Self-Care Balance Change

Options
CrtKazz
CrtKazz Member Posts: 214
Since self-care is such a powerful and popular perk, it is always such a hot topic of debate of what to do with it to make it not feel like a crutch but also have a mechanic that has been in the game since launch. It seems as though every survivor mains’ first character was Claudette for the sole purpose of unlocking that game changing perk to every other survivor web (myself included). Therefore I have come up with an idea for self care, as well botony knowledge, to give survivors a tool to help survive but killers a way to counter it (without relying on perks) as well as instilling that sense of fear survivors should feel. This is my main problem with the perk. You Feel Too Safe.

Alas, SC should not be able to used indefinitely. If a survivor can always heal themselves, that removes the need for teamwork and it makes it harder for killers (especially certain lower tier) to dwindle down survivors to an uneven extent. This is a 4v1 not a 1v1. So, give the perk at each tier one self heal use. That means at each rank of self care you may heal yourself up to the extend of three full heal cycles (a max of 3). However if a survivor fails a self healing skill check, or the killer downs them before they fully heal up, the survivors lose whatever percentage of charge from those mistakes. That means they will not be able to fully heal unless they have enough charges in reserve. This will make survivors much more cooperative and not just mindlessly self heal. They must be clever when using the perk like you must with so many others. Survivors will be rewarded however for those good plays and if they saved their charges throughout the match and their teammates are out, they still can take care of themselves for a limited time, but the clock is ticking! 

With botony knowledge, since these two perks go hand in hand, just add the ability to self-heal once at tier 2 and twice at tier 3 while keeping the healing buffs at each rank. This way it can stack with your self care charges if you want to play a survivorlist/support class, or you can just run botony knowledge and have a self heal in your back pocket just in case (with that healing speed increase to boot) 

The key here is that survivors can not heal themselves indefinitely. This is a horror game and being injured without that ability adds so much more tension. 

Sorry for the long post but hope you all find it interesting and sparks healthy discussion. What do you think?

Comments

• ComelyStar
    ComelyStar Member Posts: 187
    edited June 2018
    Options

This is actually a change I have thought about as well. Self Care should definitely not be infinite, a limit to like 3 full self heals seems absolutely reasonable, especially in combination with med kits. Why they haven't done that already is a mystery to me.
    Every tom, dick and harry uses self care and sprint burst.

• Soren
    Soren Member Posts: 369
    Options

My issue with this idea of making SC a "free medkit" is that we already have a perk that does that: Pharmacy.

• ComelyStar
    ComelyStar Member Posts: 187
    edited June 2018
    Options

@Soren said:
    My issue with this idea of making SC a "free medkit" is that we already have a perk that does that: Pharmacy.

Ehm, no? Pharmacy gives you a guaranteed emerg. med kit on your first search, faster chest searching and reduced noise. Nothing of what he suggested has anything to do with this in the slightest.

I think he means more like make it a token based system, almost the same as Stake Out can build up tokens, with Self Care you would be working down until 1 token/1 full self healing cycle is consumed.
    Med-Kits could slow down the speed at which the tokens get consumed as well as speed up the self healing process.

• CrtKazz
    Options

@Soren said:

Ehm, no? Pharmacy gives you a guaranteed emerg. med kit on your first search, faster chest searching and reduced noise. Nothing of what he suggested has anything to do with this in the slightest.

I think he means more like make it a token based system, almost the same as Stake Out can build up tokens, with Self Care you would be working down until 1 token/1 full self healing cycle is consumed.
    Med-Kits could slow down the speed at which the tokens get consumed as well as speed up the self healing process.

Yes quite similar to the token system. And I wouldn’t mind if it medkits actually help you save up your self heals. That way you could even combo with pharmacy and be a mega healer for the team or for yourself. However you want to play.
  • Jack11803
    Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930
    Options

@CrtKazz said:
    Since self-care is such a powerful and popular perk, it is always such a hot topic of debate of what to do with it to make it not feel like a crutch but also have a mechanic that has been in the game since launch. It seems as though every survivor mains’ first character was Claudette for the sole purpose of unlocking that game changing perk to every other survivor web (myself included). Therefore I have come up with an idea for self care, as well botony knowledge, to give survivors a tool to help survive but killers a way to counter it (without relying on perks) as well as instilling that sense of fear survivors should feel. This is my main problem with the perk. You Feel Too Safe.

Alas, SC should not be able to used indefinitely. If a survivor can always heal themselves, that removes the need for teamwork and it makes it harder for killers (especially certain lower tier) to dwindle down survivors to an uneven extent. This is a 4v1 not a 1v1. So, give the perk at each tier one self heal use. That means at each rank of self care you may heal yourself up to the extend of three full heal cycles (a max of 3). However if a survivor fails a self healing skill check, or the killer downs them before they fully heal up, the survivors lose whatever percentage of charge from those mistakes. That means they will not be able to fully heal unless they have enough charges in reserve. This will make survivors much more cooperative and not just mindlessly self heal. They must be clever when using the perk like you must with so many others. Survivors will be rewarded however for those good plays and if they saved their charges throughout the match and their teammates are out, they still can take care of themselves for a limited time, but the clock is ticking! 

With botony knowledge, since these two perks go hand in hand, just add the ability to self-heal once at tier 2 and twice at tier 3 while keeping the healing buffs at each rank. This way it can stack with your self care charges if you want to play a survivorlist/support class, or you can just run botony knowledge and have a self heal in your back pocket just in case (with that healing speed increase to boot) 

The key here is that survivors can not heal themselves indefinitely. This is a horror game and being injured without that ability adds so much more tension. 

Sorry for the long post but hope you all find it interesting and sparks healthy discussion. What do you think?

One nerf, or the other, not both. Also, devs have said many times it’s not a team of survivors, just people who CAN cooperate

• CrtKazz
    Options
    Jack11803 said:

@CrtKazz said:

One nerf, or the other, not both. Also, devs have said many times it’s not a team of survivors, just people who CAN cooperate

Botony knowledge would not be nerfed it would be buffed because you get additional self heals without medkits along with your increased healing speed. It’s just so survivors can have even more of reason to combo them but give up a perk slot to do so. And that’s fine that survivors don’t have to help but I don’t believe that they should be able to heal indefinitely. It’s literally the most used perk across all platforms the last time devs showed that graph and that’s just sad. Same with hex ruin on the killers side, but that’s a whole other discussion.
  • Jack11803
    Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930
    Options

@CrtKazz

That’s not what I meant. You said 2 self care nerfs, reset progress, and charges. Like I said, you can only do one, not both. Also, the game uses spaghetti code, so perks directly meant for synergy and effects wouldn’t work, not to mention making a perk a direct use to another is something they won’t do.

• SoulKey
    SoulKey Member Posts: 338
    edited June 2018
    Options

Self-care is way overrated, yes it's a meta perk but it's not game changing as you think. I see it as a waste of time for survivors, i even don't run it many times and i do just fine. But to make it limited use, this will be so hard especially for SoloQ, which is sorry to say; CANCER. If anything, it will just promote more swf.

Not to mention that, taking a hit; doesn't always mean we rush the hook for bodyblocks and bully. Some killers could land hits very easily (aka nurse). This would be a superb buff to nurse mate, having only 3 heals. Being a meta perk does not justify a nerf, otherwise lets nerf all the meta perks on both sides that has been there for almost a year.