Is there no way for Dead by Daylight to detect irregularities within the game?

Options

This happened twice already... spawn in a map everyone is down on the floor due to a hacker.

Everyone that was in this match had seen a hacker at least 1-2 times.

Yesterday I was excited about this event, now not so much. 😑

Comments

• Ripley
    Ripley Member Posts: 866
    Options

Think about it, either the game has to track this stuff locally, which means a hacker can manipulate what gets sent back to the server, but also adding to CPU etc, or it has to be done server side, which means increased network load and backend to support it.

• Big_Tony
    Big_Tony Member Posts: 14
    Options

It's only going to get worse. BHVR does not care about this kind of stuff, they're even telling people to use a VPN (which they also even admit is against Steam TOS) if they get DDOSed instead of fixing their unsecure lobbies.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,423
    Options

I think they need to implement a better reporting system.

Just had another hacker who claims they have 11k followers all due to hacking. I linked their discord page to BHVR since apparently they flat out admit to hacking.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,188
    Options

It's not something that should be difficult to implement and it wouldn't cost much processing power either.

They could also easily check for a game never ending after the EGC has started. This would prevent the hostage situation that happens so often.

They could do many such checks, log them and use them to ban people with a slight delay (so all the wastes of skins using the same ones would be ban in one swoop)

It doesn't help sell cosmetics though, and most cheaters are on the survivor side (mathematically) so there isn't much incentive to do so.

I've encountered a lot of cheaters when I was active. There are many in high-MMR. I've even been grouped with some as survivor.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,423
    Options

It's insane to me that a game with such a big IP as this one has so many hacker problems still.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
    Options

It's...tricky.

Server side detection of irregularities on the client side, when that data is being obfuscated by a hack is difficult. This is how you end up banning innocent people because they had a lag spike, or some weird interaction with other software (I remember a catastrophic ban wave in Heroes of the Storm that caught a whole bunch of people because they had a specific sound driver).

There is also a limitation on how much a game can 'spy' on you.

Is it?

The issue is that hacking is a big money industry now. It's so incredibly sophisticated - unless your game is almost totally serverside (LoL, for example), you can probably buy a suite of hacking tools for it for 80 bucks a month or less.

Even massive E-Sport type games with proprietary anti-cheats (Starcraft 2, COD, Fortnite etc.) have had hacking epidemics.

Fortunately BHVR seem to be straight up MAC banning people now, which at least means that if you get caught once, you're never playing the game on that hardware again.

• drsoontm
    Options

Yes, the client-side is tricky.

In a nutshell : impossible unless the kernel is digitally signed and has a feature to prevent non-signed binaries from running. That's what some shooting game is doing at the moment. But since the kernel part isn't provided by the kernel developer (Microsoft) it's radioactive to anybody using his computer for serious stuff.

The server-side could still do the aforementioned checks though. It could at the very least log the ID of every player and then check who is the common denominator on every game that got some cheating. No false accusation then.

Even without banning, stopping cheats or cancelling games with cheats would already be a step in the right direction.

• drsoontm
    Options

In a nutshell : impossible unless the kernel is digitally signed and has a feature to prevent non-signed binaries from running. That's what some shooting game is doing at the moment. But since the kernel part isn't provided by the kernel developer (Microsoft) it's radioactive to anybody using his computer for serious stuff.

The server-side could still do the aforementioned checks though. It could at the very least log the ID of every player and then check who is the common denominator on every game that got some cheating. No false accusation then.

Even without banning, stopping cheats or cancelling games with cheats would already be a step

• drsoontm
    Options

Even without banning, stopping cheats or cancelling games with cheats would already be a step