Anyone else into physical media? (CDs, cassettes, vinyl, etc.)

AnneBonny
AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252

I've got a decently sized tape collection that should be growing soon.

I've got quite a lot of CDs as well but lack storage for them at the moment.

Comments

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

I think I got rid of everything at one point. Sister had tons of cassettes that I listened to as a kid. Then I had tons of cd's.

Then things got more simple and I honestly like it this way. I prefer digital everything and have no nostalgia about these kind of things.

I understand people who do like it tho (younger or older ones), and everyone should enjoy what they love.

Cool collection btw.

• AnneBonny

I def get preferring digital, it's a lot more convenient and costs less but for me I like the look and sound of tapes, plus buying media is a good way to support artists. I was born after cassettes had pretty much died as a format, which I think gives a different overall view of them

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203

I wish I still had my ol' cassettes. I miss them. But I'm living in a very small appartment with my fiancé, and until we move, I can't add more to my shelves than my books.

That's a nice collection. Where did you find them? From second hand?

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,157

I have a ridiculous amount of CDs, Books, Vinyls, and DVD/blu-ray. Alot from before digital media really took off. When record stores started doing Record Store day every year my husband and I would use it as chance to really load up on vinyls and other music. Alot of concerts we would buy music from local bands/opening bands that were so small they wouldn't necessarily be found in stores. I'm also one that enjoys heading to local record store/book store to browse what is there. I've found some pretty cool stuff that way, especially in the used sections.

I prefer physical media. One reason is with alot of digital media in the fine print it basically says it can be taken away at anytime - it's more so an extended rental than actual ownership. Vinyl records sound SO much better than digital recordings. DVD/blu-ray I don't have to worry about AWS or Comcast going down and taking down streaming service with it, can just pop one in anytime and watch. Also when they cut/change stuff years later it's nice to have the original untouched version. Books I prefer holding it in my hand over a tablet/phone - nice to see the progress I've made and feels better on my eyes.

• AnneBonny

Some are from family members, some were finds at thrift stores but most of them were ordered directly from the artist or label, I've got some I bought at a show as well but those are being held onto by someone else atm.

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
    edited December 2021

My mother really loves physical copies like those, and she's not even a music-lover. She has loads on loads of them that she just stacks on walls--they're probably 80% of the structural integrity of the house. I guess it's more about nostalgia than anything, to her at least.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,154

I've got a shedload of cds, cassettes and even some old VHS that I have no hope of ever watching.

Bits keep coming out the woodwork too! Recently found a Lionel Richie "Back To Front" and a copied Marillion "Brave" cassettes! No idea where Lionel came from - maybe borrowed it from someone years back!

• CheeseAnton
    CheeseAnton Member Posts: 882

Don't know if it counts but I love having physical games, it just makes me feel satisfied looking at it. A digital game, sure, I have it, but the box art on physical screams "this is yours" to me and I like looking at it and putting the game into the game slot.

Basically this

excites me way more than this

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703

Games: I have a selection of retro consoles. I never get rid of old games. But in these modern times, I prefer digital downloads.

Films: Physical all the way. With cancel culture and all that nonsense, films are being edited etc for ridiculous reasons. And then you have the situation where certains films are unavailable on streaming or have been made unavailable for purchase.

Music: Haven't brought a cd in over a decade. Usually just use Youtube to listen to Synthewave.