Why do people who lose get mad when the winner says gg

I say gg after every single match no exception it doesn't matter how bad i lost or how much i won but some people take it as a personal attack when i say gg after i beat them? can someone explain this to me?

Comments

• Smuk
    Smuk Member Posts: 735

As most likely 5minutes before he had a light show and slavic squat dance on exit gates

• coldestwinter123
    coldestwinter123 Member Posts: 99

when the match is close i don't see no GG's i see GG's when i got 0k's and got 2 long walls in to main building in to a jungle gym in to a shack. Or when i decide to play bubba its gg's on suffocation pit .

• Unicorn
    Unicorn Member Posts: 2,340

Don’t know if you know but people also use “gg” for “Get good”.

That may be a reason why.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Not to be pedantic, but it is "git gud," my mythical Unicorn. Don't worry about it, this is a common mistake that people make.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

Its projection.

I wouldn't say gg after a loss, so if you do it you are obviously flexing your victory.

• Unicorn
    Unicorn Member Posts: 2,340

LOL. I appreciate the correction.

I don’t use the phrase, I’m sure thats evident 😂

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I dunno.

People liked it when I said gg after I lost. They didn't like it when I said gg after I won.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

As with everything - context is key. It can sometimes feel condescending to be GG'd by someone who absolutely slaughtered you.

That said, 99% of the time, anyone who takes offense at a simple 'GG' is just being a sore loser.

'GG EZ' though is generally regarded as incredibly BM.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

Context is the key, if you are probably bm'ing every pallet then usually don't expect a gg.

• lav3
    lav3 Member Posts: 758

As DbD is a asymmetrical genre game, saying GG might not come same to opponent(s).

It is not hard to realize when many (I wouldn't say "most") players are either cynical or satisfied with other's misery.

• themoobs1984
    themoobs1984 Member Posts: 619

Sometimes it wasn't a good game. I ignore people in other games that say GG when it clearly wasn't a good game. Some people use GG to be sarcastic.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,154

Just like others said. Even if you play fair as killer you mostly only get GG's with less than 6hooks and 0kills aka a one sided stomp.

Even with my playstyle now of intentionally losing after getting up to 8 hooks and/or 4bbq stacks without killing anyone doesn't net me any form of GG or being grateful most of the time but silence or even degrading toxicity instead.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I usually say gg plus something else, like “gg, that was close”. Sometimes a sore loser still talks trash after that but usually they either say nothing, say gg, or sometimes get into a nice conversation.

• adirgeforthedead
    adirgeforthedead Member Posts: 424

For me, it depends a lot on the match itself. Most people use GG as a means of taunting rather than the match being fun or good in any way or shape. I know some Killers struggle to get Kills or get really bad maps/situations or, as a Survivor, I end up with teammates that are so toxic to the poor player and still say "GG" at the end and I am all "Please, just no". Or Killers who say GG after camping or tunnelling Survivor players are really despicable people to me.

I only ever say GG when it was a genuinely fun match for both sides were a lot of silly things happen. It's rare, but it does happen.

• xxshyguyxx
    xxshyguyxx Member Posts: 312

I always say gg, even when it's a crap match. Sometimes I even throw in the old fashioned "ez" when a spicy survivor main wants to pour salt at the end game chat.

I tunnel Sometimes too. Also camp if I feel the need. Don't tell the survivor mains 🤫🤭

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

Some people are overly competitive and don't consider it a good game if they didn't win.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,311
    edited November 2021

I personally don't get it at all, but then again I've been saying gg after multiplayer matches for what, nearly 2 decades or something now?

I've just started saying gg when I win after someone that lost says it first. And that happens way more often than not, whoever's still there at the end tend to say gg in my experience. I honestly don't really care if they mean it or not, an "empty" gg is still lightyears ahead of rageposting in chat.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

Usually almost every game I end it with gg. I never say gg ez. To me, saying gg ez is like saying "you suck".

• gentacle
    gentacle Member Posts: 260

even if it wasn't a good game, you should say it imho. good sportsmanship is dying out. i add in the "wp" personally because some people will interpret gg in the wrong way but there isn't an accepted diss version of ggwp as far as i know lol.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

They aren't mad at the GG they are probably mad at losing and in the heightened emotional state of being mad at losing they are then mad at anything. GG in their head is no longer a good game friendly ending its a taunt directed at them, why? because they are mad about losing.

If they didn't have fun, for whatever reason, they don't realize that it doesn't immediately mean other's also didn't have fun. But some people can't process this point and expect everyone to acknowledge their version of fun as the only version. So again GG becomes a taunt that upsets them because they are already upset at their own lack of fun.

Online man babies are gonna man baby what can you do? Just say GG and move on. They are gonna be upset either way.

There will be games where you think "man I didn't really have fun but the other team did well GG." If you can process this thought then congrats welcome to adulthood.

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959

I find it extremely tilting when I get like 2 or 3 hooks vs. some full meta sweat squad and they go "wp!" as if getting 3 hooks and 4 escapes is a well played game from the killer. It's really annoying even if they aren't doing it to set you off or something

• Crazewtboy
    Crazewtboy Member Posts: 1,259

Some people in the game with feign sportsmanship to be a twat. So chances are that is what they think you are doing. If someone says GG but the other person very clearly did not have a good game and got BM'd by the other survivors all game I doubt they are gonna be happily agreeing with you.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

I think it all depends on how they played during the game.

If someone is constantly t-bagging and clicking a flashlight then I'd see why them texting "gg" would be annoying.

Otherwise I don't understand it. I usually say something extra when I text "gg" just so they know I'm not trying to be a dick. I'll say something like "gg, tough map for survivor" or "gg, not finding Ruin hurt us that game".

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

I always say GG even if it's a win or loss but I always give a message like good loops or fun chases and I mean it.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

I always say it unless you spent the entire match being deliberately antagonistic.

• crowbarman
    crowbarman Member Posts: 499

It's toxic to send gg as a survivor if the killer got zero hooks.

Was it really a good game for them, do you think?

• aknitus
    aknitus Member Posts: 124

Right. It was a good game for surv but not the killer. That is why they take it as a personal attack. GG"WP" would be the icing on top of it.

• AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723

Because most people cannot handle a loss. It's even worse in this game but there can be a lot of factors. Did your team just literally throw the match by doing nothing at all? Did the killer face camp you to death without an attempt at a rescue? Did the survivors' curb stomp you after throwing up a map offering and having the perfect perks for it? Did the game screw you due to hitboxes, latency or just a random bug? Tilt can cause you to really not be alright lol. I know because survivor gets me tilted but getting screwed due to a hitbox as killer so I slide off of an object with Blight like hot butter will REALLY make you not want to keep playing.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

I say GG whether I win or lose, it’s just a game.

• DeadHardMan
    DeadHardMan Member Posts: 319

Even though "GG" is a sign of courtesy towards opposing players, a lot of people do use it to gloat their victory and taunt.

• Zachcjjj
    Zachcjjj Member Posts: 531

i always say ggs<3 as a default after every game survivor or killer whether i win or lose

• Rougual
    Rougual Member Posts: 526

gg is censored now in chat.

• Zachcjjj

But why do think the community has come to seeing something as light hearted and sportsmanlike thing as "gg" as a BM toxic thing?

• Zachcjjj

me to but people really take it the wrong way so often

• Zachcjjj

its not toxic just because one side did bad you can do bad and have it still be a good game even if you yourself didn't play the greatest

• Zachcjjj

But the amount of times i have seen gg be used as a taunt is like 1 out of every hundred games

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,181

A few reasons come to mind; probably already mentioned, but still:

1. GG can be mistaken for "Git Gud" if left alone. That's at the interpretation of the receiver, which rubs them the wrong way.

2. Some people aren't adult enough to deal with good sportsmanship. Easier to act like a brat to save imaginary face in their world than accept someone could possibly be better than them.

3. The need to validate false, exaggerated beliefs of themselves. It can't be that they were worse, surely! Must be the other got lucky and doesn't deserve their win, because they'd never beat me .. (queue ongoing inferiority rant).

4. And perhaps an important one to empathise with: they're having a bad day in general. Maybe they've been sacked from their job, had a quarrel with their partner, going through anxiety or depression. Whichever, they may not be in the right space to see the good will in it.

• Waterfall
    Waterfall Member Posts: 202

You answered your own question in the title of this thread. Because only when people win do they say gg. I for one never say gg ever regardless of how the game went. I also don’t respect players who say gg after a game since its only said by the winner which lets be honest their rubbing it in a subtle way. It’s way more sportsmanlike to say nothing and move on it’s not such a big deal to win in a game and honestly saying gg is unnecessary.

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209

Winners who say GG first are fairly tone deaf, especially given the often one sided nature of this game. If you think the other side is being a sore loser, that really speaks volumes about why you're saying GG at all.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

That's why I also say things like that so they don't assume....but there are those idiots out there that take everything the wrong way.

• Zachcjjj

i have no problem with someone not saying gg but people getting mad at you saying gg when you are genuine is just kinda weird

• pizzaduffyhp90
    pizzaduffyhp90 Member Posts: 901

they probably get mad cause their ego is hurt when you play fair and they just can't except the lost and when the killer is being a good sport

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209

They're supposed to read your mind and be able to tell you're being genuine? Do you not realize that grand majority of the games are not GG? They're generally 0-1 kills or 3-4. Usually stomps, littered with DC's, BM, Sandbagging, and general fuckery the majority of the time.

Let the losing side say GG first, if that's too hard for people then again, they're not really being genuine about it being a GG. Alternatively, you can rack your brain for a comment that's more than 2 letters to express your appreciation for the other side.

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025

They are just salty babies

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,112

Because it most likely wasn't a gg, therefore calling it one is wrong.

• lordfart
    lordfart Member Posts: 538

I scoff with laughter in any PvP game when people say gg after absolutely annihilating you, like YEAH I BET YOU HAD A GOOD GAME LOL

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,898

It's because after they won they're feeling validated and that gg validates them further. After they lose they're feeling inadequate and defensive somehow and the gg feels like condescension, pity, or a platitude.

People who have a strong negative reaction to being told gg are emotional infants. If it was a competitive match, it's just good sportsmanship.

I think another place people get things twisted is assuming that if they lost they played poorly, and if they won, they played well. Unless you are competing at the top of the food chain, you probably screw up a lot even when you win. And you can play a good game and still lose. And sometimes your best isn't going to be as good as your opponent's best, and you'll lose, and you'll have to accept that. Be gracious in defeat as well as victory.

That said, saying gg after you steamroll someone will probably come off as insincere and condescending, so maybe go with something else, or nothing at all.