Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

For anyone thinking of maining Billy (From a Billy main)

Don't.

But in all seriousness if you're seriously wanting to improve as Billy here's some things you'll need to know.

1. Be prepared to lose. A lot. When starting out you need to get familiar with Billy's chainsaw and this takes a lot of time. Don't feel bad when you lose and don't resort to just m1ing everyone. Pay attention to survivor patterns and as you get more advanced you can use those patterns to path for flicks.

2. Find your sense. Billy's chainsaw uses the controller sensitivity not mouse sense. On PC I recommend keeping this at 100 for maximum range of movement, on console only thing from 85 to 100 is fine but be careful with 100 as it can be hard to track survivors that are in your face.

3. Q and E. Most of the best Billy players use Q and E to steer the chainsaw due to how sensitive the chainsaw is when using the mouse. This allows for more precise flicks and control. But of course this is all personal preference.

4. Addons. I actually recommend running no addons to start. The reason for this is you need to master Billy at his weakest first as it sets the foundation for the more advanced stuff. Engravings can be put on here in there but I'd recommend setting your muscle memory early so you have an easier time later.

Finally 5. DONT RUN BAMBOOZLE. Now yes bam is a great Billy perk however, it is significantly more beneficial to learn without it. It teaches good habits and makes you have to be creative to deal with windows. Learn without it and throw it on once you already grasp his basic mechanics and chase interactions for a stronger Billy.

Hope this helps and I encourage questions 👇

Comments

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

Please we need more Billy players he's so fun to go against but so rare.

• xxshyguyxx
    xxshyguyxx Member Posts: 312

Billy is fun but mostly for mobility reasons. He's trash at loops. That's why I don't mean him. His chainsaw is crap st loops.

Unless you outposition them, it's very hard to get the chainsaw down.

Usually as Billy, I'll get right up on them, back up some and go for it. That works best. Most survivors these days know he can't turn and simply wiggle left or right.

His addons are so utterly bad, and there are no real fun ones anymore that's kinda why I stopped playing him as much as I used to.

His steering addons are the only useful ones really.

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209

God how my boy has fallen, I miss 2019 when he was great and I played no one but him. Man why couldn't they have just tossed out charge speed addons and be done with him

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,032
    1. Billy is completely capable of winning pubs. (I don’t play tournaments so can’t speak to that side.)
    2. Getting used to the initial chainsaw turn speed is critical to playing Billy and curving. I’ve mained him for years and still oops every so often. A lot of players drop him because they can’t make sense of this mechanic.
    3. I don’t know if this is a brag but I just use the mouse. QE I’m sure can be mastered but I personally dislike switching from moving with my left hand to my right. He’s perfectly fine without this. I should also note I play at a very high sensitivity on mouse. That may be why I do fine with it.
    4. No addons is a common learning strat for any killer. I might actually suggest instead to bring the two heat related addons instead. Air Filter and the yellow cooldown addon. Go crazy with the chainsaw until you develop a better feel for the whens and wheres of a chainsaw
    5. I go in and out of Bamboozle on Billy. Some players think it’s unfair, but my killer experience tells me that generally vaulting a window is a no no. Even with fifteen percent faster vaulting speed, the killer generally loses too much distance by the act. Set ups are usually more productive, but don’t expect hits with it. (Cannibals a different story because of the nature of his saw taking so much longer.) I tend to prefer Enduring over Bam for my chase perk. Want a second chase perk? Spirit Fury.

All in all Billy has one of the simplest powers in the game with lots of small intricacies that help increase his skill cap. It is incredibly satisfying ending a chase in seconds instead of the W / M1 chasing that other killers require. High reward at high risk.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited January 2022

I genuinely think it's harder to be a good Billy than it is to be a good Nurse.

Not that I'm really good at either of these killers, but after a few games with Nurse, things start to click. Billy? I cannot land a Chainsaw to save my life. The only chance I have is if the survivor is nice enough to Shift-W for a few seconds and not make any turns.

I think Billy's real downfall is that Bubba exists. Playing Bubba vs. Billy, it's like running the meme version of a killer. Why would anyone do that to themselves unless they're just looking for Ultra Hard mode?

• ClarityOfWill
    ClarityOfWill Member Posts: 205

I've got about 3600 hours on Billy (double engravings exclusively) and about 1500 on nurse (they're the only killers I play outside of dailies or just to keep things fresh). Mechanically speaking, Billy is much harder since he doesn't have the luxury of ignoring everything in the game. Setting up good curves and predicting whether the survivor goes wide etc. is a nightmare against really aware players. Doable, but very difficult.

Nurse on the other hand is purely muscle memory and seeing how your opponent plays. Are they looking back a lot? Expect a double back. Do they try to corner tech you? Blink to the corner. Hit with DS? Who cares. Throw on double recharge, zone properly and most teams will not be able to handle the pressure you put out. Yeah, she has some god awful mechanics to deal with like blinking down or up when you don't mean to and the infamous blink bug but otherwise once you play a couple of hundred games she's not that hard to be very proficient with.

• Zachcjjj
    Zachcjjj Member Posts: 528

one thing ive found talking to some of the top billys globally is they actually dont use q and e for flicks but instead only sometimes use it for travel

• HR_Helios
    HR_Helios Member Posts: 189

I said in the second section the saw is based off controller sense

• KingFieldShipper
    KingFieldShipper Member Posts: 612

Pretty good post.

One thing I want to mention about re: addonless billy to start with. I don't think it's a terrible idea to start with him at his weakest, but I personally would recommend starting off with at least one engraving - I found it really hard to go from no engraving to one engraving to doubles - it really ######### with my muscle memory after playing him for hours and hours basekit. Like, I guess to rephrase, I had a lot harder of a time getting the muscle memory from basekit -> single than I did single->double, if that makes sense. shrugs

I think it's worth noting if anyone does double engravings and only plays with them, be prepared to spend a LOT of bloodpoints - dooms are surprisingly inconsistent in the web and expensive. gtVel at one point gave me the advice of have a secondary main to farm bloodpoints with and just dump em into billy, heh.

• Tridanoob
    Tridanoob Member Posts: 6

You should only use q and e for just going around the map, you should use mouse for flicking you can flick way tighter with mouse than q and e

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Any guide telling me not to use Bamboozle is not to be trusted.