Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Will DBD be banned from Steam due to the NFTs?

HealsBadMan
HealsBadMan Member Posts: 1,122
edited October 2021 in General Discussions

Steam publicly announced they will ban all games that deal with NFTs or crypto from their platform.

BHVR just announced that they are officially making Pinhead NFTs and posted about it on Twitter today.

Will Steam eventually ban the game from the platform? What will happen to all the data on the accounts of people who play via Steam? Will the game move to a new launcher soon? Barring how you feel about NFTs, the fact is that the oncoming clash between Valve and BHVR will cause some issues for the game and Steam players. Mods/Devs, the community needs some reassurance or information on the situation soon. Thank you for what you do for the game, and I hope to hear back from you all soon.

Update: Steam's Hellraiser DLC Reviews as of 10/18/21 10:30pm PST

Make your voice heard. #DeadByBoycottNFTs

Post edited by HealsBadMan on

Comments

• legacycolt
    legacycolt Member Posts: 1,684

Omg I’m actually scared…

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

Probably not. I dont even know how anyone can really think that, it is not like the Devs (or whoever made the decision) are stupid.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,610

My understanding is that Steam's new rule is more about games which generate/actively contain NFTs, rather than games made by companies who partnered with a different company who made an NFT?

But hey, who knows. This was a stupid move and they might end up paying for it by being booted off Steam- I don't want that but I can't say they wouldn't deserve it.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,519

It is probably not going to happen, but there is a risk.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,955

unfortunately I think they found a loophole, buying the NFT will just "buy" you the chapter and give you extra goodies that are not available in the game

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

Might reduce some hackers/cheaters though lol.

But doubt the devs would over look that, plus I believe just the chapter would be void on steam if so

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

Could be possible, could not be possible.

But I have the feeling that some people think that BHVR did an oopsie and overlooked it. Which will not be the case.

• Kira15233
    Kira15233 Member Posts: 473
  • Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,444

Console players wouldn't be affected by this and I don't think Steam deletes games from accounts, even if the game itself leaves Steam. I have a friend who owns Guild Wars 1 on Steam, which was available there only very briefly. Still in the library, could still be downloaded (probably, I haven't asked him to check that).

So IF Dbd gets kicked off Steam the existing playerbase would remain the same, minus everyone who quit(s) because of NFTs. I don't think the NFT situation in Dbd violates the Steam policy because it's a separate company doing it, but then again this whole situation is pretty unprecedented as far as I can tell (in terms of video games + NFTs, not Dbd specifically) so maaaaaybe Valve will set a precedent here? To stop other companies from bypassing the Steam NFT policy by "outsourcing" the NFT stuff to a separate company.

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,893

I don’t know DBD on pc is like taking out the Death Star once DBD on PC is done there is no recovery they can’t come back

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

I just wish we could get some clarification on if they're moving platforms or not, I'm not purchasing another thing until they explain themselves, if I'm gonna lose everything I've got in game then they need to come out and say it, it's total bullshit to leave your player base hanging when an event is about to start

• Madjura

The thing is that technically you could avoid the Steam NFT ban by having it run through a separate company. From the information that's available it doesn't sound like BHVR is profiting off the NFTs, so it's probably fine, but at the same time I could see Valve wanting to set a precedent.

• Madjura

You can get DLC codes through an NFT partnership, AND the NFT company was provided the keys by the developers, so I agree this might actually get the game banned after all. I don't know how this whole key business works but most likely BHVR didn't have to pay for the keys they gave to the NFT company, which means technically Valve lost out on money that was then indirectly given to an NFT company.

This is certainly an interesting situation. The Steam NFT ban is very recent (I think from last week Friday or so?) but the Dbd NFT deal has been in the works for months (according to the official Dbd Twitter). They almost certainly haven't planned for this or known about the Steam NFT ban in advance but because of contractual obligations they had to go through with the NFT deal anyway.

• Thr_ust
    Thr_ust Member Posts: 481

From what other comments are implying they may have seen something along these lines coming since they are supposedly working with epic now.

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495
    edited October 2021

Bhvr didn't do anything, it was the license holders using Bhvr's assets. Bhvr is in the clear, but if the current owners tried doing anything on steam they would be in trouble.

Bhvr is fine

Edit: Ignore this. Disregard this message completely.

• slendermansmoom
    slendermansmoom Member Posts: 544
    edited October 2021

why though

you would be happy to see steam take money away from over 300,000 players

20$ plus all cosmetics, rift passes, dlc, cells, and all the ranks and limited items earned

if they don't do something fast we steam players will lose all of are stuff

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209

I have to imagine that at least someone at bhvr has a brain and talk to a legal team about this and probably contacted steam as well, cause there is no way those NFT's revenue would be worth getting banned from the platform but giving bhvr the benefit of the doubt is probably too much so who knows honestly.

• nikodemo
    nikodemo Member Posts: 773

no, it's not going to happen. don't listen to dumb internet drama.

• Madjura

No one who owns Dbd would lose anything. Games are removed from Steam all the time, if you own them before they are removed you keep everything and can still download them whenever, including DLC. The only thing that actually gets removed is the option to purchase the game.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

I'm sorry. I know I'm a dinosaur to a lot of you, but what is a NFT?

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

First they say they won't do nft crap, now they say they don't, and it will cost them their main userbase because steam will ban the game. nice

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

Given the way Steam's support system works, we can't even ask them about it directly T_T

• slendermansmoom
    slendermansmoom Member Posts: 544
    edited October 2021

but to sum it up it's a crypto currency that makes it so when you buy something using it you own it but can't keep it

there will be only one original that the owner owns

you just buy the rights to say you own it

dbd is selling the pinhead model to other people and that is a VERY BIG no no when it comes the the licensing agreement between hellraiser/steam and BHVR

• HealsBadMan
    HealsBadMan Member Posts: 1,122

Additionally, what I find ridiculous about it is that NFTs can be just about anything. I can screenshot a reply to a Tweet and sell it as an NFT if I wanted to. Now how is that a balanced or even sensible kind of currency in general, much less crypto?

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

The more important question: can and will we get refunds for stuff we bought on steam, as these are special circumstances

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209

I don't know how much money bhvr is making off these NFT's but How can it be worth not only being kicked off the largest PC platform by a large degree but also losing so much player trust