Define Toxicity

So here’s a little background about me. I’m a fledgling content creator. Streaming DBD as my main game usually 3 days a week. I do my absolute best to play fair as a killer (ensuring hooks are evenly spread, no tunneling, no face camping (proxy camping when required), if they played well I even drop someone at hatch, and just generally try to have fun while letting everyone soak up that sweet sweet BP.). I’ve spent years being a toxic scumbag in other games and I’ve moved on.

That being said, last night while streaming either the moon was full (didn’t check) or the scum lord survivors were all hands on deck. I’m talking T-bags galore, flashlights bound to the scroll wheel, running the annoying builds, you guys get the picture. One game I was literally blinded 7 times in a row. This was a brand spanking new killer, hot off the presses and never seen a trial. And I get matched up with survivors who are the Chadleyest, Toxic Avenger groups.

My ultimate question is why? Why play the game like that? To be that A Dog that you can’t be in real life? To let out all the frustrations you had being bullied? What the level of toxicity will end up doing will push out the players who play to have fun. The killers who play fair will stop playing fair and that will make all other survivors complain and survivors will get even more strengths against a killer. Apologies for the long winded post, but as someone who wants to see the game grow and be better it also starts with us as the player base.

TL:DR The SBMM needs to be scrapped, Level 1 killers shouldn’t be pitted against teams with 1k hours in the game.

Comments

• Pizzasauce
    Pizzasauce Member Posts: 940

I often wonder that same exact thing. Like I think, "Did your mom raise you to be such a jerk?"

• AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723

Rapidly grabbing the hooked player but not unhooking them without the killer nearby. Blocking a fellow survivor until they get crows just because you think it's funny. Suiciding because you got hooked early on by a bad play on your own part.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

Anything you do that I don't like.

• DieGräfin
    DieGräfin Member Posts: 227
    edited November 2021

Did they Insulted you in chat? Than you can say it's toxic. T-bagging, blinding or clicky clicky is not toxic. Offend is toxic behavior yes.

Example, play a couple of rounds Smite Ranked and enjoy the chat. That's toxic 😄

If you getting triggered, it's the wrong game I think.

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047

if I don’t like it it’s immediately toxic

• Uriah119
    Uriah119 Member Posts: 27

So chat was interesting, even my own stream chat was like, “This is harassment.” They literally felt justified in playing like bullies. Which hey man I get it, it was my job to kill you. But that’s pretty much impossible when being blinded by multiple flashlights at once or having a network of boons put in the area. Then the 1 minute long blind session…yeah that was pretty much uncalled for. Needless to say man I still believe in fair play. But I definitely don’t see myself bringing in virgin killers to trials.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,569

Anything that is done with the sole purpose of annoying the other side.

• Sakurra
    Sakurra Member Posts: 1,046
    edited November 2021

Insulting players in chat or saying ez. Teabagging is toxic. Almost all survivors that will teabag will also insult you in chat. Clicky clicky+teabagging=toxic. Clicky clicky without teabagging=bait. And of course, sandbagging+bodyblocking.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

I'd say toxic behaviour is something done for no other purpose than to get a rise out of another player. It's the type of bad sportsmanship that has a referee penalise you, not the type that has everyone tut at how uncouth your tactic is.

Teabagging? Clicky-Clicky when running rings round someone? Waiting at the exit gate rather than just leaving (both to waste time and try and get the teabagging in)? The killer whacking someone on hook? Leaving someone to bleed out in EGC when you're both right next to a hook (i.e. not because there's no way to secure a win or because nobody can find each other)? Those are toxic behaviours. Persistent DC's are toxic for a different reason, in that rather than trying to get a reaction, you're instead denying someone else the opportunity to win on their terms. The sort of "ok, you'll get fined after the game" type of bad sportsmanship.

Tunnelling and camping aren't toxic, since they still have a perfectly valid purpose and unless someone tells you, you can't go "that's to be annoying".

Chain blinding a killer probably is if everyone's ignoring gens to do it. That's bullying.

• gentacle
    gentacle Member Posts: 260

I think people confuse unsportsmanlike conduct with toxicity. I look at it two ways: everything within the game, and everything outside of the game. Inside the game nothing should matter. Baiting, trying to get a rise out of either side, "unfair tactics", etc... If you let that rock you then you have to develop more mental callus. Where it borders on "being unsporting" is when you have a situation like a survive with friends party burning haddonfield and having an end game celebration at the exit gate or letting everyone bleed out for 3 minutes as a killer (although sometimes that's an optimal play).

Toxicity is when that unsporting behavior carries outside of the game. If you refuse to GG out or say nothing at all and whine/rant/complaine/whinge/insult/etc then you might very well be toxic. Also if you cheat in game. You're toxic if you do that lol.

• Pizzasauce
    Pizzasauce Member Posts: 940

I think as toxicity as harassment, and I consider constant teabagging and clicky click as harassment.

• Ravenlord4711
    Ravenlord4711 Member Posts: 115

anything that is an "out of the way" thing to do nothing but try to make the other player mad. I.e. macros for flashlight they literally only exist to piss off the killer. they server no function other than that. on killer side it would bing bong standing over your body binging and bonging constantly. it serves no purpose but to try to get a reaction. that is toxicity.

• RainehDaze

Why is it incumbent on the victim to get over it whilst everyone trying to be a jerk is fine? You shouldn't have to tolerate bad behaviour to enjoy a game you've paid for.

It also reminds me of a childhood full of really ######### awful advice for how to deal with bullies.

• Uriah119

Example from the match: One person on hook and the team has one gen to complete. Instead of completing that they spend the entire time blinding, head oning, dropping pallets, rushed actions etc. There wasn’t a rhyme or reason to that play style. And honestly a few chases at the beginning were fun. But then it went from me being the predator to them.

• Uriah119

Agreed, that literally like telling the women to dress a certain way while not holding the guys accountable to their actions.

• RainehDaze

Best case scenario, farming you for BP, which would probably be borderline, but since they could just win the match and then move onto another one, it's probably for the sake of bullying.

• Krimbar
    Krimbar Member Posts: 200

I think anything can be toxic if you want it to be so. It's all about your intent. If you click your flashlight at the killer to provoke them, that can be justified as being a strategic intention, but if you click your flashlight 10000 times with macros to annoy the killer, that's pretty toxic in my opinion.

Teabagging at the exit gate is just pixels moving on the screen lmao, but if your intention is to annoy or mock the killer, then it's definitely toxic intent.

If you camp a survivor after the last gen is done and the other survivors are trying to lure you away, camping seems like a pretty strategic choice to me, but if you camp your first hook at 4-5 gens left, that's either a very bad strategy or toxic intent.

If you play mariokart and are way ahead of everyone else and on the last lap you stop right before the finish line, waiting for the 2nd place to catch up giving him false hope of being able to pass you, just to cross the finish at the last second, that's pretty toxic.

Bad Mannerisms always have toxic intent, if you want to annoy, mock or simply are trying to disrespect somebody....that's pretty toxic if you ask me.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

This is a pretty good definition. The main problem that DbD has is that the survivor side is more toxic. I'm not saying that more toxic people are drawn to survivor than killer but there is extra confidence in numbers. Since there are 4 survivors and only one killer survivors who have toxic tendencies feel more emboldened. Or, in the case of SWF that do this, come together specifically to be bullies and make people feel bad.

That type of attitude is bad for the game as it discourages people from playing killer. I just ignore them now as there will always be terrible people and you can't escape it. I'm heavily on the care bear side as a killer and I still sometimes get tea-bagged by survivors who I literally let go and somehow don't realize I hook or slug and then run away to give them more of a chance.

Also, I don't focus on the bad people as they are a minority of the community but rather on the good survivors who will say gg or express appreciation for an exciting game, win or lose. One terrible group doesn't represent the other groups who are just trying to play the game.

I also think that a good thing to do is to play both sides to gain an understanding of both. As an example, blinding after a pallet is getting a small tactical advantage and getting more bp. It's also good because then you can honestly ask yourself when you're annoyed if you would have done the same if you were in that situation.

Of course, some people are just out to be pains in the butt with their multiple head on and flashlight stuns. I just focus on the BP I'm earning while looking for a mistake and then exploiting their mistake. Overconfidence on the other side really helps get that 4K or 3K and a hatch escape on a team that would have had a 4 person escape if they had just respected the killer.

• gentacle
    gentacle Member Posts: 260

You guys are equating playing an asymmetrical video game to harassment if someone doesn't play the way you want them to. You can only control your response to actions in video games. If they're taking it outside the video game or hacking within it then you'd have a right to be upset. Opt out, take a breather, etc, there are many healthier ways to deal with people abusing effective tactics or trolling than whataboutism.

• Fnatic47
    Fnatic47 Member Posts: 396
    edited November 2021

However i love those survivors who tbag and make flashlight sounds to get the attention of the Killer and after 5 or 15 seconds chase they get down and then DC(Disconnect) 😅

• Uriah119

So while I agree with your controlling your reactions statement there is a reason why unsportsmanlike behavior exists. And right now there’s no penalty for that. You can be the biggest tool to either your own team or the killer and no repercussions. That has to change or eventually no one will want to play. It’s not about mental resilience, it’s about being a decent ######### person.

• RainehDaze

I don't think anyone's saying it's harassment if someone doesn't play how you want. That's a very peculiar definition of toxic behaviour. We're just talking about what it is; i.e., what sort of behaviour in the game is inherently detrimental to its player base and experience.

Telling people to get over it or leave tends to have that exact result on groups in the long run: they leave, and then you're left with nothing but trolls, then nada.

• Uriah119

I think GTA Online did it the best. Put all the jerks with each other.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

Problem is there are a lot of kids that are playing a mature game. Where the parents at???

My guess is more often than not, these type of BMing players are children or have arrested development.

Remember, it always says more about them than about you.