You know you messed up when the most neutral content creator has to make a video about mmr

Options

otz just made a video saying that almost everyone he knows hates MMR in the game and the killer qeues are soo fast that it makes him believe that people are actually quiting playing killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5KjhbxVZrs&t=322s

Comments

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,347
    Options

No but it's interesting to hear his opinions on this matter since he is far less biased than most people at least on these forums.

• Leatherface1990
    Leatherface1990 Member Posts: 718
    Options

I quit, but I'm only 1 person.

• AnObserver
    AnObserver Member Posts: 747
    edited November 2021
    Options

MMR is useful for finding design problems. (This can, and does, include MMR itself)

It is not useful for a varied experience.

Edit: This is also assuming a Skill-based MMR, not a Kill-based MMR

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,096
    edited November 2021
    Options

The idea of moving towards MMR was good. Their implementation has been...awful. I can go from survivors at my skill level in one game to default Dwights with 5 hrs playtime in the next. It's not working or it is working and it's just bad.

They failed to capture any of the meaningful nuance behind good survivor play.

And to top it off, their communication on the system has been peak BHVR arrogance. To paraphrase: "We've even had employees complaining to us about it! Wouldn't it be great it if it captured all the nuance and skill that goes into DbD?!?" Yeah dude...it would. That's why we're upset. What's it like being so tone-deaf?

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,897
    Options

Exactly. Everything is the same for me too. My wait times are instant for survivor.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,158
    Options

But Otz said in the video he's gotten used to MMR and it doesn't really bother him that much. It has nothing to do with his streak videos

He's talking about what he's seeing from other people/his experience with the que times in his region

And people might not be quitting DBD completely, they might just not be playing killer as much/at all and playing survivor instead.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,986
    Options

I'm a killer and MMR is fine, because I'm not sweaty.

• lovemeplz
    lovemeplz Member Posts: 84
    Options

You may have quit and like you say your only one person but if other did the same as you then its not just 1 person who quit but many more. For me boon made me quit killer i still play the game as survivor and its a different experience.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607
    Options

The point is if you are averaging even a 1k and play long enough you reach top MMR. If you even get a 1k your MMR goes up. Leaks on how MMR works from data miners show top MMR is 1900 and you start at 1200. You can gain a max of 40 per match and any match you even get a 1k in raises your MMR. If you aren't top MMR you either barely play or somehow average 0k's more so than any kills, which is the only way you're going to be losing MMR and not constantly gaining. Knowing max MMR is 1900, you start at 1200, and a 4k nets you 40 points means It takes

17 4k's

or 80 1k's

or 38ish 2k's to reach top MMR. It's not very hard to do that at all, especially in the 3 months MMR has been out.

• sadakiyo
    sadakiyo Member Posts: 281
    Options

it has nothing to do with mmr because most people play bad in the evening good players play the game in the morning or in broad daylight.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,812
    Options

Playing on Switch, I don't kill survivors. I often couldn't kill survivors even if I wanted to because I can't track them. The framerate is so low on Switch that I don't get enough visual data to follow them. Because of the low framerate, I have to keep the sensitivity low, so even if I can predict what they're about to do I'm usually still too slow to actually hit them.

Despite practicaly never killing survivors and being in the Ash grades, I'm going up against survivors who are Gold and Iridescent grade (don't say "grades don't matter," they mean something) who know exactly how to screw with my Switch issues and can avoid ever being hit by my weapon once until I go, "Oh, I see, matchmaking completely screwed me here," and I go AFK.

I don't "sweat." I don't run gen slowdown perks. I run Lightborn, BBQ, Distressing, and Beast of Prey. I don't kill. I often don't even hook. My games go super fast if the survivors know how to hold M1.

So why is it that I can play survivor competently and get Ash teammates who don't know what a gen is, but I should be in the lowest MMR bracket possible as killer and yet the survivors are gold and iridescent and can do gens and avoid getting hit at all? It's backwards! Is the matchmaking system actually looking at my survivor MMR when I queue up as killer and vice versa? It certainly feels like it.

No matter how many 4e games I have as killer, I rarely seem to get the kind of potatoes I should where I can screw around and actually have fun and earn some BP. I'm playing killer less and less.

I envy all the players for whom SBMM is working. I have yet to see any improvement in my matches for it.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,648
    Options

Wait, your MMR rises if you get a 1k? That's absurd. The devs have repeatedly stated they consider a 2k the median result they're hoping for. 1k is still underperforming, so why would your MMR go up for that? I've been under the impression all this time that a 2k kept your MMR static, 3k+ was upward movement, and 1k- was downward.

• SunsetSherbet
    Options

This is where the "1k is a win" thing comes from. The Q&A stated the MMR system views a 1k as a win.

• Seraphor
    edited November 2021
    Options

No I average 2-3Ks with hatch. But I get multiple hooks, a high score, and a pip, as opposed to a 4hook 4K camper who gets neither but shoots their MMR up into sweaty hell.

• Seraphor
    edited November 2021
    Options

It's impossible to tell.

Killer MMR is based on four 1v1s. A kill is a gain, an escape is a loss, a hatch or DC is neutral. The 3 1v1s adds up.

But the amount each kill/escape increases/decreases depends on the relative difference between your MMR and the Survivors MMR.

If you kill a very high MMR survivor, and three very low MMR survivors escape, that could potentially be a positive MMR change.

• SunsetSherbet
    Options

You're almost certainly in the same MMR as that 4k camper, my man, assuming you play regularly.

• SunsetSherbet
    Options

That I can't say. But we know how the MMR works, the gains per kill, the starting and the cap. If it works as we know it and the devs have basically said, then you're going to be at that same cap they're at very quickly. My best guess is region or play times.

• Seraphor
    Options

I don't see how.

If you 2k then you more or less break even and barely move at all. If you 3k, depending on the MMR of the survivors, you could still barely move up at all, maybe 1-5 points. It takes 800 to reach the top MMR bracket.

If you don't realise that, then you don't understand how it works after all.

• The_C12H15NO2
    The_C12H15NO2 Member Posts: 335
    Options

I agree with Otz' video. The introduction of boon totems did mess up some killer play styles (most notably hit & run). But besides some minor tweaks to how those skills work i think it's ok & didn't ruin the meta too much. Which is the problem. Of all the perks introduced over the years, there are only about a half dozen that are used on either side which give you a chance to "win". Sure you can have fun with some meme builds but you won't "win" with those.

My main issue is map balance. Maps are not rebalanced often enough. Personally I'd rather have 3 month updates include rebalancing & general game updates instead of new chapters introduced. Move the new characters to a 6 month release. It's weird that as a killer I see maps with multiple god pallets or infinite loops then as survivor i get maps that have huge dead zones with a pallet which is completely unsafe, not even able to mind game. I understand it's hard to balance a map however if the dev team put more resources into improving the game outside of introducing new characters with perks the game could be in a healthier state overall.

• emodeshort
    emodeshort Member Posts: 180
    Options

It's past time to create a casual mode and a ranked mode. so the sweat lords have a place to be as tryhard as they like, and people who just want a fun time can enjoy the game once again.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

Nah, if they think hit validation needs to exist for pallet drops and dead hard but not vaults, they do not know how to design games better than I do. I must be some super genius to believe consistency is better than arbitrary changes. I never even went to game design school to get my game design degree, I am just naturally gifted, Mr. White.

• Seraphor
    Options

You realise Casual mode would be the one full of sweatlords right? Where they can noobstomp free from the restraints of matchmaking.

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,880
    Options

Dbd was fun while it was casual.

If you are good, you get high MMR, which means you go against top players.. which means games are gonna be unfun because the devs balance around casuals.

So don't get good I guess.

• Massquwatt
    Massquwatt Member Posts: 368
    Options

I don't know why they didn't just use the pip system as a baseline for MMR.

1 pip gets you 15 MMR, 2 pips get you 30 MMR, -1 pips loses 15 MMR and 0 pips is 0 MMR.

At least that way MMR is somewhat based on the personal skill of each player and not just totally random conditions like escaping and getting 1k's.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,789
    Options

Honestly, my experience has been that MMR sometimes gives me better matches than I used to get before, often gives me matches that are just as bad, and hasn't really given me matches that are worse. So, there are higher highs, and the lows are still the same.

The one thing I agree with, though, is that my experience was much better during the first couple of weeks after the MMR launched, and then it gradually got worse.

I am kind of curious about whether the system is polarizing people by rapidly moving them up or down instead of spreading them out across the whole scope of the MMR. Like, I wonder if everyone is clustered at either the top or the bottom.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    Options

I've not enjoyed the game as much since MMR has been added. I've hardly played any killer since MMR has been added so I won't comment on their experience (but from what I heard it's pretty bad).

Since I like to play with different friend groups on this game, with massive variations in skill the game has become really unfun. For me it seems to be mainly based off the "win" requirements and how it doesn't include items/add-ons or perks in it's matching.

When I play in my main 4 man team we face Nurses more often than any other killer. Regardless of whether we're playing with a good build or a meme build. If I then play with my real life friends, it feels like the games are slightly tougher but nothing massively different from before.

Solo q is extremely random. Some games I get good killers + good teammates. Whereas others I have terrible teammates vs a good killer. I'm getting teammates who are found in a locker within 30 seconds of the game starting.

I also don't like how when I play with my friends who aren't as good at the game that I'm punished for dying, rather than getting rewarded for the amount of work I put into that those games.

Lobby times from what I've been told have been extremely bad. I haven't been able to play at all really the last month but when I have, it's been 5+ minute wait times.

Tbh is MMR a massive improvement from the previous system? No.

Does it negatively effect me in certain ways? Yes.

I just don't see any real massive improvements it's given us over the previous system.

• SunsetSherbet
    edited November 2021
    Options

Which is 40 2k's. Woah super hard to get. I really don't care how you think MMR works since the data mine video exists. 2k is not breaking even.