The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Penalize Camping Killers

Comments

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

Yes and no. There's definitely been an upsurge in camping killers. At least in my games. I can't even be mad, it's what the system tells them to do.

• R2k
    R2k Member Posts: 1,069

Make it so survivors have shared BP pool. It's quite good reward for those who don't quit or dc and keep hitting skill checks on hook.

I think if u get for example 15-20k instead of 4k u won't be so mad about it.

Currently there's is no way to force killers move away cause killing survivors is base mechanic.

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939

There seems to be an explosion of Killers that camp to grief since the SBMM dropped. Last evening I played with a friend (but we play like 2 Solo survivors. We don't use coms or anything). 7/9 matches, Killers either literally facecamped or camped and unabashedly tunneled at 4-5 gens. That left 2 matches that you think would be normal, but no. I had probably the crummiest Twins match ever, where the Killer did nothing but constantly slug with Victor. Never hooked anyone. The entire point was to slug all 4 and leave them to bleed out. 2 people disconnected on that one, the Killer still wouldn't hook my friend or me if they downed us, NO gens were done. It was miserable.

Only normal match I had was against a Legion.

These Killers were leaving the matches with less than 20k blood points. Sometimes less than 15k. They don't care about BPs. Every match there would be a disconnect or hook suicide. Many times two.

Against one Deathslinger, after 2 people disconnected (he would just stand on the basement stairs and aim for anyone attempting to save so everyone killed themselves), I was the last survivor and he downed me, then just shot at me constantly for the entire bleed out timer.

So I conclude these players know exactly what they're doing. They're purposely being "toxic" for no other reason than they want to be. My friend and I, and the Solos we're matched with were just engaging in normal game play (no teabagging, no clicky*clicky flashlights, no poor behaviour at the Killer).

Game should be renamed "Camp Till Daylight".

Before the SBMM, camping was annoying, but at the very least if you managed to get to red ranks you had team mates who were more likely to know how to handle it, and it would be less frequent because Killer wouldnt want to depip. I find with the Grade system, no one cares. Hell, even I don't care about the Grades. The "reward" for getting to Iri 1 is a pittance. I just feel like people tried harder or strived more with the old rank system because it gave them a goal. and it felt like it meant something.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I haven't noticed anything and I've been playing way more Survivor lately.

Although, my average match with a camping Killer is significantly longer than one without, on average. That could be something to track.

• lordfart
    lordfart Member Posts: 538

Are you new

• Pulsar

We aren't discussing "proxy" camping.

We are talking about facecamping specifically. The people who get an early down and plant themselves like a tree and refuse to leave.

Those guys.

• Pulsar

You need to quote me if you want me to respond, just a heads-up.

How is it toxic?

• Eli2020
    Eli2020 Member Posts: 79

Idk why it didn't quote like the last three people I talked to.

Because it prevents gameplay of a player, that makes the action toxic and taking advantage of game mechanics. Never had gens pop so fast that a killer didn't get to play.

• Eli2020

Ah yes well in online matches it's a little hard to do wheb someone is hooked and you gotta save them because no one else is getting off a gen.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

If the killer is camping, you shouldn't be rescuing at all. You're just feeding at that point, like going 1v5 in a MOBA.

• Eli2020

Are you really going to act like killers don't have perks that make people easy to find right at the start if they are close enough, lying here is pointless because I use ine so know they work. How else would they be knocking people down so fast at the start? Lol you can't talk your way out of toxic behaviour when body blocking is body blocking. It is still taking advantage of game mechanics to keep a player from gaming and shoukd be treated as such with a penalty. Stay mad when there are a ton of other ways to get rid of survivors without controlling one person's whole game.

• Eli2020

The game did. Literally defines the behaviour as body blocking then in the fine print killers are allowed. That's toxic because of how much people use it and still devs ignore that it's a real problem for people who just wanna play a public match.

Also taking advantage of game mechanics but again killers get a pass which they should get penalized for if survivors do. At least on the facing which again, is the most interruptive and keeps one person from gaming but if we vault too much it'll get blocked. Same thing only killers don't get stopped from doing the same type of toxic as that.

• Eli2020

Rescuing is apart of the game, dying because someone toxic wants to be a problem insead of an active player is not. It's taking advantage of the game and when survivors are blocked from vaulting if they do it too much then killers surely can not guard a hook and get penalized in a similar way if they do.

• Pulsar
    edited October 2021

Where does it say that? Can you show me? Facecamping isn't the same thing as bodyblocking, by the way. Bodyblocking is when a Survivor (or Killer) traps another Survivor in a position where they cannot escape from and they refuse to either down them or move. Hook camping is not even close to the same thing. You are extremely biased.

Yeah, if you vault too much, it gets blocked to prevent infinites.

How experienced are you in the game? No judgement or anything, just curious.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

I'm not talking about proxy camping either, in fact I don't think proxy camping exists, adding the hook to your gen patrol is just smart, as you can probably guarentee at some point there will be two survivors at the hook, that's half your opponents, to just up and run away from that is foolish.

The point I was making is that it doesn't matter when or how someone may start to camp you its just silly to assume its malicious and to get upset about it.

It is kinda crummy to hang on the hook for your whole game, but I think the solution is rather than call for punisments and convoluted new game mechanics why not just compensate the person on hook.

Lets say a generous BP counter that keeps ticking upwards if the killer is within 10-20m of the hook while you hang on it, emblem points for distracting the killer if they spend longer than X in the radius of the hook so you aren't downgrading as a result of being camped.

This is an idea that really doesn't punish anyone it just rewards people for being camped.

Well it may punish in that it undermines those who might camp meliciously by generously rewarding those they are camping.

Checks a lot of boxes I reckon - rewards people being camped, isn't really exploitable to the detriment of the killer, doesn't have to radically change the game design.

• Pulsar

People will never go for that because it isn't about the Emblems or the BP to them.

They just don't want to spend the game on the hook.

No solution will satiate people unless it involves them not being on the hook.

• Eli2020

It is STILL taking control of another person's game and you can find it in the report section in game.

Been watching it for a long time because my friends played and streamed it often. Only been playing for a couple months but if you're trying to imply I haven't seen enough to know it's a real problem then that would not be the case. Both experience and watching say it's clearly toxic because it's over used. They stopped survivors from vaulting for the same reason so why wouldn't they do the same for facers.

• Eli2020

Also I really don't care about campers and tunnelers. I've said it before it's frustrating but those aren't enough to keep me from playing a whole match.

Facers do in fact do that and that's why it's toxic. Players are not supposed to be taking control of a game, they are supposed to be playing it.

• pseudechis

Yeah I guess you are right.

But it seems so strange as the hook is a core mechanic of the game, I queue up as survivor with the understanding that I may spend the game hanging on a hook.

If that's the case I'd rather distract the killer all game with it than just hang there and die because nobody bothered to rescue me.

• pseudechis
    edited October 2021

I've face camped people plenty of times, its one of the best ways to make sure you get that hook swap. I don't think I've ever done it maliciously its just easier to block survivors trying to get the unhook and get that first early hit in or a grab if they time it wrong.

Other good options are blocking stairs or path up the hill, its basically face camping but maximising the likelyhood you'll get those hits before the unhook.

When it wasn't possible for survivors to unhook if the killer stood there that was a problem, but that's been fixed by rotational unhooking. Its a high risk game of timing now and can be quite nail biting.

• Pulsar

No it isn't. Do you really want me to get the link to the reportable offences page? They specifically say camping isn't reportable.

Define a long time. Obviously less than 3 years. You were completely unfamiliar with WHY Entity-blockers are a thing and no, it's not to stop Survivors from being toxic

• Pulsar

I mean, I would too. But this isn't an argument you can win logically, unfortunately.

It feels ######### to hang all game and not do anything else, so people want it removed.

• Eli2020

LMFAO ok dude keep acting like it's not the same but it is and it is toxic. Keeping someone from playing the game is still what is written in game reporting. They can do it to survivors and they defined it themselves then ignore it. You were planning to undermine me based off experience from the second you asked the first time then bent yourself into pretzels to still run face first into my point. Killers who face aren't penalized and that should change because it is broken like the vaulting was.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Okay, then report them and watch as they get penalized. Totally.

• Eli2020

You can get the link all you want, them allowing it is the problem BECAUSE it is controlling the game. Using the rules we want fixed because it's not encompassing killers who abuse it is moot. Stay mad it should be penalized and no amount of acrobatics can change it just because you wish it wasn't the case.

• pseudechis

What would they replace it with though?

People also hate bleeding out, dieing quickly from moris.

I just strikes me that people will only be satisfyed if escape is guarenteed and they never die. By that point though you no longer even have a game maybe some kind of never ending scooby doo loop chase. Without the threat of dieing on hook what's the point of the chase?

• Eli2020

You mean exactly why they need to fix it? Lol Rip because it's controlling the game and should be penalized for the toxic behaviour it is. Acting like it isn't because you wanna do it is your problem, it keeps people from playing. Stay mad at facts I guess lol

• ThiccBudhha

I am not mad. As I stated earlier, I believe the survivors are the ones preventing you from playing the game. Not the killer.

I have never had an issue getting someone off a hook and I am about as bad at survivor as anyone could possibly get.

I just don't understand what you want. You argue face camping is a reportable offense, and now you are arguing they never punish for it, which implies that perhaps Pulsar was correct and it isn't a reportable offense. If you just want them to ban for it, I am afraid that will never happen and there is really no use in getting worked up about it.

Like, seriously, how many times to you encounter this? Lol.

• Eli2020

Do you not know what thread you're in or what? The whole thing is about how they should be penalized for toxic behaviour.

Which is what face camping is because it hijacks the game.

• Pulsar
    edited October 2021

I wasn't actual going to shame you for being new. That's not really my style.

Instead, I simply had you demonstrate that you don't actually care about the facts of the matter at hand. You only think of one perspective and that's clearly your own. It's plainly clear to anyone looking at your comments.

Now, if you'd like to start discussing this again, this time in goos faith, then by all means, do so. However, if you'd like to continue to say, "I don't like it so it's toxid because I said so" then I'm not particularly interested in such uninformed discussion.

Either way, I'm going to bed, I'll deal with this when I've slept for 2 hours.

• ThiccBudhha

But I, like the developers, simply fail to see the problem. I think it is more or less just you, fam. I hope you get what you want, sincerely... I am just thinking that the chance is not overly high.

• Pulsar

I dunno.

You see it in both sides. Some Killers just want to 4K bots all day and they are perfectly happy. Some Survivors just want to have push-over Killers to bully.

I like a winnable challenge. I like to feel like I always have a chance.

• fixdeadhard
    fixdeadhard Member Posts: 134

Why not simply make a system that depends on amount of gens finished, it should just punish camping very hard early game, this way the killer cant deny the first survivor to actually play the game, it also counters the killers that want to camp the first survivor real quick to get an ez game for the rest of the match, it also counters that the 3 other survivors dont just have an m1 game while the killer is waiting for the first survivor to die. (doing gens agaisnt a facecamper is no counter... its litterly just not playing the game, not the killer not the survivors, the match becomes an actual m1 generator simmulator.) Just make the penalty smaller when more gens are completed, disable it if 2 gens total are completed or whatever but at least do something about these early campers.

I remember a guy playing leatherface that downed the first survivor in 20seconds and hard facecamped the first second he was hooked without any1 around, i checked his profile and he had 1000+ PAGES!! of comments on his profile back to 2016 that he was doing this same thing. people want to have fun playing games, why do 10000's of people have to experience this just for 1 guy his own fetish.

BHVR is slow at everything they do but does it rly have to take 5+ years for a huge design flaw to be addressed? it cant be that hard to make 1 of the systems (the many systems they claim to have but didnt work out) generator dependend, its litterly just a number check...

• R2k
    R2k Member Posts: 1,069

Because good survivors can finish 5 gens by time 1 dies assuming u didn't get down in first 10 sec and can run at least for half a minute. But weaker survivors always want to nerf everything to make it even more survivor sided.

• ThiccBudhha

That one guy's fun is just as important as 10,000 cry babies. Their fun matters too, but they had their chance when they were first chased.

• pseudechis

Yeah true. Depends a lot on motivation to play I guess.

As killer or survivor I like a thematic game where the killer is threatening and it feels like a horror story. If I hang on a hook for the duration of that it doesn't really bother me.

But if you like the competitive interaction and the chase then a game spent on hook would suck.

Queue time plays a lot into it as well if you wait 10mins to hang on hook all game.

Problem is most suggestions to "fix" camping would be exploitable so you replace it with a new mechanic but that mechanic would still have to be just as threatening as dieing on hook to add any thrill to the chase and as such would probably be just as lamented as the current options.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Penalise 360° juking survivors

• Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285

Camping is just as fun as being sent to Haddonfield or Badham and having all gens done in 5 minutes while you're breaking pre-dropped pallets. I'm all for changing camping, but not while survivors still have way more power than killers.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

Guess who else is more punished than that? the camped survivor.

• fixdeadhard
    fixdeadhard Member Posts: 134
    edited October 2021

no, the game isnt just about 1 chase and then its gg, and no 1 guys fun is not as important as the 10000 "crybabies"...

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • illusion
    illusion Member Posts: 885

I'm all for punishing killers who face-camp, to an extent, but I don't think that it should be enough to reward stupid survivors who refuse to do gens when the killer is camping. The number of times I have seen my entire team go down to a camping killer is ridiculous. Doing gens is the best way to punish the killer for face-camping. Bad form not to rescue your teammate? They should understand. Plus, if all survivors were consistent about it, those killers would realize it is a bad strategy. As long as players feed into it, it becomes a good strategy. Instead of getting one kill, they get 3 or 4 because some people just can't resist trying to make a rescue attempt when it is clear it can't be done. They either get downed themselves, or waste so much time trying that the person on the hook dies and gens weren't getting done, allowing the killer to rinse and repeat. If I am on a hook being face-camped, you better be doing gens. Make my sacrifice worth something. Punish them for using that tactic.

• Artick
    Artick Member Posts: 623

As the game designers pointed out, in theory, that works, in practice it does not. It takes a long time for solos to realize someone is face camped so they don't get much gen progress.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,695

if a killer is camping, the best way you're gonna punish them is by rushing out the gens and leaving.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,695

if I'm the hooked survivor than it's worth it if my teammates can escape.