Should nicknames/profiles be hidden in the lobby from the killer? (Steam)

zedalert
zedalert Member Posts: 24

What do you think about that? Wouldn't it be better when everyone in the lobby doesn't know about each other? Nicknames are #marked and there is no option to open up your Steam profile. But during the match you can see nicknames and after the match you can even check someones' Steam profile if you want it.

Pros:

• survivors already can hide their Steam profiles and change nicknames;
  • the more pure challenge and the game itself, less toxicity;
  • during the match, the dead survivor can't help his team by checking the killer's Steam profile or Twitch stream.

Cons:

• you don't know if it was the same toxic survivor/team or not.

Should nicknames/profiles be hidden in the lobby from the killer? (Steam) 37 votes

Yes, the killer can see nicknames only when the match starts
2% 1 vote
Yes, the killer can see nicknames only after the end of the match
27% 10 votes
Yes, even survivors won't recognize each other (unless they are in team)
10% 4 votes
No, the killer should know absolutely everything about survivors!
54% 20 votes
Other, I'll write my opinion down
5% 2 votes

Comments

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309
    edited November 2021

This is the closest to what I think, so I'm picking that.

I don't particularly mind if names are visible once the match starts, but no one should see them before. Not survivors, not killers - no one.

EDIT: Oh, votes not shown on posts. I picked "Yes, even survivors won't recognize each other (unless they are in team)"

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited November 2021

You can already set your steam profile to private so that people don't bother you if you're in the unfortunate position where you've been frequently harassed by other players in the community. It's never happened to me before personally, but I've heard some horror stories of some really malicious individuals that exist that take things a step too far. So if you're looking for immediate changes that is always an option.

In the same way, I wonder if maybe it might be a good idea to make it a toggle option in Dead by Daylight itself, as an option to hide your profile or not. Survivors / Killers can decide if they want the link to their steam profile to be visible, and if they choose to they can hide it from other players if they feel it's necessary, or if that's just something they want to do.

Not one of the poll options but felt it should be suggested anyway ^

I'm not too sure I like the idea of making it a forced change that needs to apply to everyone is all.

• zedalert

Maybe the toggle option would be the best solution, like we have toggle option for cross-play and friend requests.

The same forced change was made a long time ago to survivors, today they can't see the killers' profile in the lobby. But the killer also had the option to hide his profile and whatever you offered, but that's not helping for both killer and survivors. And I totally don't understand why I should change my Steam profile and it's settings only to play one game.

• Seiko300
    edited November 2021

I get that, that's why I said it should be something in Dead by Daylight's settings that you can choose to change- since for some people DBD is the only thing that might be causing them issues in this respect, and everything else in their library might be completely fine.

But I am saying that if anyone is frequently harassed, I want them to know that that option is available to them should they really need it. That's why I mentioned it in the first place.

EDIT:

The reason why I think having names be present is because there is still value in seeing them. Killers get their own share of grief too, and for example maybe you just had a horrible game against a toxic 4 man SWF, and the next two games in a row you go against that exact same group (I've actually been in this situation before- although I stayed for all three games). Without being able to see the names, you wouldn't be able to tell if you're going against the same players or not.

• angematias
    angematias Member Posts: 86

The problem is that there's been cases of killers with a grudge towards someone with a profile name BMing them in game. Outside of game a private profile will do, in game it gets absurd

• Seiko300
    edited November 2021

Hence why I said this can be an option players could choose to turn on and off. This can easily apply to both steam profile and display name in-game.

• Ussu
    Ussu Member Posts: 177

If players can't see each others nicknames and profiles that just makes cheating or hacking way too easy to get away with.

• ElusivePukka
    ElusivePukka Member Posts: 1,599
    edited November 2021

Yet another poll with biased answers - though to your credit, they're better than usual.

Everyone should be able to check each other post-game, still, the survivors ought to be able to check each other at any time, and the killer should be able to check anytime - meaning things should stay the same.

Being able to check who you're messing with, or who's messing with you, is important; especially when roughly 10% of the PC playerbase is hacking. There's hacks to get rid of that functionality too, but if you remove what little source control we as players have, you're only helping the hackers.

And I flatly disagree that removing profile checking would in any way curb toxicity.

• zedalert

What can you say if all of the players will hide their Steam profile inside Steam privacy settings? There are already the same settings present in Steam, I only claim the idea to move it to the game itself. Nothing will be changed for most of the players because more than half of them already hide their profiles. Why does it only work in one way? It should work in both ways, everyone can't see everyone or everyone can see everyone without any exception like we have today. Developers said they hid the killers' profile for a "very good reason" and they will not bring it back, so the only option to make everything fair for both of the sides is to hide everyone from everyone.

How do your words correlate with the reality when only killers can check survivors' profiles? Survivors can't check killers' profile so they don't know if they will play this match with hacker or not.

• Ussu
    Ussu Member Posts: 177

Yeah you have a point about the killer name currently being hidden. Why is that?

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Honestly I’d be perfectly ok with neither side having any information at all about the other side until the match starts. You can’t see the opponents, can’t see their add-ons or characters, can’t see offerings, nothing, Survivors can see each other, that’s fine, but they have no info on the killer and the killer none on them.