things we're actually made notoriously worse, being the worst subjects to it soloqueue survivors.

This is another "bhvr pls" meme. It was pulled off so bad it would be comical if it was not as depressing to see a company treat a playerbase like this given how the last few months have been bug wise and performance wise. This system is just a big ######### dissappointment.

• scenekiller
    scenekiller Member Posts: 890

I feel you. Today, I honestly uninstalled my game until further notice because of how horrendous sbmm has been.

I’ve only been playing since late 2018, but 2021 has been a horrendous year for this game and I honestly don’t know if it can ever bring itself back from all the ######### ups that have happened since June alone.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

I played two killer matches for the first time the other day since the SBMM was activated, and it was absolutely abysmal. I've never sweated so hard playing killer before. I play more survivor than I do killer, so it was a bit of a surprise. Every time I go to queue up killer now I think about those last two games I had and I I either switch to survivor, or I shut the game off completely.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,406

I had some really bad teammates after rank reset, but yesterday it seemed fine again. And my bad teammates should have lowered my mmr. So maybe its the same as before. You get bad teammates bc there is nobody else available. But if you are really in elo hell, you need a swf or maybe try to survive always atleast 10 minutes and hope that your MMR increases.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,236
    edited September 2021

It's an improvement, mostly, but still has so many of the same problems old matchmaking had. The further we get from the SBMM launch day, the less consistency there seems to be with the system. Survivor matchmaking seems to have been tweaked at the rank reset. There's way too much MMR variance allowed among 4 survivors. 3000 hr players should never, ever, under any circumstances be matched with anyone who has less than 100 hours. Your system needs to be scrapped if that ever happens.

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147

As a newer player with a few hundred hours it’s working good for me at the moment. Not played too many games since the update but so far there’s a noticeable difference with games being far more balanced. Now I can actually practise looping and learn the tiles/maps instead of facing killers with thousands of hours experience.

• SonicOffline
    SonicOffline Member Posts: 917

Maybe it's working absolutely fine, since hours played does not equate to skill. Just a thought~

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

There are so many reasons why SBMM may appear to be working incorrectly, or doing a poor job.

For example, last night I played in a 4-man SWF.

Our hours were as follows:

Survivor A: ~80 - 90hrs

Survivor B: ~100hrs

Survivor C: ~300hrs

Me: ~2200hrs.

How do you expect the game do pair us with the right killer in this situation?

Survivor A & B don't even know what Mend or Ruin are, and will go down to Mend outside of chase because they've never experienced the mechanic, whilst Survivor C has learned everything they need to know about the game, but doesn't have the hours to loop good killers for over a minute.

Meanwhile, I can loop even good killers for 2-3 minutes at a time--sometimes even escaping chase without taking a health state.

The reality is, theres no perfect match in this situation.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

We need to drop skill based matchmaking and add tp (time played) matchmaking. This will greatly please the community as a whole.

• Grimzy
    Grimzy Member Posts: 219

Its funny how people think hours spent in a game matters in terms of player skill....LOL

You can have someone with 30 hours that plays better than someone with 200-300 hours. So looking at hours played for SBMM literally shows nothing.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

"PlAy a BiT mOrE iT WiLl aDjUsT bY iTsElF To yOuR sKiLl lEvEL".

Mmr on dbd is a nonsense.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Yeah it does. The only issue is that killers are so used to getting easy AF trials that they didn't realise that if they keep winning then the system is going to push them to the top.

What everyone is complaining about? That's my life. You've all had it for a week. Sick of it yet? Too bad, I'm busy having genuinely fun trials that last longer than 4 minutes.

The only reason that MMR seems like it not working is because they need to reset the data. Killers normally win more than lose, so they all got shot to the top and created a massive deficit.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

As opposed to ranks, which is MMR with extra steps that happens to be visible and waaaaayyyyy too lose when it comes to how fast you rank up?