We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Do you like the new survivor portraits?

Aurelle
Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

So with the mid chapter release, some of the survivors got new portraits (Kate, Nea, David, Jake, Quentin, and Feng).

Personally, I hate the new portraits. They look very out of place and downgraded compared to the older ones.

Do you like the new survivor portraits?

Do you like the new survivor portraits? 77 votes

Yes
11%
SasukeKunJawsIsTheNextKillerNoOneKnowsNovaVenusaXornedgeHex_IgnoredEmerald_DoctorOnis_Spit_HolderClxde 9 votes
Maybe
18%
CamoRangerOnryosTapeRentalsVolantConch1719kaeruDimekRigbetaSloppyJalopylandromatBenOfMilamAVNRJNDPSPDBDudeShakeyGames 14 votes
No
58%
TapeKnotblue4zionanarchy753BabyCameron10GreyCatTragicSolitudeAven_FallenxEaGuertenaFreddy96musstang62ElikUistreelElusivePukkaDr_LoomisAhoyWolfShapedanonymous31337GeneralVMooks 45 votes
Other
11%
GibberishSeiko300kodiakySebaOutbreak[Deleted User]ElcopolloTheEntityNeaTricksters_WifeR2k 9 votes

Comments

• R2k
    R2k Member Posts: 1,069
    Other

Can someone explain what changed?

• cracker
    cracker Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2021
    No

They changed the portrait looks of Feng, David,Kate, jake, nea and Quentin in the survivor selection. In my opinion i prefered the old portraits and dont like the new ones as much they look really un-uniform.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    edited October 2021
    No

It doesn't look remotely professional.

• AVNR
    AVNR Member Posts: 6
    Maybe

David, Kate, fang, and jake all look ridiculous and should be combed back closer to their originals, everyone else looks fine.

• AhoyWolf
    AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,121
    No

The lack of shadows and extremely sharp edges make them look awful.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,785
    edited October 2021
    Yes

Hate Davids but I love the rest of them.

• Elcopollo
    Elcopollo Member Posts: 768
    Other

Quenquen and Jake are great. Nea is looking much better too.

No comment on David, Min and Kate tho. Ew.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,704
    No

they're ugly

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    Other

I haven't seen them as I haven't had the time to get in game, and I probably won't have that time for the next few days, could somebody post a screenshot?

• SasukeKun
    SasukeKun Member Posts: 1,858
    Yes

why the ######### would you want those ugly ass portrait's returned? maybe your eyes just have them singed into your retinas like me and anything looks odd

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,824
    No

I remember seeing a few comments about it during the PTB, but I was like, "That's a very minor thing -- how bad can it actually be?" and then I loaded in today to see the Rift and LMAO.

I've never thought the portraits are a great representation of what the characters actually look like, but these ones are as if you tried to make them look worse.

• Guertena
    Guertena Member Posts: 392
    No

Not at all, I rather old ones.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,874
    No

David King 🤢

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    No

These are what the portraits look like now:

Only Kate, Nea, David, Jake, Quentin, and Feng's portraits were changed so far.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited October 2021
    Other

I won't say they look worse necessarily, undoubtedly they're higher res images of the survivors themselves.

I think the problem is that the art style is so undoubtedly disjointed from the other survivors of the cast that the result is they seem so completely and utterly out of place. That contrast is what's ugly and disgusting, not really how each survivor appears individually.

Although on a side note, I will say that the lighting the survivors seem to share across all of them looks worse on the new portraits. It makes them appear as though they're glistening, like they're slick with some kind of oil / sweat, or that they're plastic and look like a figure as a collector's item.

Though I get why the dev team is doing it- since they've updated the character models that are used in game they've got to update the portfolio images as well, it was especially noticeable for characters like Jake and Nea- their faces and hair changed completely to the point that you might not recognize them as the same character between the portfolio picture and how they actually appear in game.

But yes, I do see the problem here.

EDIT: I think the worst one has gotta be Feng Min because of the hair. I think the dev team should maybe reconsider just straight up porting the models into the portfolio's, I think there's nothing wrong with having an artistic representation of each character that isn't 100% representative of how they appear in game. Just similar enough to provide the unique details of each character which make them identifiable. This is partly why people tinker with the game files to mod the icons for perks, items, and characters as well- they have unique art styles which make them attractive options if you want to mess with how the game is visually presented.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    No

They're crap, mate.

I mean look at David. Looks like he's been stung by a load of bees.

• DBDude
    DBDude Member Posts: 308
    Maybe

"And that's why you don't eat raw chicken folks"

Said David King right after the portrait rework probably.

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,224
    Maybe

I like Jake and Nea, mostly like Quentin (just needs some lighting adjustments), am neutral on Min and Kate (they're fine on their own, just not next to all the others), and hate David (there is no fixing him other than going back).

• SebaOutbreak
    SebaOutbreak Member Posts: 399
    edited October 2021
    Other

Mixed bag for me. For example, Quentin's portrait is spot on, and of course the old one didn't do the new one justice, at all. Jake looks good too. Great change here.

Then you have David, who looks like a completely different person. Or Feng, whose portrait looks like it was made by one of those random modders from the community who changes in-game portraits but they look out of place.

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568
    edited October 2021
    Maybe

Models are fine. I think they ######### up the lighting. Classic renders have counter light from behind. New portraits looks like they lighted only at front so it looks out of place. I also don't like the shine on Kate's hair. But her new face looks prettier. Previous Kate's face was little bit uglier.

Overall new models remind me faces from Japanese 3d games like Dead or Alive. Probably because of very clean face textures.

• landromat
    landromat Member Posts: 2,193
    Maybe

Only David portrait is terrible. Everything else is fine

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773
    No

They would be fine with some polish.

All except david. #########

I saw them on the PTB and was like "eh its early, they'll be polished on live"

why do i let myself believe things I know aren't gonna happen...?

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,879
    Yes

Quentin is hot. Shame what they did to David though. He really needs a paper bag cosmetic for his head now.

• TheEntityNea
    TheEntityNea Member Posts: 23
    Other

The in-game portraits is fine. But why did they also change it in the survivor portraits??

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108
    No

Poor quentin, there is nothing left of what he was