What do you think about Corrupt Intervention and Borrowed Time becoming basekit?

I know giving survivors a meta perk for free is quite controversial, but lets be honest, the survivor experience is built around this perk existing. Much like the killer experience is reliant on some sort of early game regression due to big maps and survivor spawns. I think this would be a good trade

Comments

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564

We have this perks, so if you need them use them. They don't need to be basekit.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,612

I do approve of a nerfed variant of Borrowed Time becoming basekit, but I don't know that Corrupt Intervention would actually give the same value when made basekit- it's already kind of inconsistent, which making it basekit wouldn't fix.

I think a better fix to generators flying would just be to take a hard look at how many repair speed boosts there are, and whether some of them could be scaled back or reworked to do something else.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

I don't want corrupt.

• Elfinlocks
    Elfinlocks Member Posts: 13

I don’t use corrupt because I find it incredibly boring and half the time it ends up shooting me instead by forcing survivors to split up.

I use borrowed time because it lets me have a crutch to make a bad decision. Yes, I ripped my friend off the hook in front of the killer’s face. Yes we’ll both be running away now.

Maybe encourage survivors to either use the perk slot or learn when to take people off hooks. If you’re going to rip someone off the hook without bt, it’s now on you to take that protection hit. Otherwise it’s your fault your friend is now on second hook.

• Oiry
    Oiry Member Posts: 218

I like both idea. Corrupt sometimes is kinda bad, because it can force survivors to do the gens I don't want them to do. A notoriously great example for this is Storehouse.

Another problem with corrupt is that against focused SWFs it may force to just 2 min stealth it. If it's basekit everyone may just decide to stealth it, and that would be boring. People suggested BT + Lethal Pursuer instead, as a more straightforward and interactive solution. I'm not a fan, though.

I feel like the map design is a huge issue when balancing the game. Maybe doing smth like BT + all survivors always spawn together unless used an offering. I feel like making survs spawn together is long-time overdue. But I guess I'm alone on this :D

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

They'd have to be nerfed versions if we were to consider them as base kit.

• Tiufal
    Tiufal Member Posts: 1,252

I dont think buffing already strong killers is a good thing at all. For survivors its different for certain perks like BT. Survivors are forced to run them in order to even get a chance of playing the game. By making them basekit the game would become far more playable.

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981

I do not think that one should be given out as a compensation for the other. They address different problems and should be evaluated on their own.

A different version of Borrow Time would be a good option. Maybe a Borrow Time that removes collision from the survivor so that he can escape for sure and does not abuse it for Borrow Time bodyblock-plays. The goal here is clearly to remove camping and that goal I support.

I feel different about Corrupt Intervention however. While this is a good idea to slow down the early game this can quit easy push Killers like Hag over the edge, not to mention it would benefit Nurse, Blight and Spirit just as much and those Killers do not need help. If we introduce a basekit mechanic to slow down the early game we should think about Killer specific abilities or a Killer specific stat.

• BlindMole
    BlindMole Member Posts: 649
    edited January 2022

I think we should give neither. Its a very slippery slope and even if its done, 2 minutes later both sides will demand more. Survivors will state that now they want DS basekit, killers will state they now want NOED or what ever

• Sakurra
    Sakurra Member Posts: 1,046

I would love it. Definitely

• psionic
    psionic Member Posts: 670

Survivors still spawn glued to a generator even with Corrupt Intervention, so it does not solve the weak early pressure that killers have.

About Borrowed Time, I honestly don't think survivors need it as basekit, the game is not unbalanced without Borrowed Time. Survivors do need gameplay changes to make their role more interactive.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,699

I really don't want any perks to be basekit.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

I really hate to even type this, but I feel like if anything kindred should be the only perk that would become basekit for survivors. Unfortunately most of my reasoning is because too many bad survivors think they're too good to use it, then they turn around and complain about how awful solo queue is.

One of the worst parts of having it is being able to see those same people crouch in place doing nothing when the killer is on the other side of the map, nobody going for a save when its safe but divebombing the hook when the killer comes back, and so on. Basically things they would have to be completely stupid to do with that same info.

• DBDSM
    DBDSM Member Posts: 134

I say go for it. At least PTB test it.

If CI becomes basekit, they could change the actual perk to block totems at the start of the match, which fixes spawning problems and nerfs boons without actually nerfing the boons themselves. It might also help change the meta for killers somewhat. I vote yes to CI basekit.

BT being baskekit might be too strong, since it is a free health state. Maybe if they changed it so each survivor can only apply BT the first time they unhook another survivor, but that's just a nerf to BT itself, which I think would be a bad idea. Ultimately I believe they can't make BT basekit without nerfing it in some way, so I would vote to not make it basekit.

They aren't equivalent perks though. BT is a free health state and CI POTENTIALLY delays the game at the start, there's no guarantee that survivors won't just run to unblocked gens and get to work. People are saying basekit CI would be too strong on S tier killers, but let's not forget how insane basekit BT would be on SWF groups. I guess if every killer knew that BT would be in play, we could adjust our gameplay to match. I just don't think CI basekit for BT basekit is a fair trade.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

I don't mind the idea, but I think both would need a nerf. Half the CI duration (as it stands, it causes a lot of players to just stealth it out, leading to longer, more boring games) and something to remove BT's offensive ability, while keeping it as an anti-tunnel tool.

The issue is when a perk is so necessary that the situation becomes 'you either have 3 perk slots and this now, or you're playing the game wrong'. BBQ feels like that for killer, and honestly Kindred for solo survivor (Dead Hard is another offender).

This is more about the delta between 'good' killers like Blight and Nurse and 'bad' killers like Pig and Wraith.

It would have to be nerfed. The killer aura aspect of it is what takes it from a QOL perk to a five star monster. Survivor auras only? Maybe. Killer aura? Nope.

• OpenX
    OpenX Member Posts: 890

Uhhh, actually yes. BT/DS are kinda required to beat a camping and tunneling killer. Like the killers who start the camping at 4-5 gens left with a mori ready to go so they can ignore the DS after camping someone to half. Those are exactly the people who you need it for, especially if they are playing a top tier killer on top of it all.

If I don't bring BT into a game as a solo survivor I basically accept I am willing to let my teammates die if the killer starts to camp. Bodyblocking and such only gets you so far, especially if the killer is straight facecamping and you are the only person in position to make the save.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,707

Although it might be a fair trade in the best case scenario, corrupt sometimes doesn’t work or can even backfire, depending on spawns and the gen layout. It’s also risky with any kind of hex totem other than the ones that don’t appear at the start of the match.

Also if it were to be basekit I’d imagine hiding for 2 minutes would become meta in swfs and maybe some solo games as well, which is extremely boring and something I personally hate doing as survivor.

• Tiufal
    Tiufal Member Posts: 1,252
    edited January 2022

Thats nothing to do with survivorrs being weak or not. Its just straight out annoying to get tunneled, camped and slugged nearly every game, just because its possible. So survivors are forced to run certain perks in order to play the game and not being hindered by a certain someone. so first step devs have to do is to get rid of those hindrances as much as possible.

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171

It would solve to huge problems in the game right now with early game and camping. They would have to rework the perks to be something else so won't happen.

• Ripley
    Ripley Member Posts: 866

I'd say no. Making both these perks base kit are band-aid solutions.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

That's like saying 'CI and NWO are needed to beat a stacked SWF, so we need CI and NWO baseline'. You can't make sweeping balance changes because of a worst case scenario.

It's best to just remove the possibility of that scenario - which BHVR are going to do (the mechanic change to eliminate facecamping is now at the internal playtesting phase).

• Lat0
    Lat0 Member Posts: 92

It would be a boring change and wouldn't fix anything

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,542

At this point, I don't really care.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,063

If you make Corrupt basekit, you might see an early game meta of not doing anything for two minutes, hunting totems, opening chests, etc. The only killers that are happy about this are Trapper and Hag. Hexes would become weaker as a result - running Corrupt with hexes is almost always a bad idea, because survivors are likelier to find them at the start if they have to move around from gen to gen.

Bodyblocking with BT would become the norm (well, more than it already is), but mostly, survivors get room to run a fifth meta perk.

I'd rather see fixes to early game gen/chase speeds and hard camping than patchwork solutions that add in their own problems.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited January 2022

This. BHVRs solution for a problem is "here's a perk. That'll shut them up" but when there's so many perks that feel required to play the game you don't have many options. As killer I feel 1 perk must be dedicated to gen slow down. Another perk should be tracking to help me find people. That leaves me only 2 perks to really experiment with. Half my load out is already decided for me. As for survivors they have 16 perks to play with. This is not a solo vs swf topic. Even if they aren't in a swf and don't have headsets they are still on the same side. They can work together.

But to be honest. As a killer 1 perk is reserved for gen regression so corrupt being basekit would actually help me. It would free up another perk slot for something else. As for BT being basekit. When I play killer I just assume all survivors are running BT+DS+DH. So it wouldn't really change my game play. It's still not a solution for poor game design.

I'm kinda on the same page. The game is so messed up right now I've had no desire to play for the last 3 chapters.

Post edited by EvilJoshy on
  • Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,893

I kind of agree with BT being base. If it happens then they can finally rework BT and survivors can free a perk slot because the band aid has been ripped off. By putting perks in the base game where ripping the band aids off and fixing the game

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209

Like as in just making the current versions of them base kit? No thank you. A nerfed or modified version of them maybe but I'd have to see it.

• hiken
    hiken Member Posts: 1,188
    edited January 2022

corrupt intervention being base kit makes sense since is the only way we cant prevent a HUGE rush to those far gens without the killer bieng able to do anything about it if u are a 110/115 killer.

borrow time base kit could be too strong, makes sense to bring the perk, realistically unless the killer is just hardcore camping is not really neccesary and still coordianted gameplay (unless isnta down killers) can make the work done rather easily, can be hard for solos tho...

• buzzaman
    buzzaman Member Posts: 119

The biggest issue is spawns imo, and corrupt does improve that sometimes more sometimes less

• buzzaman

Absolutely agree. Survivors should always spawn together and little bit away from gens

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,064
    edited January 2022

Thought: make the old version of Borrowed Time (triggering when inside the Killer's terror radius) the basekit and have the perk remain as-is with BT No Matter What.

Though I'd prefer the basekit version be "within Killer's proximity" rather than "within Terror Radius" so at to include Wraiths, Ghost Faces, etc.

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147

So long as killer is buffed to compensate I’ve no issues. Corrupt + pop base kit would be quite nice, maybe NOED too.

• buzzaman

Lethal can produce some very unfun situations. You can spawn relatively close to the killer in a dead zone if you are unlucky. If the killer has an insta-down for example, that will lead to complaining.

• buzzaman

You know what the community is like: Make any one-sided changes and people start screaming. You have to give both sides something to make people happy.

Any balance change you make will influence the strongest killers just like it does the weaker killers and there is no way around that.

• buzzaman

Well If I spawn at a corrupted gen I do get early game pressure no?

This game wouldnt be playable for survivors without BT. Thats why so many people are running it.

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

Realistically, they'll give BT base and give killers nothing at all. Don't be ridiculous.

• buzzaman

That argument is totally fair. I think it would be fair If they only get a nerfed version of BT to compensate for the free perk slot

• Travis_Bateman
    Travis_Bateman Member Posts: 279

He said corrupt intervetion,he didn't mentioned any "killer"