I need some help

I need help for a friend so here is the backstory. My friend went out and left his PC on for an urgent issue and he has a Grade A butthole of a brother and they get into back and forth all the time. Well when get got home he saw his brother playing on his computer and saw a program open which his brother closed out of when my friend opened his door. He asked why was he on his computer that he wasn't allowed plus he has his own his brother got up said nothing but had a smile upon his face. My friend then went to his computer didn't see anything out of the ordinary at first until I called him to ask how he was playing Dead by Daylight if he left this was several hours ago. He tells me his brother got on his computer probably playing it so he opened steam to check out stuff there to notice he has some achievements he didn't get so he ask his brother what did he do that there was no way he got some of these achievements his brother smiled and didn't reply so while we were in chat I tried to help him figure it out and ended up finding a folder on his computer called S.A.M having no idea what it was he opened it to find out what it stood for which was Steam Achievement Manger. We then looked up what it was and is it an issue which after 30 or so mins reading that it's not a problem people use it almost daily for games we ended up coming across a forum where someone asked can they use it for Dead by Daylight and the replies got us worried since his brother used that to get the achievements which he probably googled to find out it can get him banned from the game what can he do who can he contact because he has put so much time and money into the game he doesn't want to be banned for something he didn't do nor did he even want. I told him to go chill and I would come ask the community about this I hope to get some advice on what to do about the situation.

Comments

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047
    edited October 2021

tl;dr

Friend left PC, brother manually gave himself achievments, OP nervous about ban.

Do I have that right?

• BigKuhfahl
    BigKuhfahl Member Posts: 70

All I can say is you have a twisted brother to pull some BS like that on you JS

• HexMyersLullaby
    HexMyersLullaby Member Posts: 2

Yes that's pretty much the sum of it since we have looked it up that it seems that the majority of people said that it can and other people say that they haven't. My friend has no idea all I'm trying to do is get help for him

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,154

There is probably nothing to be done because your friend themselves are responsible for the accessibility of their PC at home.

Also when such a tense relationship is known, then they should've either locked their PC behind a password or shut it down. Especially when leaving for several hours just thinking about the electricity bill.

I heard of similar cases in other games when a family member plays on their account and behaves toxic or uses cheats and the account is banned.

There is no way to proof the involvement of another person on the owners system and the responsibility of leaving it on and unsecured lies ultimately with the owner.

• Nayru
    Nayru Member Posts: 567

so he's not allowed on the computer that apparently isn't passworded against being accessed + was logged into an extremely valuable steam account

okay

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

How come you have to ask and not your friend?

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,978

A persons account is their responsibility - they are responsible for the security of it. If anything has been done that leads to a game ban, it still falls on the account holder.

That's all we're able to answer with regards to bans.

This discussion has been closed.