What’s up with All the Camping and Tunneling?

I’ve played solo que for most of my day and have noticed that myself and my teammates have been tunneled and camped in almost every match. The crazy part is that the camping starts At the beginning-middle of the game which makes no sense, I could understand if it was endgame then yeah… cause the killer has no other option. But players like this make the game extremely boring. I’ve noticed it’s mostly the nemesis players that do this. Keep in mind it’s SOLO QUE, so there’s no telling who’s going for the save, who should stay on what gen etc.

Comments

• JPA
    JPA Member Posts: 1,685

*shrieking intensifies*

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142
    edited October 2021

This mostly plagues high ranks while camping and tunneling plagues all ranks, but is far worse for low rank and solo queue; and it doesn't require a single perk or addon slot from the killer (unlike flashlights and meta perks)

Post edited by Nos37 on
  • Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 998

People generally camp and tunnel because they feel it's necessary to exert pressure in the game, or because they find it fun.

Either way, there's not much you can do about it other than do generators. Your allies are a resource, including the time they have on the hook. You want to maximize that resource by getting your own objectives done as much as you can in that time frame and trade their life for progress. It can feel bad, but it's what you (and everyone) needs to do to tell killers that camping and tunneling won't be rewarded. Otherwise early and frequent save attempts will act as a reward system and say to them: "Hey, I'm not happy but I'm still going to reward you for acting this way and encourage you to continue doing it."

My advice is to get information-related perks (highly underrated in solo queue) like Bond, Open-Handed, Kindred, Better Together, etc and learn to abuse killers who camp and tunnel, and discourage them from doing it again.

• DarKStaR350z
    DarKStaR350z Member Posts: 715

Honestly I see this every time a new Tome comes out with one of the first challenges being 'Unhook 6 survivors' or something.

Using Kindred every game I often see my teammates all hovering around the hook because they're desperate to finish that challenge; all this does is encourage things like frequent camping because so many games they will see survivors throwing their lives away.

Imagine if you're the killer and you see 2 survivors racing to be first to get the unhook credit; why would you leave when you have 3/4 of the team right there?

• shyguyy
    shyguyy Member Posts: 298

There is an event going on. Everyone knows you need to play like a dick during an event. 😑

• Inspire
    Inspire Member Posts: 123

If you think killer is bad now then you'd probably lose your ######### if you played during 2017-2018.

• AkiTheKitten
    AkiTheKitten Member Posts: 670

Op CoH stops you from punishing greedy survivors so they're getting cocky

• Wampa1
    Wampa1 Member Posts: 175

yep,spirit is broken.Totally survivor centric now.They made up for it with the fantastic buffs for the trapper🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️.Im leaving having played with the updates for a few days.Awaiting the release of VHS.

• Voodoo101
    Voodoo101 Member Posts: 237

Normally tunnel people with flashlights who think it a save all.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130
    edited October 2021

Something desperately needs to be done about tunneling. At least 8 out 10 matches a person simply tunneled out of the match. I can't imagine the devs ignoring this much longer because it is totally unfun. Either decisive strike needs to be massively buffed so killers are discouraged from it or a builtin mechanic to prevent it.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

You know that’s not gonna happen. DS is meant to delay tunneling, not stop it.

• HLC
    HLC Member Posts: 35

if they click-click = bleed out :D ez

• Viamont
    Viamont Member Posts: 304

Depends honestly, but im going to make a wild guess most of it its to prevent the anoying and mostly uncounterable boon totem gameplay. IF you let this people start to apply the boons, specially the shadow step one you are for the most part screwed for all the game, that totem its idiotically strong with very little counter play.

I dont blame you for being angry, but this was expected to happen, its pretty much a take down as many people before the ridiculous boons come in to play

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
  • Dino7281
    Dino7281 Member Posts: 3,294

CoH didn't help it.

Killers just can't drop chases, if CoH is active, because there is no pressure from that. So best way to deal with CoH is tunnel and camp, because hit&run for snowball just doesn't work.

• R2k
    R2k Member Posts: 1,069

Or entitled survivors start playing killers and stop complaining about things they don't understand.

Majority of complaints comes from *I see it as unfun. I don't care why it happened, nerf it*

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

For fun? It can't be fun tunneling and camping in every single game you play...

• Leatherface1990
    Leatherface1990 Member Posts: 718
    edited October 2021

I took chase after CoH and totem and solo popped the 1st GEN. Then I DROPPED exactly 10 PALLETS in CHASE for that Mikela challenge and we all still won at RED RANK 1 Survivor LMAO! That Plague was soooo determined LOL.

• Stryker
    Stryker Member Posts: 220
    edited October 2021

Serious answer: tunneling and camping has becomed the best option to secure a kill/kills(or atleast, have a real chance to win), i'm not even joking...

Ive tried to play "fair" for some games, i barely had 1(if noone) kill and few hooks, then i tried the tunneling and camping strategy/""scummy"" builds, and guess what, not onlyi managed to secure 2-3 kills without sweating too much, i also had fun for once!( new trapper base camping is quite fun at this point).

Blame the devs, they don't even know what they're doing and if the game is as it is, it's only their fault, nerfing all the fun killers(pig/slingher...yes, i find the pig to be quite funny to play), making the few viable killers B tier(spirit and wraith), forcing the main killers, to use the same build and the same killers over and over bacuse YOU can't have VARIETY in this game if you want to actually have a chance to win or have fun, unless you're a masokist and you like to see 4 SFW people/or soloQ, Tbagging and clicking at the exit gate.

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146
    edited October 2021

One person needs to be taken out early to make it fairer for the killer and give them a small amount of their power role back.

Too many pallets, gen speeds, bad rng with safe loops (good for survivor though). Not to mention killer objectives keep increasing.

It went from find, chase, down, hook survivors to adding breakable walls and now totems. To do this 12 times is not really an option unless you are an extremely good killer or you get terrible survivors.

Someone needs to go ASAP. If they tunnel and/or camp all game though they are just a terrible killer imo.

• Khelendrose2020
    Khelendrose2020 Member Posts: 207

Blame SBMMR and Boons. Since SBMMR was introduced killers jave had to face constant sweat squads. You used to get one every few matches, then get a couple more laid back matches. Now, every match is sweaty meta builds and I've seen most of them running 2-4 totems.

All I keep hearing is how tunneling out the first survivor is the strongest way to slow it down. I just can't bring myself to do it though. I prefer a laid back style of pressuring the field. Unfortunately, it means very frustrating matches.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

Yeah it's hard for me to play nice anymore, I need to camp and tunnel to get someone out asap.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

If you wanna do that every game, then go for it. I don't see how that's fun, but whatever. You can play however you want.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,833

When you lose 3 gens in less than a minute, it makes sense as to why killers camp and tunnel.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

Spirit is useless if you are are low MMR going against high MMR survivors yes. She is not useless at all, but now you actually have to play smart and wont be carried by the lack of information she provided.

Also, saying killer is at it's worst it as ever been, you clearly werent here years ago. Old brand new part, actual insta heals, old DS, actual infinites.

• remoirel
    remoirel Member Posts: 231

we HAVE to tunnel and camp because *pick reason from list about gen speeds, survivor perks, map sizes, tile layouts, amount of pallets etc*

If i don't i get maybe 1 hook, but if i do i get at least a 3k!

-mmr rises because you got 3 kills-

why am i not having funnnnn all these survivors are sweaty and *picks reason like above* ######### pls buff killers!

the irony is too much on this forum i swear

• Mileena_Kahn
    Mileena_Kahn Member Posts: 600

Okay but listen to what you just said…. First off nobody is being “entitled” and/or thinking that the killer should play how the survivor(s) want. It was literally just a question that I asked. Funny thing is, the way survivors need to win is something killers will call boring and toxic.

• JohnWeak
    JohnWeak Member Posts: 854
    edited October 2021

It was exactly the same except there wasn't a SBMM system that now highlight all the flaws the game has balance wise.

• There were infinites, you still have semi infinite on many maps
    • Brand New part gone, old ruin also gone
    • Insta heal gone, replaced with CoH which is way stronger
    • Less pallets = perk to restart pallets

And last but not least, the game is 5 years old now, survivors have improved individually but also in teamplay. The SWF you face today are ten times stronger than the one you would have met 2 years ago.

From my experience, i have never seen such lightning fast gen rush till the SBMM release.

• Mileena_Kahn

I actually agree with you, like ever since decisive strike got nerfed I took a break from the game. The tunneling and camping was extreme that week when it happened and the games were just boring. I came back because mikaela looked interesting and so did the event. Shh…. Let me go now before I get attacked by the killer mains.

• Mileena_Kahn

Bruh, it’s not something the killer has to or needs to know, I’m talking about how you’re already at a disadvantage just by playing solo que. It just makes everything harder. But god forbid you play a SWF right?

• Mileena_Kahn
  • JPA
    JPA Member Posts: 1,685
  • Mileena_Kahn

I’ve also been playing since 2018, tbh maps actually are crap for survivors. They nerfed Ormond which was somewhat understandable, but then you have maps like RPD, Hawkins, and Midwich. Also since the years have gone by they even nerfed map tiles such as jungle gyms and pallet gyms. Like people fail to realize survivors have received nerfs on their ends for a few years now.