Halloween Kills for someone who dislikes slasher films but loved Halloween 2018: Yay or nay?

TAG
TAG Member Posts: 12,871

Tl;dr - Slasher films make me uncomfortable (DBD does not because...well, it's pretty dang unconvincing :P ), but I really liked Halloween 2018 (I also like OG Halloween). For anyone who's seen Halloween Kills, do y'all think I'm likely or unlikely to enjoy it with these facts in mind?

Comments

• Jarol
    Jarol Member Posts: 1,985

It's just filler and adds almost nothing to the main plot of the trilogy, instead focusing as the producer put it, on Haddonfield. In how Michael Myers is becoming more real and immortal the more he kills. It may be enjoyable to see it but in my honest opinion for me. I did not like.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

It's more about how Michael's murders are affecting the town of Haddonfield than the Strode family and sets up Halloween Ends. Michael himself is absolutely insane in Kills, he was definitely the highlight. If you liked the OG Halloween, you will probably love the beginning of this movie.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,137

I watched Halloween (2018) and Halloween Kills last night. I liked Halloween. I didn't like Halloween Kills.

Halloween Kills is full of annoying dialogue/sermonizing, forced characters, ridiculous setups, and other such nonsense that exist to push a narrative that could have been interesting if it had been written competently. That's my own opinion, though.

It's not really much of a slasher movie despite Michael killing. Many scenes are loud and contain large groups of people. A lot of it feels and/or looks like it was written to appear in the movie's trailer.

Halloween Kills is not like any other Halloween movie or even any other slasher movie I can think of, so there's really nothing to go by in terms of whether or not you'll like it.

• TAG

Halloween Kills is not like...any other slasher movie I can think of

Can you elaborate on this part for me, if it isn't too much trouble? How is Halloween Kills different from other slasher movies?

• TragicSolitude

Most slasher movies are about a killer terrorizing a group of people, often picking them off one by one. Halloween Kills doesn't really have that. Michael kills entire groups of people in a single scene like he's John Wick or something.

The main narrative of Halloween Kills is the way Michael Myers is affecting Haddonfield. The people become obsessed with him, turning their fear into a "kill the beast!" tunnel vision. The way he affects the town goes beyond the murder of a person or person(s) and becomes mass hysteria. Like I said in my first post, many of the scenes are loud and feature large groups of people. It's not much of a slasher movie, more like an action movie with horror window dressing.

• TAG

Hm...I see. That is an interesting way to describe. Thank you very much for your insight.

• TragicSolitude

Np. If you end up watching the movie, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Everyone gets something different out of a film, so your take could be completely different than mine.

• Vampwire
    Vampwire Member Posts: 709

I did like the movie except for one part.

spoilers btw

I didn't like the part where the asylum guy killed himself. Not because it was disturbing but because of the aftermath of it. The message of it was clearly showing how mental illness is treated in society. They see the asylum guy as Micheal because its easier to pin it on him then actually deal with Micheal. They drive a man who just wanted help to take his own life. It was a good message. Then they're just like "okay lets kill micheal now" not even 5 minutes later. Literally a minute after the dude jumps theyre back to the main story. So it really killed the impact of an important topic and turned it into filler.

Another thing would be some of the dialogue is clunky like "You came home Micheal". The same dude who said that just had his husband killed and he's like "Oh this would be perfect to say to the hulking death machine right in front of me". There has to be a level of realism to the dialogue and not just "hnnnng im so edgy im ######### edging rn hnnnng".

• TragicSolitude
    edited October 2021

I hated that they did that. That whole scene with such a tragic ending, and then everyone turns around and forgets it, it has no lasting impact on the characters in the movie: the impact and meaning of it is for the audience only. The dialogue is the same way. "You came home, Michael." A lot of the dialogue sounds like it's written specifically to be in the trailer or at least is directed at the audience. (And Tommy never shuts up. I couldn't stand him. Tommy's not a character: from the start he's a personification of the attitude the director is warning against. He's a walking disease that spreads to everyone else.)

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703

If you liked 2018 you should like this.

Beware however that it is far more gory, in fact it's the goriest film of the entire Halloween franchise. Very much a kill-fest.

I enjoyed it and the violence...but then I am a desensitised fella.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,695

that "you came home Michael" scene was really cringy. And yeah the ending was disappointing for me. I think I liked 2018 better.

• TAG

We talkin' like Saw-levels of gore, or the kind of gore associated with a hard-R action film or something?

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703

Nothing torturous like Saw. More like realistic gore akin to the brutality of the Friday 13th series.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

I'm a big halloween fan and I adored 2018 but I hated kills. It's feels less Michael Myers and more Jason Voorhees dressed as Myers. There's also some strange attempts at social commentary which I'm not entirely opposed to but either go fully into it or don't do it at all., rather than a half-arsed thing. They could've definitely explored better how Haddonfield itself is a victim of Myers and collective trauma rather than a heavy handed swipe at mob mentality. Then there was Dr. Loomis in a flashback sequence and it's always nice to see him butI'm still unsure how I feel about bringing back dead actors with CGI. Voice actor did a pretty good job with him, considering Donald Pleasance has a pretty distinctive voice.

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,933

I liked 2018, and I like Kills as well... at least some parts of it. Some other parts not so much. I really thought that this movie would be better than 2018 but it's kinda worse in my opinion.

But like some people mentioned, it's probably a filler movie, preparing for the final "Halloween Ends", which is kinda disappointing, they could've made Kills unique in it's own way but it truly feels like a forced continuation to 2018. At least it had some cool kills.