Why all the Freddy Nostalgia?

Options

I distinctly remember the entire community taking fat steaming dumps all over this killer, who was unequivocally declared the worst killer in the game

Now everyone reminisces about him despite the fact that he's 200% more viable in his current state, and he only ever beat SoloQs before.

Comments

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

I agree. Invisible Freddy was cool tho.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

I think it's mostly just the way the human brain works. Current Freddy's problems are front-and-center, as it were, whereas old Freddy's problems are far away in the past and therefore don't seem as important by comparison, since you're no longer being reminded of them.

• AhoyWolf
    AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,053
    Options

Because he was a unique Killer, no other Killer was even close to him in terms of gameplay uniqueness, even tho he was on a weaker side, a few simple buffs would in my opinion made him a viable Killer.

Now we are stuck with a Clown that can teleport to generators with currently the worst add-ons in the entire game.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,087
    Options

i wasn't active during that time. so all i know is i do like him now, but dang do i not like the snares and pallets.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

It mainly comes from the fact that what we got in return was lazy, uninspired and boring. New Freddy feels annoying to play as right now

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,611
    Options

I mained him and just enjoyed playing him. He doesn't have to be good to be fun, and tbf I'd much rather main someone for their fun value over their strength. He may have been weak, but I liked playing as him and that's all that really mattered.

New Freddy just felt- and feels- a lot more boring. He's still to me, don't get me wrong, but not even Pyramid Head to me is as fun as old Freddy.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

Personally I'd rather play something underrated that has interesting add on combinations than something that's boring and strong, and all their add ons are memes.

• Decarcassor
    Decarcassor Member Posts: 651
    Options

Well, Old Freddy was really bad, but he was unique and different from all the other killers.

But the uniqueness of Old Freddy was also part of why he was problematic. While playing him was woefull against strong survivors, he would also confuse the hell out of new players who didn't understand how is dream mechanics worked and suffered the most from his global tracking and slowdown.

Reworked Freddy is just another M1 killer and his skillset does not really leave much room for... skill expression, lets say. He also lost a lot of Nightmarish identity. As a result he is much easier to balance, but its not really hard to see why some players miss how he used to be.

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599
    Options

I never wanted the old Freddy to change. I found his gameplay unique and fun. I would lose 6-8 times and still have a blast.

They turned him into a boring m1 killer, and basically threw darts at a dart board for 2 other powers that they made weaker on release. Cross map teleport, but only to gens. Anti-loop, but snares you have to take time targeting and placing.

He went from being a unique killer to 3 killers combined into one master of none. Then because he was a swiss army knife, with ungodly annoying add-ons he just getting swatted with Nerfs. Making him even more boring to play.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Ancient Freddy was a macro killer. At a time where there were very few of them in the game.

In the sea of chase oriented micro killers it's hard not to be nostalgic to ancient Freddy

• Baby_Victor
    Baby_Victor Member Posts: 486
    Options

Uhhh Hello. Survivors complained and pushed for huge changes, if anything Freddy mains were just asking for tweaks (like usual) to help make him “more fair” for both sides, without fundamentally overhauling his whole kit. Their didn’t need to be a strong push back against the change because everybody knew he needed a lil help. So most Freddy Mains gave this new Freddy a fair shot….but the realization we lost a cool character because of an overreaction from BHVR did bring a push back. We did have a strong vocal opinion to re-add Old Freddy, even if he got no changes. To honestly see which was used more, add the ability to burn for Old Freddy or bring him back but with his traditional look (Robert England). It’s just, per usual BHVR didn’t care, didn’t communicate and double downed on another unwanted stupid change. No reason to say we’re reminiscing now lol, I’ve seen plenty of positive Old Freddy comments over my time here.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

macro killer

micro killers

Can you explain what this means?

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,784
    Options

Old Freddy was a mess, but he had a distinct flavour the new one doesn't have.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Micro killers

Killers who focus on winning chases fast with aid of their power, 1v1 killers bassically

Macro killers.

Killers who win by gathering information and playing the 4v1 game.

I would call killers like Pig, Legion and Pinhead macro killers for example. Who's power is about gathering information or occupying survivors without having to be near them

I honestly don't know why i used those terms. Maybe watched someone who called it that recently.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 12,994
    Options

Because watching 2 slugs have a battle to the death is more interesting than playing fredrick kroger

• [Deleted User]
    Options

From what i can tell old freddy had a more unique playstyle, but the rework version just feels like a m1 killer with chasing abilities and map pressure. So, less original, but he's much more viable.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    Options

He's much better now. Was a crusty turd before.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

The worst part about old Freddy was going against selfcare and adrenaline, and both are much less popular now.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,054
    Options

He was very unique, and I'd argue his old version wouldn't be as bad now as it was back then. Survivors are much weaker now.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923
    Options

Intresting weak killer VS really boring mediocore killer. Trying to learn what has wonky collosion is more fun than Freddy

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,238
    edited September 2021
    Options

^ This.

Old Freddy was extremely unique in design. All he needed was some tweaks to fix him, he didn't need a full rework.

I also wouldn't say most people disliked old Freddy. Most the screaming about old Freddy was from low rank/bad players who his kit was more challenging on. This could have been fixed without a rework. I'd argue most people actually overall liked old Freddy design wise, they just thought he needed some tweaks.

New Freddy is just a boring m1 killer with nothing unique about him and just abilities basically scrapped from other killers.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,060
    Options