Please check if your issue has already been reported first!

When reporting a bug, please follow the template provided, otherwise the report will be declined. The information requested is vital to allow us to correctly reproduce and then fix what you are reporting.
We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Ruin Not Regressing Generators

Tricksters_Wife
Tricksters_Wife Member Posts: 545
edited November 2021 in Bug Reporting

Engaged in a chase, lasted around 1 minute and the gen never regressed during the whole chase? As you can see my Undying was cleansed but my Ruin was still active. Wouldn't let me kick the gen either. Not sure if it's specifically this generator on Ormond or if it's all of them as I didn't get a chance to really patrol the rest of the gens before my Ruin was cleansed as well.

Platform: Steam

EDIT: CONCRETE PROOF OF THIS:

I think this has something to do with Undying being cleansed.

Post edited by Tricksters_Wife on
16 votes

Pending · Last Updated

Comments

• Tricksters_Wife

Here's another clip of the same chase before I downed her when I walked by the gen. It still sounded the same. Even if she tapped it, it should've regressed back to 0 since there was hardly any progress on it.

• Tricksters_Wife

Just so happened to get Ormond again in the next match and it happened again. Here's another video of it, it does the sparks FX but no regression. Couldn't test and see if it was all the gens again, as Ruin popped soon after.

• Tricksters_Wife

Had another instance today where this happened and threw the game to get the concrete proof of it, that it isn't just a visual glitch. It does not just happen on Ormond and it will happen on generators that are decently completed. I think it has something to do with the Ruin + Undying combination and after Undying gets cleansed. Imagine how many times this is actually happening behind killer's backs and they don't realize it? Why aren't more people talking about this? (Or maybe people have... I haven't been active on the forums since I first made this post)

• Fukse
    Fukse Member Posts: 106

Bumping it up, happens to me too. Interestingly tho, I can only remember this being the case with Trickster... But that's maybe only because I run Ruin on Trickster and not the other killers

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,762
    edited December 2021

I actually had this happen once too on Swamp. I'm 99% sure I was using Undying that game too, though I don't remember if I still had both totems or not (but Ruin was definitely still active). There was a generator slightly above 25% that didn't have any sparks and I couldn't kick it, and if it was regressing the second piston should have stopped moving relatively quickly but didn't.

Went and chased someone and hooked then came back to the gen and it was still at the same level of progress. It only started regressing once a survivor worked on it again and then I pushed them off later.

Also I was playing pyramid head, so it's not a trickster-specific issue.

Back then I chalked it up to coincidence as I never saw it happen again, but seeing this bug, it makes a lot of sense now.

• sizzlingmario4
    edited December 2021

Ok, watching the clips more closely I noticed something:

In OP’s post, in their second video (the one on groaning storehouse), as he begins to vault the window, the survivors get off the gen and you can actually hear the noise it makes when a gen begins regressing - meaning it’s working normal there.

HOWEVER, while they’re chasing around main building, undying goes down, and that’s when it stops regressing. So I think the bug is that if Ruin is cleansed, the generators stop regressing (which is normal behavior without undying), except in this case, undying protects the hex and moves it to its totem. When this happens, however, the game doesn’t “detect” properly that ruin is still active and doesn’t begin regressing that generator again even though it should.

So, if I’m right, in order to reproduce this you’d need to bring ruin/undying and hope you get lucky with cleansing ruin’s totem first, because if undying is cleansed directly I don’t think the bug will occur.

• Tricksters_Wife

Yeah I definitely agree that that's the case. As you said before the ruin will only reactivate when a survivor touches it, but it definitely saves any lost progress that could've happened on gens. Usually my presence alone allows me to have a strong area control with Trickster along with ruin, so this bug is a pain in the ass for me because it completely counters the way I use ruin and Trickster together.

• Sapphyre
    Sapphyre Member Posts: 8

Just had this issue as Huntress on Dead Dawg Saloon.

Was using Hex: Ruin, Hex: Undying, Iron Maiden and Barbecue and Chili.

2 Mikaela's using Boon perks, saw my Undying get disabled, whether they had blessed Ruin or Undying can't be sure. Ruin was of course still up and if I chased a player off a generator it would spark but then realized it wouldn't continue regressing nor could I try to kick it. This only started after the first Hex had been removed because up until that point gens were regressing as normal.

Hex:Ruin was eventually cleansed and then I was able to kick a generator but not until then and generators continued as normal with no regression.

Definitely a serious problem though too many factors to determine what caused it, whether blessing a totem did it or some bug between Ruin and Undying.

• hailxsatanxeveryxday
    hailxsatanxeveryxday Member Posts: 913

Bumping this thread because I've had this issue, too. Always with Ruin/Undying. Doesn't seem to be a killer-specific issue.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

If I had to guess, I'd say the perk is coded to automatically kick the gen with bonus regression when all the last survivor gets off a gen. Since Ruin is cleansed while it's regressing, Undying becomes Ruin, and since there is no survivor to get off the gen, it doesn't trigger the situation which starts Ruin.

More speculation, I'd assume this would only happen in situations where Ruin is cleansed and Undying becomes Ruin, not those where the original Undying totem is cleansed first.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,036

So, this is most likely what's happening:

Ruin only detects on generator release

Survivor releases Gen, Ruin procs

Ruin is down, generator regression is stopped

Undying kicks in, ruin is reinstated

Gen fails to start regressing because it only checks for survivors releasing, not for progress

Killer is also now unable to kick affected gens due to that checking for Ruins status, not regression(?)

Generator is now effectively frozen until touched or ruin is down

This could potentially be abused to forcefully freeze a Gen at 99% by survivors, though it would be difficult

• Tricksters_Wife
    edited March 2022

Yep. Happens multiple times where I approach a nearly done gen after this happens and I'm unable to kick it and let it start regressing. So I'm forced to leave it there which allows survivors to continue it once I've left from the area. Really bad for gen control.

EDIT: Just checked the bug fix patch and this still isn't listed as fixed

• sizzlingmario4
    edited March 2022

Yeah it looks like that's what it is. It's more clear in the second video than the first as you can see it was working correctly until ruin was cleansed (and took undying's place instead).

This bug only happens if ruin actually gets moved to a different totem; if survivors cleanse the actual undying totem first instead then ruin will continue to function. And from what I've seen of this bug in my games, gens which aren't regressing because of this also will only stay that way as long as the survivors don't interact with them; if they touch a gen and let go again then regression will resume as they've now let go of a gen. It seems to only check when a survivor lets go of a gen and that's it, which is fine without undying but as ruin normally stops regressing the gens immediately once cleansed, it poses a problem when these perks are used together. I assume this was overlooked since it would have been coded before undying existed.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,778

I can confirm I have this issue as well. It's only on gens that are currently regressing when Undying is cleansed, and isn't guaranteed (so like others have mentioned above, it's likely that it only happens when Ruin itself moves). The generator continues to spark as if regressing, and you still cannot kick it from my experience.