Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

HOLD W META EFFECTIVENESS

Killer stun after a successful hit = 3 seconds

Survivor boost speed = 2 seconds @ 6m/s = 12 meters

Remaining second distance = 4 meters

So after a hit, if the survivor goes straight, there is a 16 meters distance between the killer and the survivor

How long does a standard killer will need to catch up ?

T = D/V = 16/0,6 ~ 27 seconds

Add one dead hard to go to a pallet and the initial chase time, and you are around 70/80 seconds without any skill requirement.

Comments

• BuddhaBing
    BuddhaBing Member Posts: 248

So a survivor hitting a pallet stun and then holding w beats a killer eating a pallet and then also just holding w?

Sure, the survivor play isn't some high level MLG stuff, but you're also assuming the killer has no power or brain, of course they're going to have a rough time.

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599

W gamers counter Freddy, if he tries to teleport ahead of you make your read, and turn around or run a different way. Literally his biggest counter is holding W.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Clown can use both bottles to gain a lot of distance too

• MarcoPoloYolo
    MarcoPoloYolo Member Posts: 508

Nurse isn't as fast as you think. Holding W might be less effective compared to a 115% killer, but it's effective if she's not using omega blink.

That's Blight's main power, so no surprises there.

Wraith can do that (and it's helpful), but he has little anti-loop power, so basically holding W becomes secondary for the survivor.

Billy can cut the distance by a bit, but the 3 second cooldown will maintain some distance regardless. If there's clutter in the way, it'll become comical.

I have no idea why we're bringing up Victor. That'll happen only a very specific circumstance with the Twins.

If they're running to a gen, maybe, but under most circumstances, no. That, and they'd have to fall for an obvious trick. So no, still is a standard 115% killer in most circumstances.

Well you don't use Demo do you?

Hag doesn't chase, so that's irrelevant.

At a sweet spot. At a certain distance, the survivor can react. Also, with cover in the way, it's worse for her than the average killer.

Did you just list one of the biggest victims of the W key as one of the killers that counters it?

• 2bitfeller
    2bitfeller Member Posts: 77

So what I'm getting from this is, blight will probably be nerfed

• Artick
    Artick Member Posts: 623

If survivors outplay you by holding W while you play Nurse then you probably aren't any good at playing her. Not trying to be rude, but it's a fact.

• IWFreak
    IWFreak Member Posts: 252

They are...

They WILL catch up, even if only just a LITTLE bit quicker than a normal M1 killer. But that little time can make the difference.

It can get you that hit at a pallet, or it can get you an extra pallet down or broken.

And depending on the situation, you can corner the survivor at a pallet in the corner of the map.

You can also try not getting stunned, or run Enduring/Spirit Fury.

• JohnWeak
    JohnWeak Member Posts: 854

For the DbD half players, you know, those playing only one side and knowing nothing about the game :).

• Jasix
    Jasix Member Posts: 1,245

Psst I have played over 4k hours - with about 60% of that as killer. Please check my post history - I am a 50/50 killer who sides with killers and survivors on various issues. trying to paint me as a survivor main - shows your bias - not mine :)

• JohnWeak

Then explain us how you win against a 4 "Hold W" survivor team :).

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Fun fact 1

during Legion's 4 seconds fatigue the survivor can again gain 16 meters of distance (slightly less as you aren't complety immobile during the fatigue) so it is very much not a good option vs holding w.

Fun fact 2

Fun facts are rarely fun

• JohnWeak

On this forum, you will still have players going against the plain truth, with numbers and mathematics calculation.

In this community, some ppl are able to tell you that the earth is flat no matter the elements you will bring to prove that it's not.

Hold W is the most effective way to play as a survivor with some looping in-between to force the killer to loose time breaking a pallet.

I use it at high MMR and killers never catch me, they give up before catching up... If they don't give up, 3 to 4 gens will fly when they will end the chase.

• FengisKawaii
    FengisKawaii Member Posts: 309

You mean Myers, Ghostface, Pig, Plague, yes, Trapper, Freddy, Bubba, Phead and maybe someone I´m forgetting? A significant portion of the roster is utterly helpless against shift+W. It´s kinda bonkers how lame and effective it is.

• Jasix

Learn to use your powers as killer. Not saying that mean spiritedly.

I main Doctor, Pig, and Legion - only one of those has a movement advantage and I was rank 1 for 4+ years.

Oh and your Legion comment... Shows you do not play Legion.

I have no clue what killers you play or HOW you play, but if you find you are not having fun, are not doing well, etc with a specific killer - switch killers.

• JohnWeak

Brrr... i was able to go straight from Rank 20 to rank 1 with trapper without loosing once. Being rank 1 for 4 years doesn't mean anything. Survivors were total potatoes.

• Jasix

Fun fact - your math is wrong :) Legion still moves when fatigued at 2.07m/sec :) So survivors gain just under 8 meters UNLESS... fun fact you let them pallet stun you which immediately cancels frenzy with no fatigue. Just under 1,500 matches as Legion - so yeah I will take my experience over your erroneous math :)

Best way to use Frenzy to get a kill?? Beat them to the door/pallet/window - block - cancel Frenzy - attack! :)

People can make excuses or learn/adapt with each killer.

Let me clear: Holding W is a valid tactic just like camping and tunneling is a valid tactic. maybe stop focusing on how others play (killer and survivor alike) and focus on how you play. These idiotic threads about "metas"/tactics being bad/op are just that - idiocy. I don't give af what perks a killer or survivor uses, whether a killer tunnels or camps, whether a survivor holds W, What items survivors bring, what addons killers use, etc etc

Do I think Holding W is as "OP" as a lot of the killer mains on these forums like to portray - LOL No! Do I personally hold W?? If I need to get the killer away from a gen I got chased off - some - so someone else can go on it, but I will just hold W until I can find a good loop to run. I love when killers are so hyper focused on me or another survivor - because I know that we will win the match. As a new killer back in 2016 - I literally had a timer I would set so I did not stay in chase too long - because THAT is the problem with Holding W for killers - failing to recognize when to give up the chase.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

I still stand by my point that fan facts are rarely fun.

But fair lol, i did not know the exact movement speed of frenzy fatigue.

Thanks for sharing

• unluckycombo
    unluckycombo Member Posts: 582

...But a lot of Killers counter this?

Nurse and Spirit can pretty much just land on top of you whenever they want.

Blight has amazing speed to catch up with Survivors with- so do Billy and Oni. (Who can both also insta-down, negating the M1's entirely in some scenarios.)

Bubba also has insta-down capabilities, allowing him to negate the M1 issue.

Wraith is chugging speed these days and can catch up to Survivors- allowing him to body block them from certain structures, or just leave them and come back to get them later in worse spots. (Which is what every Wraith seems to do these days anyway.)

Hag doesn't want to chase outside of her web, so it doesn't really matter for her.

Trapper is somewhat similar to Hag- it doesn't matter how much distance you get if you step in a trap near him.

Huntress doesn't have a long cooldown between Hatchets, and can snipe from a distance. Plague can do something similar with Corrupt Purge up (Along with not having to worry about the speed boost issue as much due to making Survivors broken, if memory serves correctly.) Deathslinger can still snipe from a distance as well- even if it's not as well.

Viktor can out run a Survivor.

Myers and Ghostie, while not strong Killers by any means, also have insta-down capabilities.

And STBFL exists, allowing multiple hits quickly with max stacks.

Idk, I agree that holding W can be a crappy thing to verse depending on the Killer, but at the same time, I don't think it's awful? I mean, I just think it's a part of a Killer's job to also know when to drop chase or realize when they spent too long on something, and considering how many Killers that can quite literally ignore many aspects of it or don't really care, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

• JohnWeak

I play survivor & killer.

I know that when i hold W, most killers (high mmr) give up and stops the chase or they loose a ton of time.

As a killer, it's exactly the same, you see the survivor 18 meters away, you know you will need a ton of time to catch up. And then you will have to face a pallet loop. Well...

• Ramxenoc445
    Ramxenoc445 Member Posts: 1,358

Honestly just play ranged killers. Its much more worth

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

A lot of those teleport strats are circumstantial. But yeah, generally speaking the high tier killers and ranged killers can deal with it. I think the issue is more for the rest of the killers, fam.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452

Myers, Ghostface and Pig are stealth killers, you can't hold W against someone you do not see coming. Myers and Ghostface can also instadown so they halve chase time.

Plague is a borderline instadown killer with her infection, and Corrupt Purge is a ranged.

Bubba instadowns, if you have Chilli + Beast Marks you can literally catch up to a Sprint Burst.

The other ones do suffer more against holding W, but Freddy compensates that with his teleport and Pyramid is amazing at tunneling.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

Not to be on anyone's side but those maths aren't wrong, what the OP is basically saying is that hold W requires no skill for the value that it gives

• ThiccBudhha

Tell that to the Spine Chill users.

And their chase times are good, but you have to account for all the awkward set up and staring to even activate the instadowns. It is not like they are some wildly efficient killers.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452

Spine Chill only tells you the killer is approaching, it doesn't tell the direction. I play a lot of Ghostface and Wraith and the amount of times survivors literally run into me is astonishing.

Never said they were efficient, I'm just against people who say holding W is automatic win, instead of admiting they are simply not good with those killers.

• ThiccBudhha

Maybe I just get unlucky... I never get them to run into me. Like, ever.

It happens with Freddy for some reason. Never Ghostface. I think it happens on Wraith and Pig relatively frequently. I always assumed it was because she is so slow, or that he is so fast. Idk.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,173
    edited September 2021

What's the proposal for a solution?

Post edited by Marc_go_solo on
  • tennmio
    tennmio Member Posts: 354

Plus a smart player will just leave the chase and apply pressure to gens.

• Terrortot
    Terrortot Member Posts: 423

While true, objects block the path as well and getting near dead zones means arcing, while also possibly running through other survivors. Lack of pallets/safe areas as the game goes on also changes the distance you can really get from the killer.

The first chases can seem like eons though, I like to use that time to clear pallets/check for unsafe areas to zone survivors into later. Especially if that area becomes where the remaining gens are end game.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

Holding W has always been an option in this game

Only reason that people are taking it seriously now is because a certain influencer starting prattling on about it and the mindless masses are just parroting it.

Survivors need a way to widen the gap between hits, end of story. Deal with it.

• jokere98
    jokere98 Member Posts: 577

there is no talking about pallet stun in first post. There is talking about killer getting "stunned" after hiting survivor (weapon animation) and survivor gaining spring burst

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Not before Pig though. From all of this he devs probably find a reason to nerf pig first.

• Laurie268
    Laurie268 Member Posts: 573
    edited September 2021

All these complaints about holding W are stupid, what else are survivors supposed to do? Kindly wait at an unsafe loop for the killer to catch up?

Post edited by Laurie268 on
  • JohnWeak

Holding W is insta win with a coordinated team. You don't need more to win a game. If all 4 survivors hold W in every chases and the others are doing gens, it's a win, period.

There are so many SWF abusing it and when they end up in a jungle gym or in a loop they can't do anything and they are outplayed in 15 seconds. But by holding W, they can make the chase long enough to get the final win.

• JohnWeak
    edited September 2021

It's not parroting, every high skilled survivors and SWF uses it. In the evening in EU, at high MMR it's full of Hold W survivors and it works perfectly.

And no, it's the developers' job to force interactivity between both side and holding W is not and interaction, there is nothing fun about it.

Tell me where is the skill involved there ?

Chase are 50/60 seconds long. They have just hold W. All 4 survivors doing it in all chases ? 12 minutes without any mindgame or skill involved. Go straight forward.

How can you say it's healthy for the game ?

• JohnWeak

No he doesn't as most of the ppl replying "killers have to deal with it".

That's what is boring on this forum, ppl playing one side only and thinking that they know better than those who play both sides what is balanced or not, what is fair or not.

• JohnWeak
    edited September 2021

LEGION WILL OUTPACE

BRUH

Gunslinger has range. 1 hit sprint boost + 1 pallet to break, look at the distance between the killer and the survivor... continuing the chase is impossible.

• JohnWeak
    edited September 2021

Another one

And this survivor is really bad, bumping into walls and loosing a ton of time doing so.

This discussion has been closed.