external sound controls

Aquitus
Aquitus Member Posts: 50
edited January 2022 in General Discussions

im hard at hearing. that mixed with bgm, killer breathing, random ambiance that pretends to be survivors, and the games terrible sound occlusion makes it near impossible for me to discern survivors and its commonly sheer luck if i hear a survivor sound or the map is just screwing with me makes the game more tedious then it has to be.

in my research to mitigate this problem i found a reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/fb894l/a_method_to_lower_the_volume_of_chase_music/

when i followed the steps i tried it out against the dbd bots and it didnt seem to change much with the settings suggested. i wanted to know if any of you might have better luck with it or if you can share any changes that work for you(if you decide to give it a go yourself)

Comments

• OpenX
    OpenX Member Posts: 890

It's supposed to be loud to give the survivors a chance to escape the chase, or something.

Realistically; the footsteps don't even play half the time and there's perks like shadowstep in the game now. Idk why it's still a thing.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,180
    edited January 2022

I've used an EQ in the past. It can be used to make certain frequencies more clear, more or less pronounced, etc., but you aren't altering the actual audio mix itself. So if you wanted to turn down chase music, you would be lowering all sounds occurring at the frequencies of the chase music. You can't really adjust the volume of specific things relative to other things with an equalizer alone. You would be altering the games audio files themselves if you were to simply remove the chase music and that would be against TOS. And like I said, you couldn't do that with an equalizer. You would need other tools.

Enabling spatial audio can help a bit, but that has some drawbacks when it comes to DbD. Like OP said, the occlusion isn't great, and spatial audio can amplify that in certain areas (voices will echo off corn).

• psionic
    psionic Member Posts: 670
    edited January 2022

There isn't so much to do, unfortunately. Dbd's sounds are poorly mixed, and there's a lot of volume compression that messes up with sound clarity.

About the reddit post, that settings didn't seem to change for you because they weren't meant for you headphone. They will sound different to you because each headphone model has a different frequency response. I would suggest to you to seek an specific equalization for your headphone model to make sounds clearer, overall. Search for AutoEQ on youtube, it may help you!

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

"its not a bug, its a feature"

• Ripley
    Ripley Member Posts: 866

Have you tried using Stridor (Nurse perk)?