About this Lightborn Debate

Options

So for some reason Lightborn is now the hot button issue. Ive been seeing a lot of arguements from the survivor side of things on both the forum and out of the forum claiming its boring and that 90% of people who bring flashlights just want to meme. The bordem comes with denying them their fun with the flashlights and making them just play the match out normally. What I want to know is what is the super fun, 'break from mundane' gameplay youre getting screwed out of? Is it blinding at pallets and vaults? 90% of my games with flashlights are just that. I get everyones fun is subjective but if someone on the other end of the Lightborn debate can elaborate on the "meme" plays they are losing out on.

Comments

• The_C12H15NO2
    The_C12H15NO2 Member Posts: 335
    Options

It's coming up now b/c killers run the perk more due to the event. besides blast mine and flash bang perks, firecrackers are all over the bloodwebs right now. and since flash bangs many survivors are on point with their flash bang/firework hits. so yeah, it makes sense killers run it even if they don't see a flashlight in the lobby.

• ScottJund
    ScottJund Member Posts: 1,115
    Options

I don't think these opinions are widespread enough to justify people debating essentially nothing though

• Fraudette
    Fraudette Member Posts: 84
    edited December 2021
    Options

I can't even imagine being upset at a killer running lightborn. It's a niche perk that works in specific scenarios; if something isn't brought that meets the requirements of its usage, then it's basically an empty perk slot. And if it does work and manages to do its job to prevent the blind, then great! I don't see why people are suddenly fussing over whether or not its fair, it seems rather abrupt that this has become a debate.

I agree with the comment above; is it a good perk? That's something to debate if you're so inclined, because its just so situational, and due to this it becomes a bit of a risk to run it. But to call it unfair or boring is just silly. I've also yet to meet anyone who actually has an issue with it.

• Marihel
    Marihel Member Posts: 53
    Options

I think it is a pretty decent perk. It counters some survivor perks,like flashbang and blast mine, and items. So what if they stop trying to flashlight save? You're still getting value because they cannot rescue whoever is on your shoulder, unless you walk through a pallet or they take too many hits.

But it definetly isn't a perk worth being upset about. And if someone does get mad about it, who cares? Seriously.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,195
    Options

Who cares? It's not a broken perk and flashlights aren't broken either they're easily avoided, these days people are complaining just to be complaining about anything and everything, anytime someone loses a match the Morton Express comes into the station with a lifetime supply of salt and empty excuses.

• SomberNokk
    SomberNokk Member Posts: 732
    Options

It has you and spooks making vids on it, besides, give me the ideal sample size it takes to warrent a conversation. I just wanna now how exactly it ruins games for people in terms of having fun in the match.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885
    Options

There is no risk to run it. Killers can see if they have Flashlights in the lobby or not, so they can run it of they want to or not. The only risk is if they play the annoying switch out to a different character before the match starts. That happened to me a few times, no survivor had a flashlight I switched lightborn out with something else and at 3 secs before match starts 3 of them change and now have 3 flashlights and me without lightborn. That match was a bully filled hell, needless to say I was watching stuff on YouTube while they held the match hostage for 40 mins.

• Marihel
    edited December 2021
    Options

This is something the devs should have addressed years ago tbh. Everyone should be locked with the items/add-ons/perks they picked and joined the lobby with, OR add 15 seconds to the lobby timer when a Survivor swaps character so the Killer can choose to stay or leave.

Edit: To prevent lobbies being held hostage for the fun of it, based on the timer idea, make it so you can only swap your character once and then it's locked in for the match.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

I dont browse the forums, reddit and DBD generals on a daily basis but I dont remember seeing any "nerf lightborn" threads or comments lately (or ever), are you sure the perk is in a hot spot or a gross exageration?

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885
    Options

Killers are locked into what killers they play and cant switch out so survivors should be held to the same standards. TBH that's not a bad idea but people would complain that they get locked into using a build they ment to change blahs blahs. I would make it like you said it adds a few seconds to the timer if they change out items at the last second, or just set a locked time where they cant switch out items or characters. Say timer starts at 40 secs at 20 secs survivors are locked so if they do the switch a roo the Killer has time to react.

• SomberNokk
    SomberNokk Member Posts: 732
    Options

Im not grossly exagerating anything, Im not claiming that the entire community is in shock after the realization that lightborn is a perk. A thread was started a few days ago about lightborn, some big content creators made videos and statements and parts of the community responded. Just out of the people who claimed that lightborn was boring cause it ruined their fun outside of getting saves, I wanted to know why cause there hasnt been too much elaboration on it just simply "I wanted to meme". What does memeing mean cause from my experience its just blinding at a pallet which if I couldnt do in a game, I wouldnt consider that match boring.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

Scott had a decent short video on Lightborn the other day which made some good points

• The main downside as he sees it (and I think I agree) is that once the survivors know you have Lightborn they stop trying to blind you and go back to doing gens. Which is bad because overall the last thing you want is survivors being time efficient on the gens. You’re better off typically if they’re goofing around trying for flashlight saves of each other rather than sticking on gens. So it’s a rare example of a perk that actually entices survivors into a more effective playstyle for themselves.
    • Now that being said, it does have some upside in that the survivors don’t know you have Lightborn until they try and blind you with a flashlight and fail. (They wouldn’t even know you have it if a Flash Bang or Blast Mine didn’t blind you, just if they see their flashlight beam isn’t narrowing all the way.) So odds are good that when (not even if, since it’s pretty common) a survivor ultimately tries to blind you you will get an easy hit or down on them in the process. They’ll only fall for it once, but at least you’ll get that one hit. And if they’re in a solo group, or just not paying attention, you might get multiple free hits. (But probably just the one. ) Is a free hit or maybe two worth a perk slot and having survivors stay on gens after? … Probably not. But it’s something at least. 🤷‍♂️
    • Now all that being said, I admit I run Lightborn sometimes for the hell of it just to mess with flashlighters because it’s funny when they panic after not blinding you. 😄 I usually do it as a gimmick build with Lightborn and Brutal Strength for quick pallet kicks while they try a pallet blind for an easy hit, as well as some combination of maybe Endurance, Agitation, Mad Grit and/or Fire Up for even faster pallet breaks and possible hits on people trying flashlight saves. Again, this is by no means a great build, it’s Gimimick-pocalype! But hey, meme builds are fun sometimes. 🙂
  • Marihel
    edited December 2021
    Options

I see your point, but it would be their fault for joining a lobby without checking their character first. Everyone has infinite time to equip whatever they want before they look for a match.

If it were for me, the only things you could interact with in the lobby would be chat, bloodweb and ready/unready button. By watching my fiancé play Killer for a long time it isn't a very common occurrance, at least in his games, but when it happens it's just plain stupid and unfair towards Killers. No one should ever be forced into something they did not ready up for, especially if the game doesn't give you the time to react and equip something to counter this last second changes.

Apologies for taking the thread off track.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

Am I allowed to hold the opinion that Lightborn is both a bad perk and an unhealthily designed one? I think the only reason it isn't as obvious is that flashlights aren't very good in the first place, (IMO) and the perk does nothing if flashlights (or firecrackers or one of two specific perks) aren't in play. But when it becomes an option worth using, it completely neuters an entire item full-stop.

• psionic
    psionic Member Posts: 670
    Options

Actually, survivors have a notification event when they try to blind a killer with lightborn...

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,687
    Options

Is that only if you would have gotten the full stun, or any time you use the flashlight? I did notice it when I Blast Mined a Billy recently, but at the same time, I'm always kind of shocked how long it takes for survivors to clue in that I'm using Lightborn when I bring it, and acting like you're afraid of the flashlights seems pretty effective in prolonging the ruse. OTOH, I only bring it if it's a full flashlight lobby (at that point it's just a QoL perk and a shield against Shenanigans), so there might be a bit of confirmation bias there - those survivors really want to use their flashlights.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,831
    edited December 2021
    Options

I run Lightborn 100% of the time to avoid the annoyance. Countering flashlights has been too iffy ever since dedicated servers went online (possibly also console sensitivity isn't fast enough when reacting, but I don't play on PC so I can't make a comparison). Being able to get blinded from outside your FOV and through boarded-up windows is a load of crap. Either I run Lightborn and play for my BBQ 4-stack, or I see a flashlight and slug all 4 survivors before bothering to hook anyone. Which option is more fun for you guys? I don't have chat and messages are turned off, so you'll have to let me know on the forums which playstyle your prefer.

I don't find being flashlight blinded fun when I play killer. Yeah, it's fun to blind killers as a survivor, but I can't be upset at a killer who doesn't want to be blinded. One thing perks can do is help avoid stuff a player doesn't like, for example running Ruin or CI to avoid gens popping too fast, or running Bond or Empathy to avoid to avoid being sandbagged.

Not that many killers run Lightborn, anyway. Nor do I think there could possibly be that many survivors complaining about it. This seems like one or two people said something and everyone else was like, "ohmigod, people are saying this?!" In other words, I think the reaction to any complaints has already dwarfed the original complaints.

On a related note, one of my most fun meme builds as killer was Lightborn, Agitation, Starstruck, and Iron Grasp or Mad Grit. My only goal was to pick someone up and then down the survivor who ran out for the flashlight save. Good times.

Edit: To answer the original question about what "meme plays" I lose out on as a survivor... I suck at using flashlights, so I'm either using something like Flash Bang or Blast Mine if I'm attempting to blind the killer. I would lose out on getting the blind when he kicks a gen, mid-chase blinds, and saving someone off the killer's shoulder. In two of those cases, the blind isn't that helpful and I'm doing it for memes or a Tome Challenge; I don't really lose out on anything, I'll just stop trying to blind and focus on objectives. Now, if I'm trying to blind the killer to save someone, that's not really meme-y, and trying to claim such would be disingenuous. If that save went through, it would cost the killer a lot of time and points. The killer brought Lightborn to secure their catch and get their BP, get their BBQ stack, get their win, whatever. Good on them.

• psionic
    psionic Member Posts: 670
    Options

I need to test, but I think it's only when the survivor would have gotten the full stun!

• CyberDragoon656
    CyberDragoon656 Member Posts: 960
    Options

Given how survivors are using the items though I think it's still worth having at least as an option

• MrCalac123
    MrCalac123 Member Posts: 1,147
    Options

There is no "Lightborn debate", just people who understand it is a niche but fun perk, and losers who cry about how now they can't blind the Killer for 80% of the match.

I straight up don't trust nor respect anyone who has a legit issue with Lighborn.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252
    Options
  • MrCalac123
    MrCalac123 Member Posts: 1,147
    Options

It's not, and I happily stand by it. Getting blinded isn't fun, getting blinded at every pallet drop is not fun. There is a perk that fixes this and is enjoyable to use, so the fact that some people genuinely have an issue with a perk existing that makes Killer more enjoyable is just sad.

• AnneBonny
    Options

basing the respect you give others off of their opinion of a perk in a video game is the sad part. you do you i guess.

• AnneBonny
    Options
  • AnneBonny
    Options
  • PerfectlyPink
    PerfectlyPink Member Posts: 435
    Options

Lol, I was just worried that a mod warned me or something

• jamally093
    jamally093 Member Posts: 1,573
    Options

Why is Lightborn seen had OP or garbage perk like Lightborn doesn't destroy the game but it's perfect for new players it's a perk you don't need to buy from a dlc you just need to grab it from the blood web or shrine I use it when I see two or more flashlights not my fault you brought a purple flashlight and light bulbs. It's a good perk and there's no need to complain.

• jamally093
    jamally093 Member Posts: 1,573
    Options

Well blastmine still effects you with a stun but that's it.

• JimbusCrimbus
    JimbusCrimbus Member Posts: 1,056
    Options

You've got to be a dense moron to complain about lightborn.

• Moplington
    Moplington Applicant Posts: 30
    Options

I'd be fine with lightborn if they made it so it's harder to blind. I hate how it completely makes something impossible in the game.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,124
    Options

Lightborn is the killer's DS: it's a perk of which the value is entirely dependent on the opposing team playing into it.

I don't have any problem with it. In fact, I think it should be partially integrated by default as an anti bully-squad measure. Killers that drop a survivor by getting blinded should temporarily become flashlight immune.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

Lightborn debate??

• jarjargist21
    jarjargist21 Member Posts: 444
    Options

I saw this and well I felt like I should talk about this. Since I am the one who started this all.

My message was that I used lightborn and got the 4 k for it with a 4 men swf with 4 flashlights. And I was trying to encourage you to feel not ashamed to use it. I was cussed out for using the perk, I wanted people to realize that, you shouldn't be manipulated to play that way. I feel like people should play with any perk they want without being told how to play.

And I'm honestly laughing at the threats and entitlement that some players are giving me. True I support what Spooknjukes says as he is honest in my opinion.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    Options

Think of Lightborn from a veteran survivors point of view.

If the killer doesn't bring Lightborn:

• You follow a survivor around, not doing gens.
    • You have no idea when the survivor might go down so your pretty much a detriment to the team.
    • When they finally go down 9/10 it's impossible for you to get the save because of perks (infectious), powers or walls.

Then you see the killer has Lightborn.

• You become efficient and sit on gens.
    • You spend less time messing around because you want to escape so you can keep your flashlight.
    • Your not giving the killer free hits when you go for saves.

Now imagine all this but in a 4 man. They will all have this mentality.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

I would prefer if they found a way to make the perk punish flashlights without just rendering them useless. Or if Flashlights had a use beyond blinding the Killer/rescues so that Lightborn doesn't render the item useless (similar to how Agitation doesn't make toolboxes useless).

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

Apparently its a big deal and its everywhere, we just didnt get the memo of something.

Totally dbd community not just making ######### up because they are bored

• CyberDragoon656
    CyberDragoon656 Member Posts: 960
    Options

True however it needs to be a way so survivors can't abuse it though cause nowadays it's used more for bming rather than it's intended use

• GingerBeard
    GingerBeard Member Posts: 271
    Options

There is no debate.

I do agree though that it does suck that the perk completely neuters flashlights (often considered one of, if not the worst item), which in turn also encourages survivors to play more efficiently which is bad for killer obviously.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

Honestly, complaints about Lightborn of all things are downright pathetic.