EAC on Steam Deck / Proton / Linux

Comments

• sgtandrade
    sgtandrade Member Posts: 7

Why not just enable for Linux users to receive community support and feedback while developing needed stuff for Steam Deck?

• Stephen304
    Stephen304 Member Posts: 27

I would be 110% happy even without touch and gyro support. Though they are nice to haves, I just want to be able to play the game. As long as they make sure you don't have to whip out a keyboard to press space to get past the title screen or manually map the controls, I'm happy. There's a lot less that needs tweaking if you just use the existing console/controller mappings instead of trying to add support for touchpad, gyro, touchscreen, etc. None of that matters if you can't play due to EAC.

• ThePaint
    ThePaint Member Posts: 13

On the 6.0.0 PTB:

Good News! The game now loads up to the loading screen! It spits out a " Quit game - EAC client failed to initialize " error, but the game does actually start and it does go further than it did before ( aka hanging on the EAC loading screen ). This at least tells us that they are actively working on Proton support.

• nikodemo
    nikodemo Member Posts: 773

they didn't announce it today on the anniversary stream. :/ so i'm worried it still won't be soon. playing Killer on Stadia is horrible :(

• MBAdept
    MBAdept Member Posts: 14

Not such good news...this happened already before, if I remember correctly, about the time around the 5th anniversary time.

• 20PercentRendered
    20PercentRendered Member Posts: 6

That means they updated their EasyAntiCheat version. Which hopefully means once the update releases, they would enable EAC.

• ScoobyDoo
    ScoobyDoo Member Posts: 20

Well, that seems promising.

Not going to lie, I hope that the DbD Team just wants to make a surprise for Linux gamers by enabling the proper support with the release of the new chapter. Because the new killer looks quite exciting to play as/against. Not to mention the Twisted Masquerade.

• kizuati
    kizuati Member Posts: 1,386

Really waiting for DBD to be supported on Linux

• mandysuxx
    mandysuxx Member Posts: 41

I'm waiting on this to happen too, I had to switch from windows to ubuntu, and dbd is the only game on my library that is currently borked. Would be a superb anniversary surprise to it to work. :3

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,610

My next machine will most likely be based around SteamOS. It will certainly not have Windows.

• HatsuneCthulhu
    HatsuneCthulhu Member Posts: 12

Can you confirm whether DBD will be playable on Linux? That is seemingly the main topic of discussion here, but you seem to have been quite adamant about always saying specifically Steam Deck and not Linux.

• nikodemo

there's no difference.

Steam Deck is just a computer running Linux (specifically SteamOS.) if EAC is configured to work under Proton, it will work for all of us.

• HatsuneCthulhu

There is a difference, Steamdeck has a very specific linux kernel version, it's entirely possible to enable proton support for a game only on Steamdeck and not Linux as a whole, multiple developers have discussed it.

• MBAdept

The "specific Linux kernel" manages the input and the Steamdeck display drivers. All of that is included in SteamOS, which You can use next to a normal GNU/Linux-based OS.

However, since the Dead By Daylight engine is supported by Linux, the only issue there is the EAC. And I am quite upset how BHVR handles this, and I am even more upset how players and want-to-be-players-soon are treated here in this forum. This is a joke. A really bad one.

• HatsuneCthulhu

Still would be nice to get confirmation of whether they plan to tie the game to SteamOS/Steamdeck or whether they plan to enable it for Linux as a whole

• nikodemo

well, i'll just say this. if they were to take all the extra effort to unnecessarily lock the game to just Steam Deck, i will no longer play DbD.

i'm already not buying anything else until Proton support is enabled.

• ThePaint
    ThePaint Member Posts: 13

It would make no sense for them to make the game playable only on SteamOS, as the work they put into making the game proton-compatible will pay off more if they don't.

I also do not know of any game that has done this? If there are examples let me know, but there's legitimately no reason for any developer to do this.

• nikodemo

hey, i agree with you. but @HatsuneCthulhu seems very concerned.

i wouldn't worry too much about it. even if they did do something that dumb, the community would find a way around it pretty quick i'd imagine.

• MBAdept

Just read the posts from "mandytalk" in this thread or watch the totally shown ignorance on this topic at the developer´s stream three or four episodes ago.

From mandytalk, You might get something like "We already told You we will announce it in time, and there will be only support for Steamdeck" or something along this.

• nikodemo
    edited May 2022

i can't see a damn thing on Stadia. it's constantly stuttering and dropping frames.

please, i'm begging you, please turn this on. :(

• MBAdept

Here is the point: DBD already runs on Linux if You can avoid EAC. In doing a bit of a hack, some Users already were able to play the tutorials (or, as far as I remember, at least the "old" killer tutorial), but were unable to connect to other players.

So I am deeply afraid of -if they will start support SteamDeck support in this century...- other traps they might build to avoid GNU/Linux. Seems like nothing else but either pure laziness or freaking politics to me.

• Nuhamaru
    Nuhamaru Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2022

@MBAdept Well yes obviously. As I've stated in this thread before, DBD runs in STADIA which runs on linux but isn't requiring EAC. But there aren't really any traps they can or have a feasible reason to put anywhere. You can't expect it to necessarily run ootb when it's first released for proton but a mild amount of tinkering should do the trick.

• MBAdept

Yes, sorry. You are right. I forgot about You initial post.

• Nuhamaru

@MBAdept No reason to be sorry, it's been a long thread 😅

• nikodemo
    edited May 2022

Well, in point of fact for @HatsuneCthulhu 's concerns, apparently VHS beta is running on Steam Deck, but won't load on desktop Linux on other distros. i'm still waiting to hear from the VHS devs on whether this was intentional or an oversight.

Devs, I implore you, please do not do this.

@MandyTalk would you please confirm that the devs won't do this and put us at ease?

Post edited by nikodemo on
  • mandysuxx
    mandysuxx Member Posts: 41

I just can’t fathom why would they want to block Linux users other than steamOs? Am I a bad person not worth to have on the playerbase just because of my OS? What the heck?

• nikodemo

my hope is that it's just an oversight on the part of the VHS devs. but either way, it's not something i want repeated here.

• Nuhamaru

I believe that's due to the closed beta version that's been distributed on SteamOS which had Proton support however the new version doesn't. I met someone who ran it on Linux desktop (I believe it was Arch but not sure) during the closed beta

• nikodemo

i used to run it when they had a dedicated launcher. but now, with EAC enabled, it's only running on Steam Deck,

• nikodemo

Funny enough! VHS DOES work on desktop Linux if you use the Flatpak version of Steam!

• Vokhirion
    Vokhirion Member Posts: 6

Enough. I'm sick of waiting. They're just ignoring us can't u see? They may even trying to figure out how to play it on steamdeck without Linux support! I'll never buy anything bhvr products anymore! Yeah game is good but windows is not, and our purchases can't even close to their income from windows if there's a fund. I'm sick of it.

• nikodemo

They've said they're working on it, so all we can do is wait.

If you don't want to wait, it's ok to go play something else.

I'm giving them until the anniversary, but I'm already pivoting to VHS

• Vokhirion

They are "working on it" for the very long time. @MandyTalk is always mentioned 'Steamdeck' at their comments, not Linux! If there wasn't a thing like Steamdeck, or steam wasn't trying to support Linux, or Steamdeck wasn't trying to use Linux, they would completely ignore us. It is their maximum interest for us all. I don't think they will accept but still I requested to refund.

• nikodemo

well, thankfully Valve is pushing Linux, causing more widespread adoption and support. i'm grateful for that. but do what's best for you.

• Vokhirion

Well thanks, I hope they prove that I'm wrong and you can play it.

• nikodemo

Dredge update:

with Steam Native i was able to boot into the game this time, but the EAC client was not able to initialize.

i'm going to try installing the game under Steam Flatpak and see if there's any difference. will report back later.

ay, we're so close.

• nikodemo

ty, good to know.

sigh, maybe next time.

• ptibedo
    ptibedo Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2022

The game run now but said "eac cant instantiated" ! damm !

• PapaMikey
    PapaMikey Member Posts: 35

snails pace I guess...?

• nikodemo

one day, victory will be ours.

• Stephen304

So close yet so far :( at least I get 60fps lol. It's a shame I can't even get into a practice game while we wait for eac to be fixed.

• nikodemo

for real, i bet this game would run butter smooth on Linux once it's fixed.

Let me in! LET ME IIIINNNN! XD

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

Linux is opening the door to even more cheaters.

• nikodemo

Utter nonsense and propaganda. There's no correlation. Do more research.

• Stephen304

What a silly idea founded on the faults of client sided cheat detection. Any devs worth their reputation would implement server sided validation of perks, stats, player locations, visibility, and actions and be done with it. The fact that cheaters fly around the map show that the devs aren't doing the most they can, so focusing on the operating system the players use is a red herring and simply lazy.

• Pyc
    Pyc Member Posts: 97

bump! last few years I play only dbd. for play dbd (only) I need install win7 in dualboot. with every update I have more compatibility bugs w/ dbd and now dbd unplayable for me (not responding at start, I make 5-15 retries; fps drop to 10 when some gen fixed). cmon BHVR!

I donate (purchace skins) when dbd coming on linux