Why breakable walls just aren't working for me.

Options
Johnny_XMan
Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,423
edited December 2021 in General Discussions

Ever since the introduction of breakable walls I have tried to understand their purpose/what they add to the game from a gameplay experience perspective.

The more I play killer the more I realize that, aside from allowing me to make that once strong window, weak... I cannot come up with a single scenario in which they feel like they really add anything special to the game. In fact, I feel like at times they have the opposite effect.

First, what I mean by "special" is that, it does not enhance my experience against a survivor by providing additional player vs player interaction. Something which I personally feel the game falls short on. Right now I feel that as killer they feel like a chore and that I must interact with it (the environment) which in theory sounds great, but all it is is basically a pre-dropped pallet that I just have to break everytime I enter that map.

You ever wonder why you don't ever bother breaking the rest of the breakable doors? Me neither. You just don't.

So in conclusion, I just wanted to bring more light to this topic because I have always felt that maps and environments in general could be the key to enhancing the overall experience for both sides. I know much of the core interaction is going to be dealing with pallets (because of perks etc) but I think there is SO much potential for a different type of interaction during a chase, and I think it is in how we interact with the environment as players and what that means.

Comments

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,069
    edited December 2021
    Options

They're just more busy work for the killer. Hell, on Dead Dog, unless I see someone right away, the first thing I do is go trash those doors because if they're not, it's a free survivor escape.

There's no risk/reward to them, just risk.

Although that said, The Game is the only map where I think it actually works as intended. There is actual risk/reward to them. Keep that door and the survivors might trap themselves but you might cut off the closest hook. Risk vs Reward.

That's what I think BHVR was going for when introducing them but like many new mechanics, BHVR seems to throw it against the wall and hope it works out instead of actually having to design and plan how it works.

• Myla
    Myla Member Posts: 1,551
    Options

Breakable doors are a trash idea and a band aid fix to horrible map design. On a game notorious for having no early game at all and the game starts with 2 or 3 generators this is awful. It's why I have zero hope for any of their new maps or reworks one. It's going to have pre drop God pallets.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

If anything survivors should have to build them for an extra chase tool. Maybe giving toolboxes another use?

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,423
    edited December 2021
    Options

Personally I feel like those doors should already be "broken" when we spawn in, and should the survivor want to seal a door (once), then I could see how it makes sense for the killer to have to break that.

Even then it would make more sense because it would be more in line with the survivability concept that a survivor has to do something in order to gain an advantage. (Since it is not a perk)

It could be something where survivors have to gather pallet scraps to build it, and additionally the designers could create a new special item for survivors to allow them to build it faster if they wanted to. This would also add more variety to what items survivors could bring into a match.

• ClownHorn
    ClownHorn Member Posts: 8
    Options

I do the same thing if I spawn near the doors that I know are a pain in certain maps. Gideon's is really the only map where I will strategically leave a door in place because it creates a corner. Every other map either has doors that do nothing by being there or doors that are another thing I have to worry about and waste my time on.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,782
    Options

Most of them have no need to be in game.

I do however love the walls on Badham, specifically the one at the school that splits the option between faster entry into the school at the cost of stronger looping capabilities for survivors.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,553
    Options

Breakable walls as implemented on most maps are a pointless chore that the killer has to address immediately or lose a chase when a survivor enters that area. It's like Trapper picking up his traps, but for everyone and with no benefit to doing it, only the removal of an unfair detriment.

There's only a few breakable walls that I actually like - Badham (though screw everything else about that map), a few of the Midwich and Dead Dawg ones (both of these maps have god window walls too), and Gideon. Those ones actually represent opportunity costs and there are reasons to keep them up or take them down, which may change dynamically in your match.

God window breakable walls are just stupid and my least favorite part of map updates.