Why are people saying the artist suck?

Options
Yatol
Yatol Member Posts: 1,929

Most of my game the Artist is doing fine, not 4k every time but no struggling to do anything either. Only time Artist was a consistent 0k is when everyone was doing the dumb shotgun that alerted every survivor to her almost exact position.

Comments

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,269
    Options

whO??

Who said that????

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

I wouldn't say the artist sucks

I would say i suck at artist

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options

Artist takes a lot of skill and practice to learn, so she might be difficult to play at first. And those type of killers usually get labelled as "bad", even though they're not.

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,649
    Options

I'm one of those people. yes she is strong she can probably 3k consistently the problem is that she is a anti loop killer that promotes w keying all wrapped up in a pretty wrapping. her gameplay ends up in the most boring kind w key for both sides that's why I say she sucks.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,936
    edited December 2021
    Options

I guess people say this so that she won't get nerfed :P

I haven't played her a lot, but the few times I did, I cleared house. When you dominate with her and get the ball rolling, you stomp the opposition pretty hard.

It might be that I played her during the time when she was new and no one knew how to play against her, but I got some games down that were so brutal that I apologized to the survs.

I look forward to play her more in the future, but I also wanna get gud with Spirit, prestige my Clown, finish my Pyramid Head build... There is only so much time every day ;)

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623
    Options

Artist is hard to play. Most people play 2-4 matches and base their opinions around that, so maybe that's why

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,496
    Options

Because with Artist I can hit a survivor with my ability 4 times and not get an injure or a down. Very similar strength to Pinhead. You have to hit 2 crows consecutively to get damage. Miss once, and you have to hit them twice again. And before you say "just shoot the crows regular and not through walls" survivors will just run away from the loop when you do that. Also, I can shoot two crows across the map, but because they weren't perfectly spaced out, I don't get the injure, which is probably where half her strength was supposed to come from. Survivors being able to to run at full speed while the crows are on them almost defeats the purpose of her power. Even Victor is better killer power in that regard. Just because she's a 115% ranged killer who noobs can't beat doesn't mean she's strong.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,179
    Options

I wouldnt say shes bad. But I do find her boring to play.

Because most of my games, it feels like I barely use her power. Or even can/should.

To me, she's another killer that has a strong power but survivors play around it by not letting you use it in the first place and that leads to a match where everyone is practically falling asleep.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

When Blight first came out there were a bunch of people who adamantly claimed he was terrible. (Not me, I said he was really good from day 1!) Of course nowadays those naysayers are in the minority and Blight is generally regarded as one of the best killers in the game.

The moral being every killer has people who post saying how terrible they are. Some of those complaints are more valid than others, but my point is simply that no killer comes out being universally loved after release.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,533
    Options

It's due to people giving their initial thoughts... and others agreeing with no play of their own

The Artist is easy to learn but hard to master... IMO

She's fun to play as (can't say much on playing against her though)

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    Options

Keep going op. You will run into decent survivors eventually that don't just W into your bird and actually change their speed or run diagonally to throw off bird strikes behind walls.

If you can still land hits out in the open then you are still low mmr.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

She’s susceptible to ‘bully’ squads. Her power can be taken away. And a committed player can make tunneling quite difficult for her by negating her power. I’d say this is the core weakness of her after learning her power.

Literally recommend running Franklins on her. I do not recommend it on any other killer.

• Yatol
    Options

when you say bully squad , do you mean actual bully squad or just sweat squad?

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,454
    Options

Because survivors are stronger than killer so all killers "sucks" at high MMR. So it's true that the artist sucks, but she is still one of the best killers in the game and very useful against most survivor teams out there.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

It will take months until many people fully master her and then the same people who say she sucks now, will be asking for her nerfs

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623
    Options

Blight did suck at release and PTB tho, his collision was ass and he was unplayable on console for a few months and is still meh. You couldn't even Rush up stairs in the PTB. Sure he's good now, but he wasn't at release

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

He was solid at release, by the time PTB was over they had already addressed most of the issues with his sliding off objects that were in the PTB. And he was doing exceptionally well on live as well. The people who said he was terrible were mostly just people who weren’t playing him properly or who thought the idea of bouncing off objects looked goofy so dismissed it.

• Yatol
    Options
  • BenihimeWrath
    BenihimeWrath Member Posts: 968
    Options

It definitely sucks to play the artist.

Its basically impossible to get any worthwhile deviousness points because you can't get any actual damaging shots. Every time I pull up crows, survivor yeets off to the next loop and I just have to slap them for some boring brutality points.

I wish BHVR would stop making anti-loop killers because it just encourages the hold W meta.

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171
    Options

Everyone makes good points. She is not weak just easily countered. Shooting 3 crows is a mistake most of time. I have been playing her exclusively (outside of dailies) and i have only lost 2 games. Those losses were 2k's and ya i know thats not technically a loss but most killers need a 3k or better to call it a win.

Theres games where her power is just for tracking/zoning then theres games where you can down a bunch with it. Meaning the survivors dictate if/how you get to use your power....and I dont like that.

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171
    Options

Still love her though and will ride with her till wheels fall off. Just got my prime gaming outfits too super pumped.

• BadLooperQ
    BadLooperQ Member Posts: 277
    Options

I'm dumb at killer and I consistenly get 3K's or so with her...

Which is why I think they'll still nerf her, just like they did with my ex Deathslinger

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,853
    Options

It’s because she’s a new killer that will take time for everyone to master. People were saying the same thing about Blight and look where he’s at now.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,533
    Options

I'm having fun with her

But perks are my biggest issue with her... Cause she's new so I have to spend a lot of BP just to get the perks I feel comfortable in using

I can see where the frustration comes from... Her like others are damned if they do and damned if they don't

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660
    Options
  • StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
    Options

Who exactly says this?

She has a pretty big skill floor, and it takes a while to get to grips with her. She's also pretty clunky.

That said - she certainly isn't bad. I'd put her high in 'A' tier, behind Plague and above Oni. About on par with Hag.

• herbaljellyfish
    herbaljellyfish Member Posts: 115
    Options

Beats me. She demolishes every game I see her in, but maybe that's just MMR. I've only ever escaped her through hatch. Never seen a full 5 gen game with her so far. Every artist I play against does the same thing. Birb at one end of a loop, birb at pallet, zone you to run to an unsafe tile and get the m1. You see people saying just "w key away from her" but that literally doesn't work because of her speed and zoning abilities. I haven't played as her yet, but with any decent map/loop knowledge, she seems on par with the nurse.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    Options

To all the people saying "its because she is new" Please explain the mystical depth of her power beyond placing one crow and hoping the survivor just holds W in a straight line and steady pace so you can time the shot while they are out of sight.

Nobody should be getting crow hits out in the open beyond ranks with 20 hour survivors.

• StarLost
    Options

Try this.

• Loop her until she drops a bird. She slows down substantially while doing this.
    • Hold W to the next safe tile. She'll either pursue (in which case you just repeat the process) or she'll hit you with a bird to swarm you.
    • If she swarms you, get rid of them ASAP.
    • If she attempts to hit you while swarmed, listen for her very distinct audio cue and juke her, as you would a Huntress hatchet.
    • Abuse elevation changes against her.

Survivors that do this absolutely wreck me. When I win, it's because someone decided to hold W while swarmed and didn't try to avoid my follow-up, someone didn't bother to get rid of their swarm or tried to loop me after I'd placed birds.

This exactly. And even at (what I'm guessing is) a high-intermediate MMR, far too many survivors want to be greedy and either continue looping me after I've got a bird up, or don't get rid of swarms fast enough and instead just keep doing gens.

• herbaljellyfish
    herbaljellyfish Member Posts: 115
    edited December 2021
    Options

Then you aren't zoning tiles. You didn't read my entire comment. It's easy for her to zone tiles and to unsafe areas. It's a bit of a stretch to say she is slowed "substantially". You're not zoning survivors into unsafe areas. Place one bird at the end of a loop, another at a pallet and force to an unsafe area. This is what I see every artist do and there is currently no defense against it because of her 115 speed. Imagine if huntress moved at 115, AND could place stationary hatchets that she can send at will AND those hatchets had infinite range, that's the artist. Sounds like you aren't playing her right.

• StarLost
    Options

That's what I try to do actually. As with most killers - it depends entirely on map.

'No defense against it'...that's simply not true.

Go watch some streams of Otz or Tofu playing her, they aren't 4k-ing every game.

Do you record your games perchance? I'd be happy to take a look.