We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Killers need to understand how lame Camping is for Survivors

The never ending debate of Camping. Many killers justify it by saying that survivors should learn to exploit the weaknesses in it. I would like to state how BS that justification is for solo queue players.

Camping is an insanely dominant strategy, that's also near impossible to deal with if someone runs NOED or they have an instant down power. The only real way to deal with it well is when you play SWF because you can communicate with your team on what to do. You can say "don't save him just rush gens" or you can call everyone over and force a trade or a save. The issue that get's ignored is that it is assumed survivors can work together flawlessly if good enough. This assumption is blatantly false. There is no in game way of voice communication. When playing solo queue, you are forced into guesswork, trust and translation of point, beckon, crouch. I have played many games where the first person hooked would second stage just because everyone assumed the other players would save him. If Behaviour implemented an in game voice chat, that would curb my grievances. However, I think we all can agree that this would cause every game to be just as sweaty as a SWF and playing killer would be awful.

Also, you can't always say "just gen rush" because survivors play the game to work as a team to overcome the Killer. You aren't working as a team if you're strategy is to ignore that one guy. You feel empathetic for them and most of the time - without communication - one of the survivors succumbs to that and becomes the next victim to be camped. Thus slowing down the gen rush further and in some cases even ruins the gen rush. You need voice communication for it to work properly.

On that note, I think it is pretty clear why us survivors think that it is lame. So stop with the copium and at least accept that. I would much rather you tunneled and patrolled hooks as that still leaves a competitive aspect to the game and doesn't require voice communication to try countering it.

Comments

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

It's fair, a key part of survivor is to know when to avoid the killer and another is escaping chase if stealth fails.

• RenRen
    RenRen Member Posts: 1,443

I mean what would survivors do in return? Most people camp for a reason.

• TheAcidFairy
    TheAcidFairy Member Posts: 14

How is it impossible with NOED? If the Killer is camping with NOED, that gives you free reign of the rest of the map to go destroy the NOED Hex Totem and go in for the save.

Or just gtfo, unfortunately with Solo games, you got understand not everyone wants to play the same as you and Killers will camp if they feel the need to. If you want to play with a Team that has that type of strategy, then you need to go out and find it. There are plenty of people out there who will play with you.

• ClumsyTrapper
    ClumsyTrapper Member Posts: 544

Idk me and my mates have been facecamped so many times it's usually funny or side objective of save that at all costs.

Or we just sigh and pound out gens

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,431
    edited November 2021

There is a level of camping that is unfair, I agree.

There is also a level of camping that is warranted.

The problem is that there is no measure to which one the (killer) player will pick. This not only solidifies the current meta (BT/DS) but also further shows that they have no intentions on changing it.

Yeah yeah, I know they "tried it before and it didn't work out". My only argument to that is, why stop there? They could have at the very least allowed players who are holding M1 (3 remaining survivors) given more time, if the killer is actively idling at the hook with no other bodies around. That would have been a start.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,704

killers often need to camp when games are not going well for them. I'm not supposed to make survivors matches fun.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

They tried giving them more time...

It got abused by survivors.

Nearly everything you can think up of has been tried and abused by survivors as they tried repeatedly to fix it.

• YukiShiori21
    YukiShiori21 Member Posts: 46
    edited November 2021

First of all, facecamp is lame even for a killer main like me. I only do that when things went too wrong(1hook with 3 gens done) or got BMed

But when will you survivors understand that facecamp is a waste of time, just do gens and get out.

Your goal is to get out, not to get out together. If you get out then you win.

DBD is a 1v1v1v1v1 game, the dev makes it very clear, you're just four guys trying to escape happen to do it at the same time.

I understand four is better than three, but since the facecamp is the situation, you'll need two to safe the on hook more safely.

That means there are only one or none doing the gens.

If the killer facecamp since the very beginning, you should have enough time do all or most of the gens.

After the gate is electrified, you have three guys to save the poor guy.

Don't try to be a hero, understand the situation and leave the trials if you can't handle it.

I've done too much trials when I only get 1or 2 hook till the end game, but the survivors tried to hard to save the in hook then end up give me 3 or 4 kills.

Facecamp is only about secure a kill. That's a bad news for the one, but somewhat a better news for the other three.

Also when you know NOED is on, you shouldn't try to be a hero anymore, find the hex then try or just get out.

Post edited by YukiShiori21 on
  • Nathan13

the thing is a lot of survivors think they're entitled to a 4 man escape. It's just funny when they try to save and it all goes south for them.

• DorkianBae
    DorkianBae Member Posts: 227

I play both sides and if you can't understand why killers need to camp sometimes you obviously don't play enough killer.

It's like when people wait till the last second to unhook someone and then call me a camper when I don't give them the free unhook when they had 22242o4o42o years to come over and unhook but they choose to use that time to rush gens

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,431

So they tried punishing idle camping when every survivor held M1?

Because I don't see how survivors would abuse that idea.

• YukiShiori21
    YukiShiori21 Member Posts: 46

That's the problem here, when killers try to get 4k to achieve a "win", people say "don't be so sweaty".

But on the contrary they try so hard to get a 4 escape so we killers can't tunnel or camp(facecamp or even patrolling)

2S2E are recognized as a draw to the trials, but survivors win when they get out.

Killers? devs say any sacrifice is considered a win. Sadly that's not how players feel.

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

Killers understand how lame it is. They camp anyways.

Checkmate, atheists.

• Nathan13
  • StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

Yup, genrush sucks too. I'm completely guilty of doing it, though.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

I agree...partially.

Camping is frustrating for uncoordinated groups to go up against.

Camping is also the only way to handle SWF groups at times, as without an early kill, even top tier killers regularly lose games while tactically camping.

It's impossible to balance this game around both solo queue and SWF. And it's impossible for killers to know which they are going up against until it's too late to step on the gas.

I don't camp unless you BM me, or it's like 1 gen left and I haven't killed anyone. And I understand why it would be frustrating to be on the other end of. However, you also need to understand how frustrated killers are right now, with nerfs to already 'B' tier killers, smurfing premades gloating and teabagging on their way to 4-outs, boon totems, DH buff and the hit bug, etc. I can certainly understand why some might play a little cheesy.

That said, BHVR have stated recently that they want to do more to eliminate facecamping (literally standing at hook and waiting), but don't want to stop proxy camping (patrolling past hooked survivors).

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

I've said it before and I will not stop preaching this until something is done about it but: it is bs when a killer can face camp the first person they down and guarantee they die and then go on to insta down someone else after all the gens are completed with NOED.

Honestly if they use Bloodwarden there's a good chance they could secure even more kills but just face camp + NOED is usually enough to get 2 kills guaranteed which is enough for many killers as they are gaining MMR.

That is complete bs and something needs to be done about it. Something needs to be done about a survivor who gets face camped because it's a miserable experience. This is coming from someone who plays both sides.

I understand camping in the middle or at the end of a match but using the face camp + NOED strategy is bs since survivors can't do all the gens and cleanse all the totems before the first person dies on the hook. That isn't fair and you know it.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

We understand, but why should we care, especially after the devs said that one kill now counts as a win?

• Nathan13

I am too. I hate it for killers even when I'm playing survivor.

• Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 998

The game is catered to a casual survivor audience, and has been in varying degrees for over 5 years.

Killers know survivors don't like being camped, but they don't have any reason to care.

It's like a spoiled rich kid cutting in front of a malnourished and financially troubled peer at a lunch line because he's so famished and deserves immediate attention.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I don't stand around a hook doing nothing very often because it's actually bad strategy if the other survivors are sitting on the gens. If the survivors aren't coming to me I go to them to keep the pressure up. That's not to say I won't keep an eye out for people going for a rescue, of course, but I'm not going to just twiddle my thumbs for two minutes while the gens are flying.

Also I think some of the complaints by survivors about "camping and tunneling" are just sore losing. I once had a survivor complain that I was "camping the gens" when they had 3-genned themselves. As if I was somehow being unsportsmanlike defending the generators! 🙄 And it's not that uncommon for survivors to get upset that you are "camping the hook" when in reality they came barreling in right after the hook and you saw them coming. And I still to this day don't get how "proxy camping" is anything other than a term coined by sore losing survivors for a killer just playing the game normally.

I get it, though, being on a hook is boring. It's an unfortunate design flaw in this game that every match players are forced to just stare at their screen doing nothing for 30 to 60 seconds at a time. It's one reason I play killer and not survivor, killers have much less actual downtime during a match. But personally that's not the reason I don't bother face camping, I mainly don't do it because it's really a strategy that's only good in certain situations and often the better course is going to where you think the other survivors are to drive them off the gens too.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,935
    edited November 2021

At least killers can still play the game... I still have more fun getting "gen rushed" as killer than I do getting camped as survivor. The killer can literally keep you from playing the game. I think they mentioned trying to come up with a solution pretty recently.

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209

They can, if you don't loop like a potato. That first survivor can drop 20+ Pallets early on most killers and that's more than enough time to bang out some totems, especially if you bring Detective's Hunch.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092
    edited November 2021

Oh they understand.....there's just absolutely no reason to care

I don't do it because I don't find it fun and I hate being unfun like that but there's no real reason for anyone to care about anyone else's fun in this game

• GrayEyes
    GrayEyes Member Posts: 379

they've said it a couple times throughout the years I never works out

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

I genuinely do not care how survivors feel about it. They don't care about how I feel. It is what it is. Best you can do is play how you want to play. If I want to bleed all 4 out with Twins, that is what is going down. I bet those survivors wish I would just face camp them. Lol.

• foxsansbox

I've never heard someone in COD or Battlefield complain about the cumulative time spent respawning. Never. Not once.

This whole "It prevents us from playing the game." complaint needs to go the way of the Dodo. You are playing the game. You are playing the game on the hook. Just because you are not currently providing input does not mean you aren't playing the game.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,297

If camping was rooted out, gen speeds could be reduced.

As it stands, camping is the thing that holds all the misery in DbD together.

• ThiccBudhha

I actually quit Battlefield because I was sick of the journey from spawn every time I died. Not even cumulatively. Just one of those suckers was enough to annoy me at a certain point.

CoD purposely spawns you on top of people specifically to avoid that complaint. And that is probably why its worst selling games is leagues above Battlefields best to be honest. People like to play games, the shocking discovery of the century. I am surprised they don't like to not play the game.

• ShErMaDeRmA
    ShErMaDeRmA Member Posts: 338

Survivors need to understand how lame, lemme get my reading glasses, BMing , Borrowed time Blocks, Dead Hard, SWF, Unbreakable, Boons, BNP, Gen Rush, hit validation is

• foxsansbox

You forgot the clicky clicky.

It normally does not bother me, but I encountered a survivor recently who had a literal clicky macro. The kind that makes it go on and off like a ######### machine gun. My sound card almost threw up.

• ThiccBudhha

Well, yes, I am the one who prefers to play the game. Keen observation. Surprised you play killer with arguments like that. Never would have expected it. Rofl.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Survivors have hook states in their HUD but rarely use it.

If you never been hooked, and teammate is about to hit second stage camped, why wont you go trade with him on hook?

Unless its end game camping you have no excuse not to do that.

I agree its lame to be the one camped, but some teammates just dont even consider taking the heat off of their camped/tunneled teammates when their own hook states are clean as sky

• ThiccBudhha

With escape based mmr, there is literally no reason to hook trade if you care about climbing. And as survivor, there is a huge incentive to want to reach high mmr (better teammates). I do it, but only because I do not care about my teammates... ironically.

• SadLegion
    SadLegion Member Posts: 222
    edited November 2021

Survivors need to understand that it is a necessity in the current meta the devs have created. Unless killer plays Blight or Nurse, or doesnt care about getting kills at all, he will probably need to camp and tunnel someone.

• Mileena_Kahn
    Mileena_Kahn Member Posts: 600

Unlike these other entitled killer mains in these comments, I 100% agree with you.

• Face camping is pretty awful yeah, even though if they legit face camp someone to death, assuming it took a bit over 60 seconds to find them, down them and hook them, that's enough time for each survivor not being face camped to do 2 gens each.

If you actually want to solve this problem though, you have to look at the reasons why the killer is doing it, and solve that issue. Encourage the behavior you want, discourage the behavior you don't.

It's pretty much always a noob thing though.

imo it's probably bc the killer doesn't have enough information on where other survivors are, and doesn't think they'd be able to find them or secure another hook. If it's just petty toxic killers will always be a minor factor no matter what you do, you can't eliminate human evil from the equation.

• xEmoGirlxAlexisx
    xEmoGirlxAlexisx Member Posts: 598

Survivor need to understand how lame Gen Rushing is for Killers

Survivor need to understand how lame 2nd Chance Perks is for Killers

Survivor need to understand that Killers doesnt need to care about the Survivors Fun, Killers are the enemy they dont need to Play how the Survivors want Killers arent Survivor Plaything

Still hate Facecamping too i rarely di it except a Survivor ruined the Match 4 me but yeah whe a Kilöer want to Camp or tunnel u need to weak whit mostly now because Camping and tunneling is the best thing to do as Killer at this awful unbalanced State of the Game

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147

I can count on two fingers the number of times survivors have gone easy on gens to give me a more fun game.